First ocean dive a disaster!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should not have happened, but I'm not surprised. A good operation would insist on taking you both on newbie dives at first even if you claimed to be experienced - to evaluate your skills, but you were were in the Carib. I wish they'd put up more signs at those airports: "Welcome to the Caribbean, no rules really apply here. :D

I'm glad you survived unhurt and did stick with diving in spite of the goofball. I was taken on a 100 ft dive on my Resort course in the Carib - but then I didn't know better. You were certified, and even tho it can be difficult to do so - leave the DM and make your hubby ascend with you immediately as soon as you want to.

Oh you can report it to Padi, but it won't matter. The only real recourse is not tipping the goofball DM.

And welcome to SB! :cheering: Drop in on Introductions to post one so we can welcome you appropriately.

I don't think you're over-reacting. I have never been to 130 feet in over 100 dives. I regularly dive to 90 feet, sometimes 100, but that's about it. Once to 110 feet. And I really notice how much more difficult it is to breathe at that depth, and how fast I go through my air - even with my top-notch regulator, not a cheap rental.

During my advanced open water course, we went to 100 feet to fulfull the requirements of a "deep dive." We pre-planned the dive, and went through some little exercises when we got down there to see how the increased pressure affects things. We were warned to watch for nitrogen narcosis. We debriefed aftwerwards. It was a big deal. And that was only 100 feet. Seems like your "adventure" to 130 feet was totally irresponsible. It should not have happened. Period.

Just curious, how does one become certified without doing any dives as part of the course??

blondzilla:
Hi! This is my first post on the forum, and I'm an extreme newbie to scuba so this may be a stupid question, but here goes:

I was recently certified to scuba and took a trip to Jamaica where I had my first ocean dive.QUOTE]

Easier?

:05:

I recall my first 100' dive but it was an entirely different scenario, I was briefed ahead of time, fully aware of how deep we were going and where, comfortable/confident in my buddy and thourghly enjoyed it. For you I think take two steps back as you did with your 40' dive and ease your way down staying within your personal comfort zone. I would add that reading up on the physiology changes with depth is very important. Good Luck.

You have every right to be angry. You should not have been taken past 60' and neither should your husband. You can report them to PADI, but it probably won't matter. Just don't let this experience tarnish diving for you. There will always be idiots in every profession and you had the misfortune of encountering one on your first dive.

I could be wrong but legally, I think, unless he was actively recommending you violate your limits, or trying to physically pull you down this divemaster was probably in the clear. Just for the sake of argument he could have been caught by a downcurrent in which case you would still have had the choice of following or not.

Whether he was ultimately being responsible in an ethical sense is another matter.

It didn't really dawn on me until my 25th dive or so that the divemaster wasn't formally there to complement any lack of skill, experience, understanding or preparation on my part (not talking about you here). That the diving, the equipment, sticking to the plan, and the procedures were utterly my own responsibility. It was kind of a cold feeling realizing that but sobering too.

I probably didn't do an unguided dive with just me and a buddy until my 40th dive and I remember a sudden strange feeling of loneliness or abandonement. Just reality knocking on my door.

These days I mostly feel that for many people o.w. does not provide proper preparation for unguided diving, at least more challenging dives, so whenever I'm guiding I try to be acutely aware of who I'm with and how they're doing. I try not to assume anything and be ready for the worst, and constantly plan ahead. But much of what I do I'm not really legally required to - and either way that's important for any 'guidee' anywhere to realize. You're certified. No longer a student. Expected to be in control. Some guides won't be thinking about you all the time.

If I was an instructor I think I would at least try to give my students some idea of what kind of diving they were individually ready for - or maybe even outline a general plan for the next 10-20 dives.

farrakhan:
Just curious, how does one become certified without doing any dives as part of the course??

I should clarify. This was my first Ocean dive. I got my open water certification in Homestead Crater in Utah. It is a small freshwater crater at an awesome 98 degrees.

When planning the dive, the DM told us to alert him or the other DM when we were low on air, and we would all ascend. I take that to mean that this was a group dive. Maybe I was wrong, and I'll never assume anything again! Lesson learned.

blondzilla:
When planning the dive, the DM told us to alert him or the other DM when we were low on air, and we would all ascend. I take that to mean that this was a group dive. Maybe I was wrong, and I'll never assume anything again! Lesson learned.
And stick to it. :cheering:

Back
Top Bottom