First time NC visitor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello NC wreck divers.
My buddy and I are looking to come down to Wilmington the weekend of August 20th and I had a few questions. We're planning on diving with Aquatic Safari (but are open to other suggestions) and thought about doing the following dives:
Frying pan tower ledge
Hyde/ Markham
My questions are as follows:
My dive buddy is a good diver, great on air, calm, responsible, but he does not possess advanced or nitrox certifications. I have gone wreck diving with him down to 100' with absolutely no worries. Will the dive shops require him to have advanced in order to do these dive sites? I'm not worried about his skills, but would hate to fly down there and find out that they will not let him on the boat.
Will not being able to dive nitrox severely limit his bottom time on any of these dives?
What is the chance around that time for being blown out? I realize no one can predict weather, but is there an average amount of days in August that boats do not go out? This would help me do a risk analysis of the trip. We will only have 2 days to dive, so if we get blown out we would not be able to make up for it the next day.
The last question would be exposure protection. I am not easily cold, and usually dive in a rash guard as long as the water is 78 degrees or warmer. Would a 2MM shorty suffice, or would I need to bring my 7/5MM?

Our alternative is to go down to Fort Lauderdale (again), and dive there and Key Largo for a day each.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers. I'm really psyched to get down there and do some diving,
Kees

The folks at AS a great operation and are reasonable. If your buddy has a log that shows plenty of dives then I am sure they would work with you. Pick up the phone and call. I am not sure, but I don't think either of those sites are advanced dives.

I would suggest a full suit, more for skin protection than thermal in August. It will be in the mid to high 70's. August is generally nice weather (albeit damn hot) unless there is a tropical low around. Forget it if a named storm is marching up the coast.

Have a great trip and welcome to NC.

Also, is there an advantage to doing the wrecks in the morning, rather than the afternoon?
It seems as if a lot of morning trips are sold out, and I would have to ask them to add an afternoon charter to get our dives in.

look at that carefully. many times (though of course not all times), an afternoon is a closer inshore one tank trip. that might suit you just fine, but i wanted you to be aware.

check the bottom times on air vs 28% for about 110ft & see if it is worth your & your buddy's time to get your nitrox card before heading down.

Great information.
I'd rather do 2 days of good wreck 2 tank morning dives. Since Aquatic Safari is pretty booked up for August 21st and 22nd, anyone else we should look at? My guess is that what we are coming down for would be the sharks and wrecks, rather than the ledges. This is under the assumption that the ledges are not spectacular compared to Caribbean diving? My buddy is looking to get his nitrox card anyway, so i will push him to do it before the trip.

Great information.
I'd rather do 2 days of good wreck 2 tank morning dives. Since Aquatic Safari is pretty booked up for August 21st and 22nd, anyone else we should look at? My guess is that what we are coming down for would be the sharks and wrecks, rather than the ledges. This is under the assumption that the ledges are not spectacular compared to Caribbean diving? My buddy is looking to get his nitrox card anyway, so i will push him to do it before the trip.

look at the dive ops up in Morehead City area, just north of Wilmington.
There are several to choose from:
Olympus Dive Center
Discovery Diving Co. their calendar shows they have some openings on boats for your dates
Diver Down Scuba Diving Charters
www.tortugacharters.net

robin:D

well, morehead isn't 'just' north - it's a couple of hours north - but give it a try if you'll have easy car access.

the ledges are known for megalodon teeth, so ledge dives are tooth hunting dives.

I have a place to stay in Wilmington, and get in pretty late on Friday, so i would really prefer to dive out of Wilmington.
any other boats going out on August 21st and 22nd?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom