First light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking to buy my first light, I’ve rented a couple to my lds. I’ve been disappointed with the kraken not bright enough. I mostly do wreck dives in the river(st Lawrence) and wreck diving. Also travel 1-2x a year.

Which one do you recommend?!

I’m in North America

Nanight Sport 2 or Dive Rite LX20+. Excellent quality, reasonably priced lights NOT made in china.

Also get a small, 1000 lumen, single-18650 type backup light.

I wish light monkey or underwater light dude made non-canister primary lights but they don't (yet).

Nanight Sport 2 or Dive Rite LX20+. Excellent quality, reasonably priced lights NOT made in china.

Also get a small, 1000 lumen, single-18650 type backup light.

I wish light monkey or underwater light dude made non-canister primary lights but they don't (yet).
Which one do you recommend for the small one?

Honestly for those little lights they're almost all the same. Decide if you want twist or button style. In theory twist is more reliable, but the button versions can have more brightness modes. Some have laser pointers and other neat little features.

I carry my backup light tight against my harness in the DIR style using a boltsnap and slice of bike innertube as a rubber band. If you do it this way, it's nice to have a light that is shaped more straight than tapered so it's easy to stow and deploy without the band riding up or needing to stretch over an extra-wide lens.

e8ehema6.jpg

I've had some of the cheap, single-16850 battery Chinese lights WAY beyond recreational depths. My suggestion is two of these rebranded OrcaTorch 530s:
Pony up $12 each for two name brand, 3500 mAh batteries (e.g., Panasonic or Sanyo) and you'll be set. Do NOT buy from Amazon.

Reactions: OTF
Which one do you recommend for the small one?

The Dive Gear Express (DGX) Gear 600 is a great small light. Runs on 18650 battery. They have a twist version and a push button version with battery indicator ring around the push button. Inexpensive and it's been reliable for me.

DGX Gears 600 BUTTON Handheld Light
DGX Gears 600 TWIST Handheld Light

I also have the OrcaTorch D550 light which I like as well. It's push button on the bottom, so limited risk of accidentally turning it on. It's also held up well.

I've had some of the cheap, single-16850 battery Chinese lights WAY beyond recreational depths. My suggestion is two of these rebranded OrcaTorch 530s:
Actually looks like a rebranded 550. The 530 is a push button on the barrel.

Pony up $12 each for two name brand, 3500 mAh batteries (e.g., Panasonic or Sanyo) and you'll be set. Do NOT buy from Amazon.
Absolutely this.

But where do you guys order reputable, name-brand, 18650s in small quantities from these days?

Back
Top Bottom