Question looking for a compact 800+ lumen dive light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the hog dl20 for my backup cave lights. 1000 lumens, multiple brightness modes, emergency signaling, led and rechargeable. affordable and mine have survived years of my “abuse”.
The new dl35 is barely bigger and runs at 1600 lumens but I haven’t had my hands on it yet.

The DGX700 only has one brightness.

The D710 requires you to hold the power button down to activate Turbo mode. I don't see most people swimming around that way, so showing what it looks like in its "normal" brightest mode is what I was going for. Also, I was holding my GoPro in one hand and the lights in the other...

Also, the D710 only gets very minimally brighter in Turbo mode. To my eye, it still doesn't really look any brighter than the DGX700.

I have posted pictures in another thread recently, taken in my living room using a real camera in full Manual mode so all Exposure settings are the same, comparing the DGX700 vs D710 on High and the D710 on Turbo vs Big Blue VTL9000P-Max. I think the pics I posted make it easy enough to see that the D710 gets only slightly brighter on Turbo.
The turbo doesn’t do much for sure, it does seem the increase battery drain but I never use any light on the highest setting, usually jump straight to medium, I guess if I suddenly need more light the nice thing about the 710 is holding down the button will give me that momentary burst.

The DGX700 only has one brightness.

The D710 requires you to hold the power button down to activate Turbo mode. I don't see most people swimming around that way, so showing what it looks like in its "normal" brightest mode is what I was going for. Also, I was holding my GoPro in one hand and the lights in the other...

Also, the D710 only gets very minimally brighter in Turbo mode. To my eye, it still doesn't really look any brighter than the DGX700.

I have posted pictures in another thread recently, taken in my living room using a real camera in full Manual mode so all Exposure settings are the same, comparing the DGX700 vs D710 on High and the D710 on Turbo vs Big Blue VTL9000P-Max. I think the pics I posted make it easy enough to see that the D710 gets only slightly brighter on Turbo.
Thanks, that makes sense.

we use Orca D350, and they work great

Please take a look at these two Orca Torch Lights which we carry. If you prefer the simplicity of having no switch, then the D-700 would be a great choice: OrcaTorch D700 Dive Light

If you prefer a switch: 1000 Lumen Dive Light
I have the 1000 lumen light mentioned here. A great light at a great price that fits my hand nicely. I have a bolt snap tied to the butt end and have it clipped to the right shoulder d-ring. The business end is held in place with a bungee. Most times I can leave it clipped on and unfasten the bungee and see everything I need to.

I have the 1000 lumen light mentioned here. A great light at a great price that fits my hand nicely. I have a bolt snap tied to the butt end and have it clipped to the right shoulder d-ring. The business end is held in place with a bungee. Most times I can leave it clipped on and unfasten the bungee and see everything I need to.
That's no good. How are you gonna lose it if you keep it clipped off? I won't be able to sell you another! :D

Thanks for your support!
dano

I LOVE my OrcaTorch D550. Tight narrow beam. Battery lasts a long time.
Next favorite with a wider beam is the Odepro ND51. Takes a larger battery. Between the two, I can switch between if needed depending on the situation

That's no good. How are you gonna lose it if you keep it clipped off? I won't be able to sell you another! :D

Thanks for your support!
dano
Truth, Dano. What’s the hand signal for “Anybody seen my car keys?” I might put bolt snaps on my wallet and TV remote too.

thank you guys for the suggestions, i wish i could own all of them, i decided to go with the Orcatorch D710 as it's on the brighter side, it's compact enough, and i could use it as a main torch as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom