• AL i200

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Geo 2.0

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Sunnto D4i Novo

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Appolgises for what I am sure is a very common topic.

I am recently qualifed OW and planning on eventually getting to wreck diving (long term goal).
Own already mask & fins and have been looking at dive computers in watch style.
Of course so many out there all with different features & price levels.

So far I've been focusing on the AL i200, Geo 2.0 & D4i Novo.

Are the Geo & D4i worth the investment or do you think at my current level I'd be better with the i200?
Hard to comapre when I don't have them all in front of me at same time.

Thoughts / comments / input based on personal experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Watch style dive computers are a bit naff. If you are young and have good eyes then they work ok, but they are really a too big as an actual watch. They are also more expensive than ‘normal’ ones. You’d be half way to paying for a regulator with the difference.

I suggest to take a look at Cressi Newton, which is watch size diving computer. It has user replaceable battery, ability to download data to PC. You can get it new for less than USD 300.

Hi Ladies & Gents,

Appolgises for what I am sure is a very common topic.

I am recently qualifed OW and planning on eventually getting to wreck diving (long term goal).
Own already mask & fins and have been looking at dive computers in watch style.
Of course so many out there all with different features & price levels.

So far I've been focusing on the AL i200, Geo 2.0 & D4i Novo.

Are the Geo & D4i worth the investment or do you think at my current level I'd be better with the i200?
Hard to comapre when I don't have them all in front of me at same time.

Thoughts / comments / input based on personal experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Dan, if i were in your shoes again today I would buy the About COSMIQ Dive Computer | Deepblu and not look back. If you are really serious about wreck diving, i.e. penetrating wrecks and likely doing decompression dives, it's hard to not consider the Shearwater Perdix for future technical diving.

Dan, if i were in your shoes again today I would buy the About COSMIQ Dive Computer | Deepblu and not look back. If you are really serious about wreck diving, i.e. penetrating wrecks and likely doing decompression dives, it's hard to not consider the Shearwater Perdix for future technical diving.

Initially i was also looking at Cosmiq dive computer as it looks very nice for such price tag. However, read quite many negative reviews about it and decided to go with Cressi Newton. I think that Cosmiq will need to few year to improve their software and linkage between phone and computer.

Don't know what the i200 has over the i100 for $150 more so I would go with the i100.

I think in the long run Suunto's conservative algorithm is a major disadvantage.
The GEO has a lot of flexibility in its algorithm and is a very convenient size. If your eyes are bad, add gauge readers to your mask.

I think in the long run Suunto's conservative algorithm is a major disadvantage.
The GEO has a lot of flexibility in its algorithm and is a very convenient size. If your eyes are bad, add gauge readers to your mask.
Have you personally found that your diving is restricted by Suunto? As a new diver it is likely that he will be limited by gas consumption. My own experience is that even on liveaboards it is not an issue. Reputable operators will make sure surface intervals are adequate and make Nitrox available. Both these mitigations improve safety whichever computer you use.

Have you personally found that your diving is restricted by Suunto? As a new diver it is likely that he will be limited by gas consumption. My own experience is that even on liveaboards it is not an issue. Reputable operators will make sure surface intervals are adequate and make Nitrox available. Both these mitigations improve safety whichever computer you use.

@KenGordon , my experience is the same as yours. I've had a Suunto Vyper Air and a Zoop backup over the period of a little more than 100 dives. Most of my diving is vacation diving on resorts, or most often on liveaboards doing at least 7 days at a time, 4-5 dives a day. There are times when I've had to shallow up slightly, but the surface intervals and options of nitrox, along with what there actually is to see at what depths, it has been fine. I haven't had to sit out on a dive or miss out on anything given Suunto's RGBM. They're fine and yes, they are conservative compared to other algorithms like Oceanic's Geo 2 using DSAT which is one of the most liberal. They haven't impeded on my diving or my buddy's, or my group's.

They definitely don't like sawtooth zigzag profile dives and they punish you for those. They also punish you for blowing ascent rates and skipping safety stops...but I think those are all things that you should avoid anyway. Sometimes, conservatism is good. Just because you can dive to a liberal computer doesn't mean you should given your experience, physical condition, health, water temps, etc.

I would, however, suggest the OP get the Geo 2. It makes an excellent backup should the OP decide to get another computer one day. I generally like to use a more liberal computer as a backup or at the very least have it match my primary. The Suunto may find itself in a more difficult position to act as a backup if the OP decides to upgrade to a much more liberal computer one day. It's also quite user friendly to replace batteries...It saves some money in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom