first stage favorites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAH

Reaction score
I notice that the reviews for regulators always pair a specific 1st stage with a specific 2nd. Do divers mix different 1st stages and 2nds stages? For example an Atomic B1 with a Scubapro mk16?

If so why don't the reviews separate out performance of 1st stages & 2nd stages?

:confused:

Most First and second stages come together for a purpose.
And that purpose is Line Pressure and performance.

Mixing different makes and models of First and Second stages together can only lead to heartache.

I was talking with the LDS and he thought the Atomic 2nd stage was the smoothest breather but not keen on the 1st stage. The suggestion of mixing brands 1st and 2nd was suggested. I think Apeks 1st stage and Atomics 2nd.

and I am sure if the rep form either company found he was switching first and second stages out he would be sued for stupidity.

Actually there's no problem mixing first and second stages, if the second stage is tuned to the intermediate pressure of the first stage. I mean, as long as the second stage receives air at the correct pressure, what does it matter what first stage is on the tank? All the second stage knows is that it's getting air at the correct pressure.

That being said, it would be highly unlikely that it would be economical to buy seperate brands of first stages and second stages - they're usually sold as matched pairs. Plus it helps when you need to get the regs serviced if they are the same brand - what if your LDS can only service one of the stages and not the other?

bendiggins

Thanks for the post. I didn't think about the service problems.

Going along Sydney's line of thought, if the regs are bundled for a reason why aren't the alternate 2nd stages bundled too?

Manufacturers often offer several different level octopus regulators, allowing the buyer to choose the quality of their backup. Apeks for example offer the Sentinal, AT20, TX40, and TX50 as backup second stages, as well as integrated octopus/inflators.

Take, for example, the Titan and Cousteau first stages. Cousteau is sold with the Micra Adjustable second, as well as the Glacia cold-water. I'm sure it would work fine with the XLC as well. Ditto for the Titan first stage, which has been sold with Glacia, XLC, and Micra second stages.

Personally, I have the Cousteau Micra ADJ, and couldn't be happier. Great voerall performer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom