Request for experiences with Ratio iX3M dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good morning!

I know that when asking for input on any gear, most answers start out with "It depends..." I will say up front that I would in no way be pushing the limits or using this computer to it's maximum. While I might some day take the Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures training, for now I am limited to air or nitrox, to 130'.

So, most entry level computers would cover my diving. But...

I am hoping to hear from those who have used (or perhaps have been diving with those who were using) Ratio iX3M computers, especially the [Pro] Deep version. I think the [Pro] Tech+ would be way beyond what I am looking for. Or, if folks could compare/contrast those with the Shearwater Perdix. They seem similar in features (differences I have noted include number and placement of buttons, user replaceable battery versus rechargeable, and the iX3M is slightly longer.)

If I purchase a computer in this range, it would need to last many years... more likely a couple decades. I know from reading other threads that it isn't unusual for some dive computers to last a long time. My thought is I might want to experience the pain (high cost) up front, and save on buying multiple computers over time, if I could get one that not only meets my current needs, but exceeds them.

I am interested mainly in reliability and usability. How long have you owned it? How many dives? What do you like or dislike? Can you read it in bright sun as well as during dives?

The large color screen is a plus. I don't yet wear glasses, but if something is too close to my face, it can be blurry, so I suspect in a few years I will be doing so. The Shearwater Peregrine is interesting, but I would prefer the built in compass that the Perdix and iX3M have.

Anyway- just looking for some input, as I have never seen or used one of these.

Thank you for your time.

Bob

Good morning!

I know that when asking for input on any gear, most answers start out with "It depends..." I will say up front that I would in no way be pushing the limits or using this computer to it's maximum. While I might some day take the Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures training, for now I am limited to air or nitrox, to 130'.

I am hoping to hear from those who have used (or perhaps have been diving with those who were using) Ratio iX3M computers, especially the [Pro] Deep version. I think the [Pro] Tech+ would be way beyond what I am looking for. Or, if folks could compare/contrast those with the Shearwater Perdix. They seem similar in features (differences I have noted include number and placement of buttons, user replaceable battery versus rechargeable, and the iX3M is slightly longer.)

If I purchase a computer in this range, it would need to last many years... more likely a couple decades. I know from reading other threads that it isn't unusual for some dive computers to last a long time. My thought is I might want to experience the pain (high cost) up front, and save on buying multiple computers over time, if I could get one that not only meets my current needs, but exceeds them.

I am interested mainly in reliability and usability. How long have you owned it? How many dives? What do you like or dislike? Can you read it in bright sun as well as during dives?

The large color screen is a plus. I don't yet wear glasses, but if something is too close to my face, it can be blurry, so I suspect in a few years I will be doing so. The Shearwater Peregrine is interesting, but I would prefer the built in compass that the Perdix and iX3M have.

Thank you for your time.

Bob
Hello,

I have been using Ratio;s for two years now and like them very much. The XM2 has great legibility, is almost as easy to use as the Perdix and tracks the perdix closely. The only negative that I've found so far is that you can only upload your dives by using a cable that is connected to you PC. I've read that it has Bluetooth connectivity, but haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet. Otherwise, great piece of kit. Would highly recommend.

Roni

I had the previous Pro Tech “+” version with square buttons, it was using weird Buhlmann ZHL16B instead of C version like all others in the market. Couldn’t use while diving with my buddies because it was PITA trying to match deco profiles. Also using four different buttons that doing different things depending on where you are at in the menu can be confusing sometimes. Sold it and bought Perdix AI.

Newer version currently in the market I think they adopted ZHL16C so that’s no longer big problem I assume, also they made indicators regarding what those buttons do, I think it becomes more user friendly.

Apart of that solid and nicely made piece of equipment with full of functionality.

Good morning!

Thank you for your time.

Bob

Start with reading this thread please. I'll get back to you with more information and answer your questions later tonight or tomorrow as I am on the road today.

The only negative that I've found so far is that you can only upload your dives by using a cable that is connected to you PC. I've read that it has Bluetooth connectivity, but haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet. Otherwise, great piece of kit. Would highly recommend.

Bluetooth works just fine for me and I use it to download the log no issues. I use SubSurface as the log software. I use the USB cable to recharge the batteries or to update the firmware when there is an update only.

If you check Ratio's YouTube channel, there is a video there showing how to pair the computers via Bluetooth I think.

Bluetooth works just fine for me and I use it to download the log no issues. I use SubSurface as the log software. I use the USB cable to recharge the batteries or to update the firmware when there is an update only.

If you check Ratio's YouTube channel, there is a video there showing how to pair the computers via Bluetooth I think.
thank you.

I like the way you are thinking. Better to have more computer than you need than less. I approach it the same way. I current have two that are well beyond my needs. SW Perdix and Garmin MK2s.
Or, if folks could compare/contrast those with the Shearwater Perdix.
Prior to purchasing the Perdix, I looked real closely at the Ratio line. What pushed me to the Shearwater was primarily cost. I already had a PPS transmitter which I could use with the Predux. I would have needed to purchase another transmitter to use with the Ratio.
The Shearwater Peregrine is interesting, but I would prefer the built in compass that the Perdix and iX3M have.
Based on this comment, a Peregrine may serve you well, and save you a few bucks.

There are a few things that the Peregrine can’t do that the Perdix or Ratio line can.
1. Compass. Though my Perdix has a compass, I’ve never used it. The compass takes up the entire bottom row, which has lots of information I want to see during the dive. As such, I much prefer an analog compass or the compass on my backup.
2. Trimix or CC capability. This didn’t sound like a consideration for you.
3. AI capability. Again, as you were looking at the Peregrine, this didn’t seem like a requirement.

If AI is a must, the Peregrine wouldn’t make much sense. If compass is the only consideration, a Peregrind and analog compass would be considerably cheaper.

Thank you to the folks who are posting. I haven't purchased a SW or Ratio dive computer at this point, but like to keep an eye on developments and prices. Good points, about the compass and AI. I haven't used AI, as far as wireless- I do have a Suunto Cobra dive computer/console. It works, but it's over 20 years old, and has its own limitations. Last year (or, early this year) I came across a sale on the Ratio computers, on their European website- it wouldn't let me order one for shipping to the USA. Though, a week or two ago, I saw a thread about using a proxy (is that the correct term?) address in Europe to facilitate shipping to the USA.

Have a great evening!

Edit- Trimix and CC are not likely to be of interest to me. It could be the Peregrine would be more than enough. In which case, I should have purchased before the price increases. :)

Edit 2- The Divesoft tech computers would also be a viable consideration.

Edit- Trimix and CC are not likely to be of interest to me. It could be the Peregrine would be more than enough. In which case, I should have purchased before the price increases

Note that Scubapro is coming out with a new DC with AI and full GF for around the same price of the Peregrine. The same computer without AI at less cost than Peregrine. Check this thread:

Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom