First light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up until last week I would have recommended Mares Eos as a first light but after 100 or so dives and 25 months, the switch broke, easily replaceble but annoying. My cheap amazon Chinese light, has done the same number of dives at 15% of the cost and is still going strong

If I can get myself to wake up early enough, right at the crack of dawn, strap on my gear and make it down to the beach and jump in the water, oftentimes I can get in a really nice dive, unique and very different from most, because of the unusual lighting from the rising sun.

Wait isn't that what this thread is about?

I only read the title

where do you guys order reputable, name-brand, 18650s in small quantities from these days?
Check the link in my earlier post: liionwholesale.com

The Dive Gear Express (DGX) Gear 600 is a great small light. Runs on 18650 battery. They have a twist version and a push button version with battery indicator ring around the push button. Inexpensive and it's been reliable for me.

DGX Gears 600 BUTTON Handheld Light
DGX Gears 600 TWIST Handheld Light

I also have the OrcaTorch D550 light which I like as well. It's push button on the bottom, so limited risk of accidentally turning it on. It's also held up well.

The DGX700 is basically the same light, but comes with a 21700 battery, which gives it about 50% more run time. And, you have the option of using a sleeve and running an 18650 in it, if you really want to.

I have 2 DGX600s and 2 DGX700s. I would only buy the 700 now. Like I said, you CAN use an 18650 in it, if you want.

Absolutely this.

But where do you guys order reputable, name-brand, 18650s in small quantities from these days?

This is where I got all the 18650s for my Genesis scooter a couple of months ago - as recommended by Logic (the manufactorer of the Genesis).

I got 147 of the Sanyo NCG18650GA batteries. I tested the voltage on every one of them before installing 144 of them in the scooter.

3 of them tested at 3.51V out of the box. All 144 other ones tested at 3.50V. I was blown away at the consistency.

I’m looking to buy my first light, I’ve rented a couple to my lds. I’ve been disappointed with the kraken not bright enough. I mostly do wreck dives in the river(st Lawrence) and wreck diving. Also travel 1-2x a year.

Which one do you recommend?!

I’m in North America
Which Kraken light wasn't bright enough?
I have 2 Kraken NR-2000 lights that I'm really happy with.

If you're looking for a cheap, small, good quality light powered by a rechargable 18650 check out DiveRite BX2. It is a no-brainer, especially when you get it with a soft goodman from DiveRite. DiveRite's QRM system differentiates this light from the rest.

If you don't care about the glove/QRM, stick with the Mako 1000 Lumen Dive Light referenced earlier in the thread.

Most of the cheap light packages are the same. Get what you like, throw away the cheap charger, and get new batteries with non-China cores.

I just picked up the DGX 700 and used it this last weekend in Lanai, amazingly bright and sturdy for how small and cheap it is. So far would highly recommend.

DGX700 or OrcaTorch D710 would be my recommendations both are bright and will serve you well. The OrcaTorch D550 or rebranded D550 from Mako are not as bright but good backup lights.

I'll add one more. DRIS 1000 has been a very good light to me for many years. A bit bigger, will run on Lithium or off the shelf C-cell batteries. Never failed me. From Bahamas to Truk, all the way to 200'. it wears its scars very well. Even after outgrowing it, it is my go to light for around the house and in the truck.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a hand mount so I can go hands free with with the DGX 700? anyone have experience with their brand one?

Back
Top Bottom