First Time to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very familiar with the east side of the island but I've never heard of this place. Is it the upstairs bar across the road from the water that used to be called Andele?
Nope. It is on the water on the east side. It is just before you start to turn around and head back north. It has a few names. Great mojitos.

Thanks so much! So much good advice in here. How many pesos should I expect for an average meal at a sit down restaurant?
Hey, fellow Canuck...tired of that crap weather yet? My favourite "everyday" restaurant is Kooben Laab and I can eat dinner for around 100 pesos. Since I usually have a glass or two of wine, figure on another 100 pesos or more. I don't do desserts as a rule, but will share one if not too full. As for the rest...resist the urge to try and pack your days fill of activities. Sometimes it is nice to just kick back, sit on the beach and have a beer. Are you staying in town? If so, there are some beach clubs just north of the airport road that don't hassle you about ordering things. We sit in their chairs, order a drink or two and sometimes something to nibble on. Prices are decent for beachfront.

no Don
Liquor box is the first place north of Rastas on the east side.
Also goes by the name venti cinco. (25 hour bar).
Sign says "Welcome to Miami".
Best hand squeezed fresh fruit and veggie drinks on the island.

Hey, fellow Canuck...tired of that crap weather yet? My favourite "everyday" restaurant is Kooben Laab and I can eat dinner for around 100 pesos. Since I usually have a glass or two of wine, figure on another 100 pesos or more. I don't do desserts as a rule, but will share one if not too full. As for the rest...resist the urge to try and pack your days fill of activities. Sometimes it is nice to just kick back, sit on the beach and have a beer. Are you staying in town? If so, there are some beach clubs just north of the airport road that don't hassle you about ordering things. We sit in their chairs, order a drink or two and sometimes something to nibble on. Prices are decent for beachfront.

I am very much tired of winter! I am staying in town, so I will check out those beach clubs.

Liquor box is the first place north of Rastas on the east side.
OK, well, I guess their FB page is wrong.

Also goes by the name venti cinco. (25 hour bar).
Sign says "Welcome to Miami".
That hut looks like it would be easy to move. From that FB page...
76720835_2490142467774516_3056539937491910656_n.jpg

OK, well, I guess their FB page is wrong.

That hut looks like it would be easy to move. From that FB page...
View attachment 563713
I think I recognize it now; it looks to be that little walk up bar at El Mirador. I am kind of sorry to see it there; for many years we would stop at El Mirador on our Around The Island Day and there was nothing there but those spectacular rock formations, and almost no one else was ever there. I have a bazillion photos and videos of the surf crashing on the Crouching Lion.

It's really a good idea for Cozumel diving and an inexperienced diver. DAN dive insurance is essential as your Canadian medical coverage won't work there, and accidents happen. I take trip insurance for the same reason.
I think it's important to differentiate between Canadian universal medical coverage and Canadian medical coverage. The universal coverage won't work in Mexico but both my and my wife's Canadian medical coverage, provided by our employers, works just fine and we do not need DAN (and yes, that would include multiple rides in the chamber should that ever be needed).

I think it's important to differentiate between Canadian universal medical coverage and Canadian medical coverage. The universal coverage won't work in Mexico but both my and my wife's Canadian medical coverage, provided by our employers, works just fine and we do not need DAN (and yes, that would include multiple rides in the chamber should that ever be needed).
I've been to Canada a few times but know nothing about all that. Thanks for the information. Even when I hang up the fins for good and quit diving someday, I'm keeping the membership for the repatriation benefits.

So what are Quebec divers going to do now that DAN doesn't provide dive insurance there?

I have no idea how Canadian Insurance works. My American Insurance covered me for a hospital stay in Cozumel only the hospital would not bill my insurance company for my 5 day stay. I had to pay (they took American Express) the bill and then submit it to the a insurance company for reimbursement. I had a non diving issue so DAN declined coverage. We still have a DAN policy just in case we have a diving accident. The local hospitals will bill them directly. Getting reimbursed by an insurance company is a frustrating, time consuming endeavor. DAN coverage is very inexpensive and if we ever need it well worth the cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom