First rebreather Dive uncomfortable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For weighting, what is the closest OC analog to a rebreather (I know different units differ in buoyancy, but generally speaking?) I know my weights with AL and steel 80s and AL 100s.

There is none. It is a whole different animal.

AP inspiration. For weighting, what is the closest OC analog to a rebreather (I know different units differ in buoyancy, but generally speaking?) I know my weights with AL and steel 80s and AL 100s.
None there is no OC weighting that is comparable. You need to have a weight check in the unit you're diving

There's a variable amount of gas in the loop hose, canister, water traps, etc. All of that takes lead to sink. Then there's the dynamic CL volume.

AP inspiration. For weighting, what is the closest OC analog to a rebreather (I know different units differ in buoyancy, but generally speaking?) I know my weights with AL and steel 80s and AL 100s.

From my experience, I found the JJ and my OC twin 12L Faber setup to be very similar buoyancy wise. With both setups I have a steel BP and add no other weight to be comfortable. For single tank diving, i find that my JJ setup is around 6-7KG less bouyant compared to a Steel 12L cylinder (similar to a steel 80 i guess). In other words, going to CC (with steel BP) from a single cylinder, I could shave 7KG of the belt.

However, i think APs are more buoyant compared to JJ's, so you might not be able to remove that much weight.

Did he say what rebreather and lungs he was using. That would be very telling.

Most rebreathers I dive are as easy to breathe as I am breathing right now as I sit on the toilet typing this. There are a few crappy ccrs out there and if you set any rebreather up wrong, it'll be hard to breathe. Most side mount rebreathers suck to breathe while you're vertical.

Did he say what rebreather and lungs he was using. That would be very telling.

Most rebreathers I dive are as easy to breathe as I am breathing right now as I sit on the toilet typing this. There are a few crappy ccrs out there and if you set any rebreather up wrong, it'll be hard to breathe. Most side mount rebreathers suck to breathe while you're vertical.

AP Inspiration; OTS counterlungs.

Then it wasn't set up right.

I use exactly the same amount of lead for my Prism2 CCR and DIR OC setup with steel HP100. But every rebreather is different.

Hello all,

Pleasure to be on scubaboard.

So I recently decided to switch from diving OC tec to CCR. I had a “try rebreather” experience but was underwhelmed afterwards honestly. My buoyancy was relatively fine for a first RB dive, but what I found uncomfortable is how hard it is to draw a breath compared to an open circuit regulator. I obviously was trying to maintain the minimum loop volume as much as possible but whenever it actually got comfortable to breathe I would start floating up even though my wing was fully deflated. I had a bailout drill where I got to compare breathing on OC vs CCR directly and drawing breath from OC was infinitely easier.

two questions:

(a) Is that normal? Is an OC regulator easier to breathe?

(b) is ease of breathing related to the “work of breathing” concept I keep reading about in RB forums? If so, I note that different types of CCRs have different WOB rates. Any recommendations for a RB that breathes easy when staying in good trim?

Newbie questions I know, but please help me get the excitement back towards my CCR journey :)

Cheers
My first experience I felt the same as you, when you get dialed in it is much more natural than open circuit. At least that's my experience and then when you switch back to open circuit the noise is overwhelming LOL!

At least that's my experience and then when you switch back to open circuit the noise is overwhelming LOL!
Even when I dive deep (~200') with my OC buddies is much louder underwater comparing diving in CCR only group :poke:

...and then when you switch back to open circuit the noise is overwhelming LOL!
That's my experience after diving a DH reg for a while and then switching back to a single hose regulator :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom