first rebreather: AP inspiration EVP to buy or not to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seefa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi my highest qualification is (soon to be) trimix extended range diver (45m, 1 deco gas)

I am considering the AP inspiration EVP as my first rebreather and would appreciate insight from all of you as to why I should or should not get this particular unit.

Why I want a rebreather
Firstly the technology of it is very interesting to me as are the benefits (silent diving, diving the best mix, doing more dives on trimix). Secondly, I am very interested in wrecks and would like to work my way up to being able to do bigger dives and visit and fully enjoy bucketlist wreck destinations (Scapa Flow, Truk, Bikini).

What kind of diving I currently do and where
I currently dive in Oman on a weekly basis. all the dives are relatively shallow boat dives making them ideal for learning how to use a tool in a relatively safe environment. It also helps that the center I dive with is transitioning to being a tec friendly center and offers all gas mixes.

Why the inspiration
Money and access to service and parts are all challenges I face. From what I understand the inspiration is a relatively simple, reliable machine that can be had for not much money second hand.
I understand that parts are more widely available for the inspo due to the sheer number of units in existence. I would rather buy something I can afford now and start racking up hours and experience on a unit than wait. I don't expect this unit to be my last and only rebreather. I do hope to do dives in the 60m range in the next year or two with the unit.

My questions are:
1.why should or should I not buy this rebreather?
2. what features are important, which are nice to have and which are not worthwhile?
3. what should I look for when buying used?

PS. I am a relatively short and slim guy so the smaller size of the EVO/EVP is a big plus for me

Parts and service availability, and what other divers in your area are using should be prime considerations. I would never suggest an AP unit to someone in the US, there are just better supported options here. In Oman, I have no idea. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of the AP units, so if you can get one at an affordable price, and if you are already planning on getting something else some time later, and they are supported, sounds like a decent choice.

I think there are at least 3 different electronics packages, classic (are these even still around?), Vision and Vision 2020 (I think that is right, I moved on from AP prior to that version). I wouldn't bother with a classic, it'll not be worth the upgrade costs.

Without knowing what you like and dislike about CCRs, it's very difficult to say what is important or not. For me, my minimum requirements are Shearwater controlled, eccr, BOV, available to be self serviced, and keep it as simple as possible with those requirements. I guarantee there will be someone else that comments that their requirements are MCCR with a DSV. That's cool. I mean they are wrong, but we all have our preferences :)

What are others in your area diving?

Thank you for your candid response!

rebreather diving is in its infancy in Oman so unfortunately what others are diving is not a consideration since there are almost no rebreather divers around. I know there are at least two AP instructors between Oman and UAE so that's a start.

I am eyeing the vision 2020 as the old vision controller is hideous but ultimately the market offerings and my budget will dictate what I get. if both are serviceable.

I initially wanted a more travel friendly CCR such as CM or SM units but was advised against especially as a first rebreather. Self service is important to me as I am technically inclined and already self service the rest of my equipment. As for ECCR vs MCCR, I have no horse in this race, I think I will be happy with either.

Honestly the cost is the biggest factor for me at the moment as it is the deciding factor on weather or not I get a rebreather in the first place.

Parts and service availability, and what other divers in your area are using should be prime considerations. I would never suggest an AP unit to someone in the US, there are just better supported options here. In Oman, I have no idea. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of the AP units, so if you can get one at an affordable price, and if you are already planning on getting something else some time later, and they are supported, sounds like a decent choice.

I think there are at least 3 different electronics packages, classic (are these even still around?), Vision and Vision 2020 (I think that is right, I moved on from AP prior to that version). I wouldn't bother with a classic, it'll not be worth the upgrade costs.

Without knowing what you like and dislike about CCRs, it's very difficult to say what is important or not. For me, my minimum requirements are Shearwater controlled, eccr, BOV, available to be self serviced, and keep it as simple as possible with those requirements. I guarantee there will be someone else that comments that their requirements are MCCR with a DSV. That's cool. I mean they are wrong, but we all have our preferences :)

What are others in your area diving?

I have been diving APD rebreathers since 2002 and have been an Advanced Mixed Gas CCR instructor since 2004. I have found the support quite good here in the US and abroad. I have used all three electronic versions and am very pleased with not only their continued forward progress but also the reverse compatibility and upgrade options offered to owners of prior generation units. I understand that the OP isn’t in the US but commented based on sea_ledford’s reply regarding US parts and support.

Another consideration is who and where are you getting your training?

Ok, many good things I've been said so I'll just add this :

If I were in your shoes, I'd try several machines 1st. I've got absolutely nothing against AP rigs, many buddies of mine dive one and are perfectly satisfied with it. But does it mean it's the right machine for you, I'm not so sure... An example will probably be clearer than a long talk :

a buddy of mine was no longer satisfied with is Inspiration, which he had dived extensively, he was hypo trimix certified on that rig. He found it too heavy, too cumbersome, so he sold it and got certified on a Triton, a rig utterly different from his previous one : MCCR, chest mount, but indeed lighter and more travel friendly... But about 18 months later, he sold it and got certified on a Revo HCCR as he couldn't stand any longer the MCCR aspect of the Triton, nor the SM harness he had choosen to dive with.

My feeling is, it was a waste of time and money, because of too rash a decision.

I got certified on the Triton only 6 months later than my buddy, but I'm perfectly happy with it, and don't intend to change.

there was a lengthy thread a few months back similar to this one.

Here was my response.

Rebreathers are EXPENSIVE, training is EXPENSIVE, and you will be putting your life in your own hands as if you are standing on train tracks.

As others have noted you will find plenty of used units for sale all the time, the more you look, the more you will find. and if you get in the habit they will spread like flies (partly how I ended up with 9...)

---

If you are NEW to rebreathers, you should FIRST ask WHY you want a rebreather, THEN look in your direct vicinity and see WHO is diving WHAT, and who is offering TRAINING.

Its all too common to see keyboard warriors going online to find the "best CCR ever!" getting caught up in spec sheets, capabilities, redundancies etc. Doing this often leaves behind the WHY you are getting into CCR to begin with, if you truly do not have a specific reason for going CCR that isn't "I wanna be like the cool kids" then DONT buy a rebreather. end conversation

So you have a real reason for a CCR, now look at who around you is diving CCR and find out what rigs they are diving, who did their training, and their genuine feelings about their course and if they felt it or their instructor was lacking.

If most people come back with more or less the same answer for those questions it should be a pretty clear fit, the people around you doing similar styles of dives to you, utilizing the same rig or style of rig, and they haven't voted out the instructor. It may be the best option to follow their path. This will provide you with hopefully more than one character to lean on and learn from, help with service and parts, and an instructor that will make you enjoy the rig.

---

You've settled on a rig, an instructor, and timeline of events to get yourself diving silent. Now and only now can you start perusing the forums looking for that rig and asking your instructor if they feel the rig is in appropriate condition. At the end of the day you will find many of these rigs found online may have been modified from their stock configs, ask for the stock parts if they still have them as most GOOD instructors will not train you on a non-stock rig for liability purposes.

At the end of the day we all have to eat. Your instructor will more than likely charge you more to train you on a used rig than a new one as they will have to take extra care servicing the rig prior to use but YRMV.

---

Don't be that guy that buys a random rig off the internet and kills themself trying to DIY learning CCR.

If you want to read that whole thread it has some interesting bits in it.
Here. I'm seeing a lot of second hand rebeathers sale recently, something going I'm not aware of, as I'm tempted to get one.

FWIW, I just ordered a new EVP.
I changed my order to an XPD. I’m 6’2” and have had several full sized units and thought I might like a change but in the end decided to stay with the XPD. I had a couple of Evolutions when they were new but they were too short to get in and out of on a boat.

I changed my order to an XPD. I’m 6’2” and have had several full sized units and thought I might like a change but in the end decided to stay with the XPD. I had a couple of Evolutions when they were new but they were too short to get in and out of on a boat.
Congratulations on your new unit! I hope it brings you many hours of joy.

Thank you all for your insights. I really appreciate them.
I look forward to finding the rebreather for me soon and joining your ranks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom