First Time Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you'd paid attention during your nitrox class, you wouldn't have needed to ask that question.

You always round up

I understood that you <quote PADI> "round up or down to the closest whole percentage (e.g. round 31.2 percent to 31 and 31.8 percent to 32 percent)"<end PADI quote>.

I wasn't sure if I "didn't pay attention during my nitrox class" also, so I went and checked. Page 24, left hand column of the PADI EA diver manual.

Maybe PADI changed their "rounding" advice. When I was certified 2 decades ago PADI told me to ascend no faster than 60 fpm. Now they tell me I'm going to die violently from the bends, some nigerian is gonna hack my bank account, and someone is going to break into my house and drink all the milk straight from the container and put the carton back in the refrigerator empty if I ascend any faster than 30.1 fpm.

I knew it didn't matter much for our dive plan if it was 32 or 34 since we weren't going to be anywhere near our MOD, but is that okay for her to say that

I would say yes it's ok as the MOD, for either, would be irrelevant on a 70' dive.

Maybe PADI changed their "rounding" advice. When I was certified 2 decades ago PADI told me to ascend no faster than 60 fpm. Now they tell me I'm going to die violently from the bends, some nigerian is gonna hack my bank account, and someone is going to break into my house and drink all the milk straight from the container and put the carton back in the refrigerator empty if I ascend any faster than 30.1 fpm.
As I said in post #33, that statement about PADI was in error. PADI has always said to round to the nearest whole number, and it still does. I quoted from the current instructor manual.

they aren't quite that bad. It's quite late over here, but I know it isn't +1.5 on the PO2

You are right, it's not that bad. Looking at the oxycheq analyzer it is +/- 0.1%, and the analox one is +/- 1% of reading and +/- 0.2% for O2. That is still assuming that it is functioning properly and calibrated correctly.

I knew there was a 1 in there somewhere :)

-Chris

If you'd paid attention during your nitrox class, you wouldn't have needed to ask that question.

You always round up

I believe what Storker meant to say was, "Since I am a Staff Member on this board and since the rules of the Basic SCUBA Discussion section say that This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times., allow me to supportively answer your question as a first time Nitrox diver with my acquired wisdom and extensive experience rather than jump on you and discourage you from asking questions in the future...."

Right?

Back
Top Bottom