First time in liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thing to think about if your diving Raja as some of your first diving... it's some of the best in the world. If you're "used to" Raja, almost everything else is going to look less beautiful in comparison.
That's exactly what I meant. He will be so spoiled. :). Everything else is downhill afterwards.

Due to the server restore my previous message is gone so I post it again.

I was wondering how you manage your cash for tipping. According to the LoB website, tipping is between 7% to 10% of the trip cost, that mean nearly 1'000$ for the two of us. If I top that with the extra expense (Nitrox, massage...) that's a large amount of cash to carry (specially as we travel a bit before boarding). How do you manage that? Someone also reply that 10% is to much, what is your usual tipping?

Tipping 10% on a $5000 liveaboard??? ...in Indonesia??? ...Seriously??? I'm American, and I overtip like crazy, but that number is preposterous. What dive company is making that claim?

That's part of the info package I received from Blue Manta

"Many of our guests use 5-10% of the cruise price as a tipping guideline. Tipping is voluntary and most appreciated!"

The trip is 4.6k$ + fuel surcharge and N.P. fee.
How much will you tip if you are satisfied by the service? As you know in Europe we do not tip that much so I tried to understand local customs and tip appropriately.

Many liveaboards will allow you to put your tip on your credit card. Ask the boat if that’s the case. Also, I’m assuming you meant $1000 for 2.
Have a great trip!!

The 5-10% sounds about right. But it all depends on service. I am from the US, so tipping the tipper is compulsory. I always bring enough cash for the special "envelope"

The best service we received was in Galapagos. They got $500 which is about 10% from the LOB. This number was agreed by everybody in the group when the trip ended.

Blue Manta is a fabulous boat. It was our 1st livaboard and had many of your same concerns. BM is a steel boat and is much quieter and stable than wooden boats. We had an upper cabin so can’t comments about lower cabins. Upper were very spacious.

Currents ran from almost none to a washing machine, they can change during a dive sometimes several times. Some sights (magic mountain) have significant currents. Communication with dm is important, remember they don’t get tips if you don’t make it back. Don’t fight the currents, all the divers are experiencing same thing along with DM, they will watch out for you.

Dives are done off rhib’s, 4 divers and dive master and a boat driver. Loved the small group. They group people by their skill level and experience. They come pick you up wherever you come up.

Internet at best is sporadic but never missed it. Remember when we weren’t tied to our cell phones but still somehow made it thru? We booked everything ourselves but are very comfortable traveling. Indonesia did challenge us, we left Wednesday at 6a, landed Friday at 4p, it was brutal. Make sure you bank card will work, our didn’t and it caused stress.

pm if you need more info.

You will be spoiled, the diving will blow your minds.

B

Many liveaboards will allow you to put your tip on your credit card. Ask the boat if that’s the case. Also, I’m assuming you meant $1000 for 2.
Have a great trip!!
But they will likely add a surcharge for use of a card - I’m on Blue Manta in Raja right now and their policy adds 4.5% with a credit card. Honestly, it’s quite easy to just exchange for local currency at the Jakarta Airport.

However, if exchanging USD make sure you have new bills as they would not take 1 of my $100 bills as it was an older bill (without the latest Security markings like the blue band in the comparison image below - new bill on bottom):

F64D390D-DBAB-45D1-8D98-FE6DB94B61D1.jpeg

$100 Note | U.S. Currency Education Program

But they will likely add a surcharge for use of a card - I’m on Blue Manta in Raja right now and their policy adds 4.5% with a credit card. Honestly, it’s quite easy to just exchange for local currency at the Jakarta Airport.

However, if exchanging USD make sure you have new bills as they would not take 1 of my $100 bills as it was an older bill (without the latest Security markings like the blue band in the comparison image below - new bill on bottom):

View attachment 761607

$100 Note | U.S. Currency Education Program

Great tip!. Yes. make sure you bring new greenbacks.

Moreover, some countries give you lower exchange rate if you give them older notes.

Back
Top Bottom