First set of regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No2rdame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, since you guys steered me in the right direction for a bp/w I'm now going to pester you about regs. Yeah, I'm going to get around to pestering you about every piece of equipment, but a little at a time.

So, after killing way too many hours in front of a screen reviewing and researching my first set of regs I think I've settled on one of two streamlined OW reg packages offered by DGX, Dive-Rite or DeepSix. The Deep six set is $200 less than the Dive Rite, so is there any reason not to consider it? I know both companies have good reviews and it doesn't seem like I can go wrong with either, but just wanted to get opinions on both sets. What about service? Anything else to consider with these purchases? I would eventually love to get into servicing my own equipment, but at this stage in the game I'm too green to consider it and would rather not jack up something as critical as, say, well, air delivery.

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package
DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Streamlined OW Reg Package

The Deep 6 regs on the DGX site are not the same Deep 6 regs you'd get from Deep 6. That's not to say it's a bad regulator package, just that it's not the same one that people talk about when they say to look at Deep 6 regulators.

The Deep 6 regs most people talk about are these: Regulators

They come with a set of parts already, and they have a very generous service option for when you send them in. They also let you service them yourself if you so desire.

I suggest you read these blog posts to become more familiar with the company and their Signature regulators.
What makes Deep 6 regulators different? | Deep Thoughts
Our take on servicing | Deep Thoughts

@cerich will be able to give you more details, but in my opinion, you can't go wrong getting the Signature regs straight from Deep 6 over the regulators they do fro DGX. I understand there is a cost element involved, but I think the price difference is well worth it.

ETA: I'm not sure why their packages aren't coming up on the website, but they've recently rebuilt the website so some bugs may not be worked out yet.

Yeah, I noticed they were a little different between the Signature series and the DGX package. I wanted to compare the two by having the web pages pulled up side by side, but at least DGX does identify some of the main differences. I suspect that Deep Six may be sold out and that's why their site isn't pulling up. I emailed the company Friday to ask, waiting to hear back.

Consider where you will get service. Yes some DIY but seems today's generation cannot tell a. Screwdriver from a wrench. Many LDS will not work on it. Check before purchase if your LDS will do so.

Consider where you will get service. Yes some DIY but seems today's generation cannot tell a. Screwdriver from a wrench. Many LDS will not work on it. Check before purchase if your LDS will do so.
I kind of figure I'll be sending in my equipment, but that's one of the things I'm welcoming feedback on. I haven't seen any negative reviews about either Dive Rite or Deep Six in terms of getting quick turnaround on service.

The Deep 6 signature regs are indeed backordered at the moment. I just (Friday) got a set, but some of the components will come later.

I obviously think they’re the regs for me but for a first set I might think through some issues.

The company and the people have an outstanding reputation in the community but the fact remains that it is a small company. Hypothetically they could go belly-up at any time. I have faith that customers wouldn’t be left hanging but it’s just that, faith.

Their model is likely to be perceived by “traditional” channels as hostile. So your usual resources aren’t as likely to be helpful.

That said I think you’d be pretty happy with them if you do pull the trigger. (The DGX ones too - they weren’t for me but do look like a good value.)

I wouldn’t overthink it though - get a quality reg (new or been taken care of) and just go dive. You’ll figure out what you need for your own style.

My first set was, in retrospect, not ideal but it got me out and diving which is what mattered.

If you don't mind me throwing something else out there. Extreme Exposure has some good deals on Halcyon regulators (I think DRIS will price match if you want to avoid the sales tax). The Halo is the same regulator as the G-250V and the and the H75P is the same as a MK-25. When I say the same, I mean that Scubapro makes it for them. The advantage to this is that parts should not be a problem and the regulators should be able to be serviced at any Scubapro dealer. The only reason I mention it is because Halcyon has the reputation for being pricey. This is the exception.

Definitely learn to service your own regs. If you can make a ham and cheese sandwich,,.. learning to service and adjust your own regs isnt much harder.

I would eventually love to get into servicing my own equipment, but at this stage in the game I'm too green to consider it and would rather not jack up something as critical as, say, well, air delivery.
@The Chairman does regulator service classes, at least for HOG, but I imagine also now for DeepSix: Regulator Service and Tank Inspection Classes

He is now relatively close to you (at least from my perspective since the nearest trainer I know is 6-hours from me.) You might want to reach out to him before buying and see which ones he could train you on if you are considering that path

I’m pretty much all Atomic for first stages with Atomic or G250 seconds, I’ve had 3 odd failures with Deep6 first stages with the HP seat sticking shut, my buddy had his do the same thing just before a recent trip so he now owns my MK 17/G250.

Atomic has been bullet proof for me, like Scuba Pro but I seal my firsts so it all Atomic here, just dove an eBay B2 yesterday, bought it for the swivel turret and spare parts but hooked it up on arrival, solid IP of 145 and held it for 18 hours with no creep, my Z2 still needs a swivel turret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom