First trip to Nubble, ME

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I had my first experience at Nubble Light today. One word...AWESOME. The weather was beautiful (contrary to the southern NH, northern MA weather), there were very few other divers (I mean come on...anyone with any sense of responsibility was working), and we hit it right at high tide which made for a very easy entry.

The one negative...As we are gearing up and preparing to make our entry, my buddy mentions that she didn't bring her camera, which means she will probably miss the National Geographic shot opportunity.

From her mouth to God's ears...at about 40ft, we stop to observe a school of pollock circling about 5ft above us. As we are watching the pollock, we notice a black bass directly in front of us watching us. We laid down in the sand and waited...until it came face to face within about 6-8 inches of our mask. Classic.

The usual suspects were also there and accounted for...plenty of lobster, crab, flounder, and a couple of good-sized Sea Ravens.

All in all, a great first experience at Nubble. Looking forward to going back soon...maybe Cape Ann #4 becomes Southern ME #1?

Would love to hear from other NE divers about their experiences at Nubble...post photos is you get em.

Thx,
Matthew

Originally posted by mshieldsdunn
Would love to hear from other NE divers about their experiences at Nubble...post photos is you get em.

As I read this post, I realized something... I've never dove at Nubble just for fun! I dove Nubble for my first two Open Water Dives, and I dove Nubble for my first 3 AOW dives. Other than that I was there once for a full moon night dive, but it was too rocking to get anyone else to go in.

However... I know my LDS is doing a full moon dive tomorrow night, and I'm planning on going. When I did my AOW night dive, they were there so I'm _assuming_ they are diving Nubble tomorrow night, but I'm not positive yet... I'll find out when I call 'em tomorrow.

Oh... For Nubble experiences... the best I can offer is my AOW writeup: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8897

Originally posted by Spectre
However... I know my LDS is doing a full moon dive tomorrow night, and I'm planning on going.

It's a definate... 8 PM tonight @ Nubble if anyone is looking for some full moon diving!

I absolutely loved this dive. Easy entry and exit for sure! The vis is the best I've seen in New England but I have only dove at Ft. Wetherill and Cape Ann.

I didn't see as much life as you did but thoroughly enjoyed the dive nontheless.

I am doing a boat dive to the Isle of Shoals on 8/20 and perhaps meeting some SCUBABoard folks at Cape ann on the 24th, see you there???

Originally posted by shellbird
I didn't see as much life as you did...

It's funny that you mention that, only b/c (in my very limited experience in NE diving), I too have never seen as much life on a shore dive. In fact, we talked to a couple of other dive groups that were there (of which there were only a couple) and everyone seemed to have the same reaction...a lot more activity than normal.

And yes...I would love to check out the Shoals...I have heard such good things about Captain Rob's out of Rye, I think it would be fun for a bunch of us from the board to take over the boat for a day. I know the Isle of Shoals is one of his regular sites.

Thoughts?

Matthew

I have heard that late Aug is when the seals mate and a good time to try to see them off Shoals.

Let's try to make this happen. I am going out on a different boat w/my LDS but perhaps we can pull it together for late Aug. Perhaps post a poll as to date. Is that dive site restricted to Saturdays only like Nubble is? Probably not but thought I'd double check.

Originally posted by shellbird
Is that dive site restricted to Saturdays only like Nubble is?

Nubble is unique... it's a tourist/town ordinance thing...

As for the Isle of Shoals, if your not familar with the sites out there, check out the info on Captain Rob's website:

Isle of Shoals Dive Sites

My club recently hooked up with Captain Robs, and from what I hear it's a great boat... I've not been out with him, but I've met some of the crew. I'd definately be interested in grabbing the boat!

I'll set up the poll so that we can get moving on this...sounds like serious fun!!!

I don't think the Isle of Shoals is restricted by day, but I am not sure...can anyone confirm or deny?

Matthew

You have this stuff right at your fingertips! Amazing. Great info

Back
Top Bottom