First time in the Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know, I thought some of the local charters WOULD go out during the week if they had the divers willing to book it. I'll check around as I rather like diving during the week, too.

Sea ya!

I think if we could get a full boat .. We could convince a charter to take us out.
Bandito had boats in the water Monday Dec 26th.

I love diving during the week.. So few divers out.. I would rather be diving than working anyday..

gis_gal:
I think if we could get a full boat .. We could convince a charter to take us out.
Banditos had boats in the water Monday Dec 26th.

I love diving during the week.. So few divers out.. I would rather be diving than working anyday..

Deepsea Charters out of Anacortes will do mid-week dives if you line up the divers.

What days did you folks have in mind for diving on a charter mid-week. That might be a better idea since the rain/ runoff has blown out everywhere. 'Cept Bob said that EUP had great vis yesterday.
Kirsten

Dean810:
I have TWO family reunions in Washington State in July, and one of them will be in Poulsbo. Thought I just couldn't pass up a chance to try diving in Puget Sound. It will be my first time diving there and I would need to find a charter.

I'm sure this has been discussed a few times before in this forum, but what would be a good first dive, and charter, for a first timer like myself? I understand that summer is not the best time for viz over there, but that's my time. My experience has been in Lake Michigan and quarries, plus a couple of warm water ocean trips

I was stationed there when I was in the Navy 15 yrs ago. There are some good shore dives in the Vicinity if you can't find an avaiable charter. The tacoma Narrows was a good dive. Agate Passage is a good drift dive (don't overshoot your takeout). There are some ledges at Titlow beach. I always saw some octopusses when I dove there. Fox Island was an awesome dive (wall) but dive on the slack.

Looking at the map, looks like Poulsbo, where I will be initially, is a little closer to Hood Canal than Tacoma, but with all that water, ferries and stuff, I don't know if that really means its closer! Got an email from Pacific Adventures saying they they will do charters mid-week if given enough notice so they can russle up more divers. Shore dives still sound great! I'll go whereever opportunity and full tanks of gas will take me!

Dean810:
Looking at the map, looks like Poulsbo, where I will be initially, is a little closer to Hood Canal than Tacoma, but with all that water, ferries and stuff, I don't know if that really means its closer! Got an email from Pacific Adventures saying they they will do charters mid-week if given enough notice so they can russle up more divers. Shore dives still sound great! I'll go whereever opportunity and full tanks of gas will take me!
I've done a couple of those mid-week-russel dives with Pacific Adventure and was more than satisfied overall. My wife and I once rented one of those houseboats with hot-tub and spent the night on the same dock as PA. Extremely convenient to wake up, take a nice tub with coffee and then mosey over to the boat.

Dean810:

If you can get the charter then great if not I always enjoyed my shore dives. I have a book, 141 Dives in the Protected Waters of Washington and British Columbia by Betty Pratt-Johnson. She has several really good dive sites listed for Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands and I tried most of them. Shore dives make up a majority of the dives listed. If you can't find a charter maybe there is someone in the area that can go diving with you. I loved Octopus Hole in the Hood Canal, drift diving in Agate Pass, the Wall on Fox Island, it was either Saltwater State Park or Alki Beach where a sea otter joined me for a dive, and I enjoyed diving on the remains of the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

We live near Poulsbo!

Shore dives in Kitsap county include Illahee, Harper Dock, Port Washington Narrows (Manette Bridge), Agate Pass Bridge, Hood Canal Bridge.

If you go across the Hood Canal Bridge and go to PT. Townsend you can dive at Fort Worden, Pt. Hudson, or Ediz Hook.

If you go over the Tacoma Narrows, then you have a couple more like the waterfront in Ruston/Tacoma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom