First regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mk17 with g260 over 1k??
I payed 460.and got my octupus for free because of an event.
With octupus it would be arround 550-700 maximum

Is the HOG D3 with DIN + yoke screw on converter abnormally big? Would hitting my head be an issue? Looks like the screw on converter is actually shorter than some??

Just using rental tanks visiting California, Maui, Thailand, Philippines and Colombia every year is it even worth bothering with a DIN reg at all?

Thanks, sorry for all the newbee questions. I only have one LDS and the best route to go is always their in house brand. Difficult to even get a quote on other brands that they order out.

Is the HOG D3 with DIN + yoke screw on converter abnormally big? Would hitting my head be an issue? Looks like the screw on converter is actually shorter than some??

Just using rental tanks visiting California, Maui, Thailand, Philippines and Colombia every year is it even worth bothering with a DIN reg at all?

Thanks, sorry for all the newbee questions. I only have one LDS and the best route to go is always their in house brand. Difficult to even get a quote on other brands that they order out.
DIN tanks are very common around here - There are a lot of older 3500psi high pressure steels that are essentially 300bar DIN - only. I have 12, buddy has 6 so far - they seem to multiply. So sorry, I look at the DIN versions by default.

If it is yoke only or yoke/DIN convertible tanks where you dive, then that may be the better choice for you. Nothing wrong with it at all and you don't have the additional weight and back-of-the-head issue added by the converter.

An interesting thread. Thanks for running it.

My 4 years on Scuba Board has taught me that the answer is Apex X, Aqualung X, Atomic X, Deep 6, Dive Gear Express X, Dive Right in Scuba, Dive Rite X, Hog X, Poseidon X, Scuba Pro X, etc. I use a Deep 6 Signature setup and love it. People I dive with here in New England use any of the afore mentioned and love them. As long as it is rated for cold water you probably won’t notice the difference. Which, for that reason, @runsongas recommendation of the Deep 6 Scribble would be a good choice, or Dive Right in Scuba’s house brand would be my other choice. The real question that is going to come up soon is...traditional rec octo setup or primary on a long hose? I’m not really asking, I just wanted to be the first to post it this time.

Erik

^^^ 12 years on scubaboard. This sums it up.

Any cold water reg will work as long as your not talking about antarctica.

Think about are you going to service them yourselve? If not are you willing to mail them for service?

Make your decision based on above and features you want

I'm not an expert, I think the first stage is very similar to some apeks models. They are designed by deep6 and made in the same factories as several other brands (as far as I know - if you search on scubaboard you can find more info on them)

Their website is deep6gear.com

For service, they include the service kit and the service manual is available online. In theory any dive shop could work on them. In practice some dive shops might only want to work on certain brands. They can be serviced in their Georgia location if you ship them in. They recommend a two year / 200 dive service interval.

Why do you say that the Deep 6 regulator design is similar to Apex? That would require a fair bit of knowledge in regulators to claim.

Deep 6, I can see no reason to get Deep6 when HOG is supported by a semi close to me shop where I can see what I am getting. And Deep6 doesn't really support dive sh, employ Western workers, etc. I just don't want to support this type of company. Maybe I'm wrong, never heard of them before mentioned on here so I don't know a lot about them. But at least with HOG I can still support a semi local LDS and I think HOG is cheaper also.

How does Deep not support an LDS? They will provide equipment, parts, training for service. HOG is cheaper than Deep 6. Also different design and materials.

Deep 6, like everyone else, outsources the manufacturing (Taiwan). The company is based in Georgia of about 4 guys and a high school part timer. Just lean and mean, which translates to savings passed on to the consumer.

Well I'm more confused than when I started. This is where I'm at now. In no particular order.

Apex 50/40 full set W SPG runs about $1008, I don't think I need to go into quality or reputation.

ScubaPro MK17/G260 is the most expensive at about $1068 but probably the best world wide dealer network (I'm abroad 6 months a year)

Sherwood Blizzard $678. Known for being a reliable workhorse, made in the USA and available at my LDS. But no adjustment other than venturi. And I'm not sure as good of international service network as something like ScubaPro.

HOG $573 Looks to be decent quality. I think comes standard with flexi hoses. I can see/buy in person not too far away and I like the idea of the self service class (though with one set it would probably never make financial sense for the class and the tools). I would have to swallow some pride to buy from one of these companies that skips the R&D, produces in the cheapest country and really kinda leaches off the industry as a whole to buy these.

Deep6, I can see no reason to get Deep6 when HOG is supported by a semi close to me shop where I can see what I am getting. And Deep6 doesn't really support dive shops, employ Western workers, etc. I just don't want to support this type of company. Maybe I'm wrong, never heard of them before mentioned on here so I don't know a lot about them. But at least with HOG I can still support a semi local LDS and I think HOG is cheaper also.

So the Sherwood Blizzard that is a dependable, workhorse of a reg is not what they are selling today. Sherwood has totally redesigned this reg so it does not have the history of reliability that the name suggests. Why do you have to swallow any pride when purchasing HOG Regis? Scuba reg designs have not changed much in decades, the only real R&D that is being done these days is in marketing. HOG uses a tried and true design and uses a different business approach to pass the savings off to the consumer. It just depends if you want to save money and support a small company or spend more money on corporate bloat. Advertising, sales reps, parent company, stockholders this all has to be added to the cost of a product.

What are your thoughts on Sherwood? Looks like Blizzard + octo runs about $550 + spg (probably under $700 all in). On the other hand if spending 700 it's not really a big deal to spend a bit more and get the Mk17/g260 or Apeks 50/40, etc.

Your thoughts?
I would buy Apeks and likely ScubaPro before I bought Sherwood if the money was close. Sherwood are good but I prefer the build of Apeks and ScubaPro overall plus other brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom