First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell me a little more about what you like on them? Experience with them… pros and cons?
you can get a perdix AI without the pod which you can buy later on or if you want a smaller version thee is the Teric with or without air integration. For a base model they have the Peregrine.
here is the link to their page

OP must buy a Teric because it's great, an Excursion because it's also great, and a Puck. So that he has a computer he can dive while the Teric is getting its battery replaced and the Excursion is waiting for the firmware update.

I recently went through the first dive computer exercise. It was a tough call, but ultimately, I found the ATMOS Mission One to stand out most in meeting my personal preferences in terms of size, etc. The info presented is clear and just what I need at this stage. The smart watch functionality is nice, but I'm pretty much indifferent on that as a selling point. I do really like the color dive related screens. ATMOS is admittedly a Taiwan company that doesn't have a real good foothold in the market yet. But so far, I'm really impressed with the product. Time may tell otherwise. MISSION2 - ATMOS

Tell me a little more about what you like on them? Experience with them… pros and cons?
The Shearwater Peregrine is such an easy computer to use. It would be their 1st computer, and it would make a wonderful backup for them when they advance in their diving. The only time this computer would need to be replaced as primary, tech diving. I have a Zoop and a Peregrine. Zoop was my 1st, bought used with regs. 250 dives on my Peregrine and love it's simplicity and versatility. No turning on a light to see the screen. Two buttons and rechargeable battery. Vibration alert only that works great, even through my dry suit.

Buy once, cry once.

If you're on a budget, the Mares Puck Pro (and Puck Pro+) are good dive computers that handle Nitrox also, are generally less conservative than Suunto as I understand it, and can often be found on sale under $200 a piece. My son and I have over 100 dives on ours, and they have worked great for recreational diving (easy to replace batteries yourself also).

As for air integration, the Mares Smart with air integration (not all Smarts have that, I believe) would also be fairly economical and have a very similar screen layout and algorithms as the Puck -- so you could probably be in-synch with your kids' Pucks if you went that route.

Depends on depth and amount of dives per day. Will your teenage sons be distracted by the dive computer and not pay attention to air consumption? For shallow depth ranges I simply use a cheap depth gauge and compass. If, however, you are to do multiple dives per day then a computer would suffice for just one of you, provided you are the dive leader. Otherwise just hire them if you can. Cheaper to buy PADI dive tables, and more informative for novice divers.

I was going to go the Garmin as well, but the current specials on the Ratio iDive were just too good.

I got the Deep for a third of the cost of the Garmin and I got a transmitter with that as well.

If you want the best value with global support and all the features you would need (without AI), I'd take a look at the Oceanic VEO 4.0. I recently got one to try before buying more of them to use in my dive school's training/rental fleet. It is a great dive computer with choice of two algorithms to fit your need (multi-day multi-dive or single day multi-dive or whatever) :)

There is also the watch sibling of this computer:

Now if you want more power, customization and AI with path to upgrade the same dive computer to more advanced recreational and even pure technical diving with ALL features including dive compass, etc. then the offerings from Ratio can't be beat especially considering their ongoing specials they have now. Note that you can start with the most basic version of the dive computer, EASY, at a most competitive price available anywhere, and you can upgrade the license to the higher version with more technical diving features later when you need these features. Your investment is safe yet the dive computers are priced at most incredible low price:

The "Watch" version is even lower in price:

...Now if you want more power, customization and AI with path to upgrade the same dive computer to more advanced recreational and even pure technical diving with ALL features include a dive compass, etc. then the offerings from Ratio can't be beat especially considering their ongoing specials they have. Note that you can start with the most basic version of the dive computer, EASY, at a most competitive price available anywhere, and you can upgrade the license to the higher version with more technical diving features later when you need these features. Your investment is safe yet the dive computers are priced at most incredible low price:

The EU prices are currently lower than the US prices
1653334541719.png

1653334562210.png

1653334582520.png
1653334625283.png

Buying the iX3M Pro Easy and transmitter in the EU is $172 less than in the US, a good deal. The iX3M Pro Easy has preset GFs, no custom GFs, if that is important. Tech+ model has custom GF. There are some other feature differences compared to Shearwater that might be important to some, I am fond of SurfGF as an example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom