First dive of the season at Round Valley today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally got back in the water today at Round Valley Reservoir just outside of Clinton, NJ. 33 feet for 21 minutes with my lowest temp reading 43 Aeris Elite degrees. Didin't notice a thermocline. It was good to be back in the water as my last dive was in Cozumel just hours before riding out Hurricane Wilma for 3 days. This is the longest I have been dry since I started diving. Mostly my wife and I just wanted to check the gear before Bonaire.

Round Valley only charges per car between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I believe around 7 bucks (?). Diving is only permitted from 10a-2p before and after Mem and Lab day. I believe 8a-4p between. A quick check required with the ranger station/office to get a diving permit and off to scuba area number one. The water level is down about 10-15 feet but no problem, just a little farther walk over a pebble beach. Watch out for the folks fishing and in the water ya go. Flag required.

Visibilty was down from past visits with the max being 20 feet and the min being 10 feet. Usually we have about 30+ feet of visiblity. Of course, if you even look at the bottom the wrong way you can silt yourself completely out. Nonetheless, the water is very clear and clean and light penitrates easily. After 20 minutes we were done. Actually my hands were done as they were diving wet, unilke the rest of my body. I packed on the fleece. Polypro tops and bottoms, 100 weight fleece tops and bottoms, and 300 weight fleece tops and bottoms with a 300 weight fleece vest, LOL! Welcome to the world of 26 pounds of lead!:wink:

Not much to look at here at the start of the season. I did see a lot of lures, fishing line, cement blocks, snail, snail trails, plants starting to grow, rocks, silt, and one fish carcass sticking out of the mud at 30 feet. Last time I did see some fish and tall plants. Honestly, Round Valley is a lovely park but scuba area one is basically a deep, cold, pool with a silty bottom. Great for a quick tune up dive and closer than Dutch Springs. And like I said, the park is lovely!

Just a quick report/info for anyone who is planning on going there this summer. Here is more specific info with pictures...http://www.njscuba.net/sites/site_round_valley.html

Manasquan RR Bridge in Jersey and the Ponquogue Bridge in LI are also on my list for the summer. Haven't done them yet. Anyone want to lead the way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom