First rebreather Dive uncomfortable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AP Inspiration; OTS counterlungs.

An OTS unit should be be the least susceptible to changes in your swim position/orientation and thus easiest to breathe, generally speaking. But if the counter lungs aren’t tight to your body and spread out evenly over the surface area of your upper chest, as opposed to bunched up, or constricted because say, they are too far over and being constricted by your arms, they won’t breathe they as easy as they are supposed to....

My first Inspiration dive was crappy. The corrugated hoses were too long and kinked causing a restriction. After readjusting the harness and shortening the hoses it was much better. OTS counter lungs are good in most positions.

As a general rule any front mounted counterlung system will breathe better in a variety of positions than any back mounted counterlung system. I'm sure lots of folks will argue this point but I have dived quite a number of different rebreathers and this has been my experience.
This is also based on basic physics.

As a general rule any front mounted counterlung system will breathe better in a variety of positions than any back mounted counterlung system. I'm sure lots of folks will argue this point but I have dived quite a number of different rebreathers and this has been my experience.
This is also based on basic physics.

You are absolutely correct. I am certified on many different rebreathers, and you are spot on.

W
Hello all,

Pleasure to be on scubaboard.

So I recently decided to switch from diving OC tec to CCR. I had a “try rebreather” experience but was underwhelmed afterwards honestly. My buoyancy was relatively fine for a first RB dive, but what I found uncomfortable is how hard it is to draw a breath compared to an open circuit regulator. I obviously was trying to maintain the minimum loop volume as much as possible but whenever it actually got comfortable to breathe I would start floating up even though my wing was fully deflated. I had a bailout drill where I got to compare breathing on OC vs CCR directly and drawing breath from OC was infinitely easier.

two questions:

(a) Is that normal? Is an OC regulator easier to breathe?

(b) is ease of breathing related to the “work of breathing” concept I keep reading about in RB forums? If so, I note that different types of CCRs have different WOB rates. Any recommendations for a RB that breathes easy when staying in good trim?

Newbie questions I know, but please help me get the excitement back towards my CCR journey :)

Cheers
Welcome to the silent world buddy,
Sure WOB is much easier
Wob depends on Position of CL:
Bmcl: easier to exhale
FMCL: easier to inhale
Canister mounted ( SF style) only wasy when ur trim is perfectly horizontal
You will find the FMCL the easiest of all as a start

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom