First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will sort that out after the vacations. I confirm that my computer « advised » stops at 20, 12 then 5. 2 minutes each time. The mystery remains on the 12 m stop. Once I have the dive profile, we will have more intelligence.
Now, I am diving with a rent computer, rent wetsuit, a rent BCD and it is a pain. Can’t find the purge valves in time, took 2 days to find out I needed to go from 5kg weight to 3, cylinder moving and upsetting my balance... Pain but gain (experience).
You got your own gear at home?
Renting gear is a pain.
Thats an experience i dont want to make :D
I always take my gear with me. I had not to rent anything yet.(after owd ofc)

I was thinking the same thing, surely he could have at least taken his own DC and regs!

I always bring my Perdix Regs and mask. BCD booties and fins can rent and I dive in places where I don't need a wet suit. He was only 2kg over weighted so the BCD can deal with that not a big deal.

You got your own gear at home?
Renting gear is a pain.
Thats an experience i dont want to make :D
I always take my gear with me. I had not to rent anything yet.(after owd ofc)
My wife and I were supposed to spend 4 days week-end. She arranged it and specifically told me no dive. But it was a trap. So I ended up diving everyday with rented equipment. It sucked.

My wife and I were supposed to spend 4 days week-end. She arranged it and specifically told me no dive. But it was a trap. So I ended up diving everyday with rented equipment. It sucked.

All in all a good experience for you. Remember what I wrote that you need to dive in different conditions to build it up. Being able to use different BCD's and gear is invaluable. Sometimes I may go diving and bring all my own gear other times my basics which is my Perdix mask and Apex regulators.

I will sort that out after the vacations. I confirm that my computer « advised » stops at 20, 12 then 5. 2 minutes each time. The mystery remains on the 12 m stop. Once I have the dive profile, we will have more intelligence.
Now, I am diving with a rent computer, rent wetsuit, a rent BCD and it is a pain. Can’t find the purge valves in time, took 2 days to find out I needed to go from 5kg weight to 3, cylinder moving and upsetting my balance... Pain but gain (experience).
Welcome to the real world, Different parts of the ocean have varying salinity properties. As do the buoyancy characteristics of wetsuits made by different companies.

Your 2kg difference could have been from the BCD being less buoyant than your, or the difference in the wetsuit. Another variable is the TARE weight of the cylinders. I've dived with 12Lt 232bar cylinders where the TARE weight ranges from 13 to 17.5Kg. Last year I borrowed my buddy's travel BCD rather than take my own. I was surprised I needed an extra 3kg because of the neoprene built into the BCD (at a location I've dived many times); but then that's what checkout dives are for.

The day I think I know it all is the day I had better give up diving; diving is a never-ending learning experience.

I will sort that out after the vacations. I confirm that my computer « advised » stops at 20, 12 then 5. 2 minutes each time. The mystery remains on the 12 m stop. Once I have the dive profile, we will have more intelligence...

Yes, it will be interesting to see the profile, please post it. I can't think of a mechanism for you Aqua Lung computer to have had a 12 meter stop.

Yes, it will be interesting to see the profile, please post it. I can't think of a mechanism for you Aqua Lung computer to have had a 12 meter stop.
If I had done this on a Suunto I would expect something like 12. I see stops at 20 and 11 on a 39m wreck dive I did in Gozo. I distinctly remember deciding to actually do the 11m stop while the other two on regular Suuntos carried on up the reef.

if the scheme is essentially Pyle stops then this is what you would expect. The Aqualung manual could give more detail but I am sure it would become very obvious after a couple of bounces to depth.

Honestly though, going to 40m on a 80 or 100cuft cylinder, the risk isn’t from deep stops or deco but something like a freeflow or leak at 40.

It’s been a wonderful 50 days journey from the day we visited a dive shop for the first time to now AOW with 37 dives. And that's only the beginning. Even if we are both 51 years old.

Still pretty young!
Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom