First regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are your thoughts on Sherwood? Looks like Blizzard + octo runs about $550 + spg (probably under $700 all in). On the other hand if spending 700 it's not really a big deal to spend a bit more and get the Mk17/g260 or Apeks 50/40, etc.

Your thoughts?
Clunky and reliable. MK 17/g260 svelte and reliable.

sherwood is a reliable option in most cases, but it is not as popular which can be an issue for accessing servicing if you don't want to mail them off and the resale is mediocre.

That's one of my concerns. Though Sherwood is my LDS "in house" brand I spend 6 months a year abroad and am not sure about availability.

HOGs from DRIS or Piranha with the current sales (still need to add octo-hose/long-hose and gauge setup of choice)
- D1x 1st stage (equivalent to the Apeks DST w/5th port) + 2 "Classic" 2nd stages will run you around $300
- D3 1st stage with longer, full-swiveling turret + 2 "Zenith" 2nds about $380
I have and have been happy with all elements of the above HOGs.

I think Deep6 signatures (same basic form-factor as the HOG D3s) with better plating, prettier, reportedly slightly better performance, can offer better TCO by including a free service (if you ship them back) and a the service kit when considered at regular pricing. Waiting on the Deep6 holiday sale ...

sherwood is a reliable option in most cases, but it is not as popular which can be an issue for accessing servicing if you don't want to mail them off and the resale is mediocre.

I do t worry about resale, as I still dive the ones I have bought, 1980 Magnum set, 2009 Blizzard set, and a 2010 Blizzard 1st only. Now I must admit that I like old chrome seconds and I'm more apt to dive the Sherwood firsts with an odd shiny vintage second than origional equipment. With the exception of the 1980 set which I use on my pony configured as it was purchased.

If I wasn't so old, I'd say I would buy another when these wear out, but I doubt they would wear out before I do.

HOGs from DRIS or Piranha with the current sales (still need to add octo-hose/long-hose and gauge setup of choice)
- D1x 1st stage (equivalent to the Apeks DST w/5th port) + 2 "Classic" 2nd stages will run you around $300
- D3 1st stage with longer, full-swiveling turret + 2 "Zenith" 2nds about $380
I have and have been happy with all elements of the above HOGs.

I think Deep6 signatures (same basic form-factor as the HOG D3s) with better plating, prettier, reportedly slightly better performance, can offer better TCO by including a free service (if you ship them back) and a the service kit when considered at regular pricing. Waiting on the Deep6 holiday sale ...

HOG looks like great value. Are they made in China or Taiwan? If mainland China I'll pass, if Taiwan I'll look into them. Motorcycles/scooters, watches, etc, I won't buy a long term purchase product made in mainland China.

Thanks

There is just one main rule for regulators choice:
Choose the regulator according of the nearest LDS (service center) in you region.
Find the LDS near you, ask them, what kind of regulators they servicing, and than take any of mentioned above, and servicable in this LDS. :)
All modern regulators is good enough.
My favorite - WMD first stage, and antique old soviet second stages. :)
My second choice is Scubapro MK-5(or 10) and BA-109 as second stage.

Deep 6 signature are phenomenal regs. I dove with them in my drysuit class and they were great.. though I'm not a regulator connoisseur you can't go wrong with deep 6 signature.

Environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm with a pivotting turret? It was very easy to route hoses on it. I don't have to worry about all the silty crap in the lake I dive in working it's way into it...

Others claim they perform as well or better than some of the much more expensive regulators out there.

The only negative thing is that a lot of the old time divers around my area haven't heard of them so gave me a funny look at first. If it weren't covid times I would have let them try out the octo (they are both signature second stages)

But anyway... If you had budgeted more than what a normal reg set costs from deep 6, put the rest in your pocket (or into some of their other gear...)

Their website is a little confusing if you don't know exactly what kind of hose lengths you might want - (if you are a new diver) I were them I'd put up a link to somehow populate it with a decent "standard" setup with a black and orange second stage with "standard" hose lengths preconfigured so a new diver can just click a button (or send a link to their significant other)... But they have great customer service so if you just called them or emailed them they'd help you put something together

+1 Deep 6 signature. These were our first regs and very happy with them. I don't have anywhere near the experience of most on this board, but I don't think you can go wrong with these or their service model, which is very important!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom