First time in liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@seba76

Personally, I would probably not choose an itinerary that I was uncertain of as my first LOB. I would likely practice on something I was rather sure of first. This might turn out perfectly well from what others say, I hope so.

I was kind of hoping someone would chime in with something to do in Sorong! I have never found anything interesting. I just pick a direction from the hotel and walk for a couple hours. Always some interesting people and houses but otherwise nothing.
Do you find anywhere you could go for a walk in the woods?

I spent a lot of my childhood in a rural setting, and I like 'creepy crawlies' - snakes, lizards, turtles, lots of things. It would be interesting to me to walk around in a wooded area, or a large, rural junk yard with stuff to flip over, and see what I could turn up.

All the more interesting because I don't know the native fauna there. In the U.S., show me a snake and I've got a good idea whether it's venomous. Elsewhere...it ain't necessarily so.

Richard.

I spent a lot of my childhood in a rural setting, and I like 'creepy crawlies' - snakes, lizards, turtles, lots of things. It would be interesting to me to walk around in a wooded area, or a large, rural junk yard with stuff to flip over, and see what I could turn up.

All the more interesting because I don't know the native fauna there. In the U.S., show me a snake and I've got a good idea whether it's venomous. Elsewhere...it ain't necessarily so.

Richard.

Never did in Sorong. More interested in how people live in a city. There are areas of jungle beside roads but I would not be confident to venture off road. In a strange place I need something like a road or river to find my way back and I don’t want to wander around in someone’s property so I am pretty conservative in my explorations.

Once you are at a resort they are often in very remote jungle settings and it does not take much to poke around in the jungle. However, like you I know what to avoid in my home woods (fortunately not much - don’t poke the bear) but I am completely clueless in Indonesia so turning over rocks is not on my do list :)

Never did in Sorong. More interested in how people live in a city. There are areas of jungle beside roads but I would not be confident to venture off road. In a strange place I need something like a road or river to find my way back and I don’t want to wander around in someone’s property so I am pretty conservative in my explorations.

Once you are at a resort they are often in very remote jungle settings and it does not take much to poke around in the jungle. However, like you I know what to avoid in my home woods (fortunately not much - don’t poke the bear) but I am completely clueless in Indonesia so turning over rocks is not on my do list :)

Richard.
I'm not sure poking around the woods in that part of the world is a great idea. I was at Lolata Resort in PNG about 20 years ago. There was a sea krait nesting in the dive shop, and the staff walked back and forth barefoot ignoring the snake. However, when a Taipan appeared in the resort the next day there was a full scale freak out by the staff, which I learned was completely justified. The poisonous animals in that part of the world are generally significantly worse than what you find poking around the woods of North America or Europe, and medical care is generally farther away. I would only poke around with a guide experienced in the native wildlife.

Try to

Richa

Richard.
look at Taman Wisata Alam Sorong.

Just chiming in, I dove Raja Ampat and across the Banda Sea for my dives ~40-88 and I learned a lot. Never had done a negative entry, never used a reef hook, never learned how to swim against a current (stay close to the reef.) Make sure your fins are powerful (I was using split fins back then and I didn't have as much power as I needed.) It's wonderful diving, and they'll group you with people of similar experience and not make you do things beyond your ability if they're a good boat.

Just chiming in, I dove Raja Ampat and across the Banda Sea for my dives ~40-88 and I learned a lot. Never had done a negative entry, never used a reef hook, never learned how to swim against a current (stay close to the reef.) Make sure your fins are powerful (I was using split fins back then and I didn't have as much power as I needed.) It's wonderful diving, and they'll group you with people of similar experience and not make you do things beyond your ability if they're a good boat.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you bring a reef hock or they usually provide them in the boat if the dive requires it?

I was kind of hoping someone would chime in with something to do in Sorong! I have never found anything interesting. I just pick a direction from the hotel and walk for a couple hours. Always some interesting people and houses but otherwise nothing. I did find a place that sold masks and other tourist stuff but I couldn’t tell you where it was.

Like many replies here. It's highly recommended you arrive 1 day before your liveaboard. (a must)

Sorong was cool. There isn't much to see, but visiting the market and shanty town around the market was an incredible experience. Are you staying at the Swiss-Belhotel Hotel in Sorong? If you are, the market is 20-30 minutes walk from the hotel.

Once inside, it's like a maze and there are so many things to buy.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 65
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 67
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you bring a reef hock or they usually provide them in the boat if the dive requires it?
I brought my own reef hook, because I like knowing what I'm working with. I now have a reef hook that should hopefully withstand really really strong currents (paracord + very durable hook).
The other thing to think about if your diving Raja as some of your first diving... it's some of the best in the world. If you're "used to" Raja, almost everything else is going to look less beautiful in comparison. But it's amazing diving and I'm so excited to be going back!!!

Ok, I was able to confirm my reservation today. I will be on Blue Manta for 8 nights in January 2023
I did also reserve 3 nights at Papua Paradise Eco Resort (I read some good comment in this forum) prio to boarding to the LB, that will allow me to do a few dives before from land base operation and avoid any disagreement if I have a flight delay.

Like many replies here. It's highly recommended you arrive 1 day before your liveaboard. (a must)

Sorong was cool. There isn't much to see, but visiting the market and shanty town around the market was an incredible experience. Are you staying at the Swiss-Belhotel Hotel in Sorong? If you are, the market is 20-30 minutes walk from the hotel.

Once inside, it's like a maze and there are so many things to buy.
I will probably stay the first night in the Swiss Belhotel, as the resort had no availability on my arrival day. I asked if they can put me on waiting list a room is released, but I'm also not sure that they have transfer every day. So thanks for the advice, I will check the market.

Really looking forward :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom