Question NC wrecks for training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Virginia, and am very interested in the number and variety of wrecks off NC. I have been diving off and on since 2001, but my work situation changed recently and I’m able to dive more. I have nitrox and deep certs, but I want to do more advanced recreational training (primarily rescue) and whatever is recommended for NC offshore. Eventually doubles and AN/DP down the road to maximize bottom time? Who are the recommended instructors that actively dive the area?

I live in Virginia, and am very interested in the number and variety of wrecks off NC. I have been diving off and on since 2001, but my work situation changed recently and I’m able to dive more. I have nitrox and deep certs, but I want to do more advanced recreational training (primarily rescue) and whatever is recommended for NC offshore. Eventually doubles and AN/DP down the road to maximize bottom time? Who are the recommended instructors that actively dive the area?
Hey there. I own Salty Dog Diving out of Beaufort NC. Although some of my crew instructs I would recommend you call Air Hogs Scuba in Clayton NC. While my crew members can do rescue I would recommend you call them and tell them your game plan. This would give them an idea of what level your diving is and what you may need to work on before signing you up for tech classes (this will save you time and money long term) when it comes time to the dives I would be more than happy to let you do your final checkouts off the boat with your instructor , rather than in the quarry.

Hey there. I own Salty Dog Diving out of Beaufort NC. Although some of my crew instructs I would recommend you call Air Hogs Scuba in Clayton NC. While my crew members can do rescue I would recommend you call them and tell them your game plan. This would give them an idea of what level your diving is and what you may need to work on before signing you up for tech classes (this will save you time and money long term) when it comes time to the dives I would be more than happy to let you do your final checkouts off the boat with your instructor , rather than in the quarry.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and offer. Being fairly close to Lake Phoenix, I can appreciate what quarries offer, but they’re not the ocean. I definitely want and need more time in the water to get experience, but if I know that offshore wrecks are the ultimate goal, then some choices make more sense.

There are probably some inshore wrecks in protected water you can start with. Some are probably even accesible from shore. If I remember when I get home I will check the ENC list and see what is around that area.

So, I've been looking at my resources and
.. not terribly helpful. The ENC and AWOIS databases are thick with wrecks, but there is almost no bathymetry data, either inshore or offshore to verify the wrecks. I also have no idea about local vis or tides and currents.

There are a jillion wrecks off NC that are commonly dived. and many instructors in the dive ceters than operate there. For example:

Olympus was definitely on my radar, since that’s where most of the local divers go, along with a couple of the other charter boats. I was just curious if the community had recommendations of specific instructors by name due to the common refrain of ‘it’s the instructor, not the agency’. I suppose that would also apply more generally to trusted shops.

The best one I can think of is the Dixie Arrow, in about 90 fsw. It's a spectacular big fish dive and the depth is about right, vis is typically good, 15 nm S from Hatteras Inlet.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and offer. Being fairly close to Lake Phoenix, I can appreciate what quarries offer, but they’re not the ocean. I definitely want and need more time in the water to get experience, but if I know that offshore wrecks are the ultimate goal, then some choices make more sense.
You’re more than welcome to hop on charters to do wreck dives, but I highly recommend knocking out the skills in the quarry first if your goal is doing classes in the ocean. this will give you a much better bang for your buck so you can enjoy the dive. As far as rescue class I don’t know a single boat that will let you complete rescue diver on board. If you find one please share. Air hogs is actually starting a andp class today, their instructor actually does a lot of nc diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom