First Lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brit Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Had my first lesson last night! The theory part was mainly about the club, BSAC etc. When I got to the pool part we were a bit late so didn't actually get in the water as the equipment was being sorted. I have been given equipment which I take home and keep while I am training. I found the air so heavy I coldldn't just about pick it up. I must be such a weakling as my 14 yr old son who came to watch picked it up and carried it in his arms and I could just about move it !!
Think I will have a look to see if I can buy a trolley or something or my back will suffer!!!

not to fear, the weight of the gear will become a "nothing" issue with time. Here's some suggestions to help you out:

• get yourself a luggage rack with wheels. Make sure it can transport 200lb+ weight. They are collapasable and ideal to tuck away when not in use.
  • transport gear in plastic tubs (saves your car from getting wet). Don't get them too big, remember you still have to pick them up.
  • get a tank carry strap for each tank

• last but not least
  • get a "full service dive buddy" to help out

Brit Girl,

There will be very few times when you will be called upon to carry all that gear around in the upright position. Let me give you some examples:

(1) I would venture to say that most of the dive boats that I have been on have used the backwards roll for entry. You kit up whilst sitting on the gunnel and never stand up with all your gear on.

(2) If you are on a boat requiring a giant stride entry, you can request to kit up near the entry point and have a crew member assist you to the step.

(3) On shore dives where there is no surf, you ask your stronger mate (or 14 year old rugby-playing son) to carry your BC into the water to a depth where you can kit up and allow the water to "help" you carry the weight.

(4) Underwater, the gear is virtually weightless and you will not even notice it.

(5) Prior to reboarding a dive boat, you remove your BC and a crew member hauls it aboard.

(6) When ending a shore dive, you remove your BC prior to leaving the water and ask one of the folks in (3) to assist.

(7) All the "assistance required" techniques described above have been used by my loyal, beloved buddy, Barbara, another member of the distaff side with strength limitations...

Joewr...

Don't worry

That's how I felt in the start. Carrying the gear without the tank was more than enough. But that slowly changed with tecnique and training (by doing). These days I can get my 16 kg (32 lbs) weight belt and both 12 l steel tanks in the cellar and out to the car in one go. And mostly I get all my wet gear - excluding the tanks- to the fifth flor in one go. So it's too early to despair.

One week of diving hollyday with a club where you do everything yourself - including tank handling and filling - will leave you very sore and tired and used to handeling gear and tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom