First time in liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the total eclipse on a boat in Halmahera in 2016 and it was awesome!!
That must have been awesome! I am a bit jealous about that... I was in the Wind River Mountains for the 2017 eclipse, and after seeing it on land, I have been itching to experience it underwater. If I don't make it to Biak for this next one, April of 2024 the path of totality goes directly over Mazatlan....

Thank you for all your advices. I feel reassured about the current.
I narrow down to two liveaboard for now, the Blue Manta and Tiare. I do not see any review or comment of the Tiare in scubaboard, but they seems to have nice review and experienced in RA. Anyone tried this boat in the past?

I also wonder if there is something to do in Sorong? My plan was to arrive a day before (to avoid any travel issues or delay). And take a return fly a day after the end of the cruise (otherwise the flight is early in the morning and I will have to skip the last dives on the day before the boat return to Sorong). Unfortunately their is no convenient flight the day after, so I will need to stay two nights in Sorong.

I also wonder if you recommend to take the Nitrox option. On both boat is available but with a surcharge. How deep are the dive in general?

Yes dive Nitrox - you will be doing multiple dives a day and pushing NDL limits on air in a remote destination.

Thank you for all your advices. I feel reassured about the current.
I narrow down to two liveaboard for now, the Blue Manta and Tiare. I do not see any review or comment of the Tiare in scubaboard, but they seems to have nice review and experienced in RA. Anyone tried this boat in the past?

I also wonder if there is something to do in Sorong? My plan was to arrive a day before (to avoid any travel issues or delay). And take a return fly a day after the end of the cruise (otherwise the flight is early in the morning and I will have to skip the last dives on the day before the boat return to Sorong). Unfortunately their is no convenient flight the day after, so I will need to stay two nights in Sorong.

I also wonder if you recommend to take the Nitrox option. On both boat is available but with a surcharge. How deep are the dive in general?
Don't bother staying in Sorong, nothing to see or do.

I was kind of hoping someone would chime in with something to do in Sorong! I have never found anything interesting. I just pick a direction from the hotel and walk for a couple hours. Always some interesting people and houses but otherwise nothing. I did find a place that sold masks and other tourist stuff but I couldn’t tell you where it was.

Don't bother staying in Sorong, nothing to see or do.
Bad advice - it’s a really good idea to arrive in Sorong the day before the boat leaves and stay a night to help prevent flight delays/cancellations and/or baggage issues from ruining you trip!

Bad advice - it’s a really good idea to arrive in Sorong the day before the boat leaves and stay a night to help prevent flight delays/cancellations and/or baggage issues from ruining you trip!

The OP was planning to stay two nights. I do agree that you definitely want to be there the day before and stay one night - two is not needed.

I was kind of hoping someone would chime in with something to do in Sorong! I have never found anything interesting. I just pick a direction from the hotel and walk for a couple hours. Always some interesting people and houses but otherwise nothing. I did find a place that sold masks and other tourist stuff but I couldn’t tell you where it was.
December will be my first time in Sorong, but it does not look like much to do there - I could only find tips like this:

What to Do in Sorong | Papua Paradise

The OP was planning to stay two nights. I do agree that you definitely want to be there the day before and stay one night - two is not needed.
They may not have a choice. I’m staying 2 nights as Garuda is not flying Jakarta to Sorong every day anymore - so I had to arrive either the day of the LOB departure or 2 days in advance.

Back
Top Bottom