First time to Hawaii, looking for info (diving, places to stay, things not to miss)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive with Dive Oahu in Honolulu. Highly recommend them. Randy captains the Anger Management (how can you not love that!?) Lots of great wrecks and lots of fun trips with them.

Hike up Diamond Head. The view is amazing, but the experience of the hike up is spectacular. Wear good walking/hiking shoes that are very comfortable.

I love the Big Island. We will be returning around the same time as you in April and are trying sugarcottage for a few days which I saw here on Scubaboard. It looks like it would be cool, Gary takes his guests on shore dives. There is also the Manta Ray Night Dive, Blackwater dive, boat dives, etc. The landscape is otherworldly, the people are wonderful, it is affordable, and the water is magnificent. Daily snorkeling with dolphins a block from where we stayed? How can you beat that? I have found many great accommodations on VRBO.com
Enjoy!
We just got back from two weeks at Sugar Cottage. It was our fifth trip...always a good time. Hammerhead on the first dive at Miloli'i and days later at Honokohau were several pods of spinner dolphins. Enjoy!

When on Oahu, we used to dive with Surf N Sea in Haleiwa.

We just got back from two weeks at Sugar Cottage. It was our fifth trip...always a good time. Hammerhead on the first dive at Miloli'i and days later at Honokohau were several pods of spinner dolphins. Enjoy!

When on Oahu, we used to dive with Surf N Sea in Haleiwa.
Hammerhead around 10 am?

The Hammer would have been about 9-9:15 am. My wife spotted an octopus as we first dropped down about 20". As we hit the drop off @ 70" we saw the Hammer...hung out with us for 5-10 minutes. Shortly after the Hammer a very large Spotted Eagle Ray came by.

T've been to Maui 1/2 dozen times and all the major islands once. Some of my favorite dive and non-dive things.

The Waikiki Aquarium - it[s a small place with a few interesting outdoor tanks with glass walls. They also have several critically endangered Monk Seals. Inside in a dark room near the back were a pair of Chambered Nautilus. We didn't like Waikiki Beach much - too many people and large tower hotels that reflect the sun in strange ways. Did kind of like the east end on a drive out there. We tried Pearl Harbor/Arizona but the lines were too long . Have not dove there,

My favorite is probably Maui. Good boat diving to Molokini or Lana'i - there's huge schools of fish off Lana's west side = a DM estimated about 4-5000 butterflies off Shaekfin. Around the corner maybe 1000 Moorish Idols, And whitetip reef sharks patrolling the edges, It's also possible to dive with Mantas off Umekahme Beach - it's a cleaning station. For non-dive, there's the bike down the crater, jetskis, parasailing, etc. You said you don't care about beaches but Kapalua Beach is one of the nicest I've ever seen and also a shallow shore dive. There must be close to two dozen shore dives on Maui's west/southwest side.

One thing we really enjoyed was the helicopter flight - ours went over one of the two volcanoes then up the uninhabited east side. At one point we hovered so close to a waterfall that it splashed the canopy. It's also a fast way to Hana with one company - the Road to Hana is an all-day trek - one of the twistiest roads in the US,

If you get over to the Big Island there's often spinner dolphins at the dive sites south of Kona. Plus the famous Manta Night Dive - it's on several Top Dives in the World lists. The other big draw being Volcanoes National Park - it's south so allow a day for the drive.

Kauai is smaller and quieter with less diving options although it's also good diving. Mostly around the Poipu area to the south - two shops keep their boats nearby. Not as many shore dives but two good ones are Koloa Landing south or Tunnels Beach to the north. Kauai is just lush everywhere with hiking options.

I agree with the others - with only a week either stay on Oahu and maybe one other island. Interisland flights are pressurized so no-fly rules apply after diving.

hope my travelog helps. I can't help much with resorts as we almost always rent condos.. The Grand Wailea in South Maui was pretty nice.

We dive with Dive Oahu in Honolulu. Highly recommend them. Randy captains the Anger Management (how can you not love that!?) Lots of great wrecks and lots of fun trips with them.
We are headed to Oahu during Christmas 2018 and looking forward to doing some beautiful diving! What's the water temp. like in the winter? Do we need more than a 3mm suit?

We are headed to Oahu during Christmas 2018 and looking forward to doing some beautiful diving! What's the water temp. like in the winter? Do we need more than a 3mm suit?

I was there last November. It was so warm I kept having to let water into my suit to cool down some.

Back
Top Bottom