First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just found this

Attachments

• PADI Deep Diver course 12-metre safetydecompressionlong stop  ScubaBoard.png
    PADI Deep Diver course 12-metre safetydecompressionlong stop ScubaBoard.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 62
Maybe your computer adds this second stop, because you passed 40m.
Should be written in the manual.

It seems that a 12 m safety stop is not unheard of in both training practice and computer settings.

It seems that a 12 m safety stop is not unheard of in both training practice and computer settings.

Also your other stop at 20m as that was half your max depth. You may decide to change the setting to off if you want. Avoids extra stops which are not necessary when you are not exceeding NDL.

Have you determined that you set your DC to a stop at 12 for 2 mins or do you assume that is a default setting as I did not see anything about that in the manual, only for deep stop which is half you dive max depth.

I looked at the manual also and found the "deep safety stop" to be called by the computer, in the OP's dive, at 1/2 the max depth which in this case was 20 m. I believe the computer wasn't calling for a stop at 12 m as you and I could not find anything in the manual. Per Dody's attachment above in post #231 it looks like the instructor called for the 12 m stop.

I looked at the manual also and found the "deep safety stop" to be called by the computer, in the OP's dive, at 1/2 the max depth which in this case was 20 m. I believe the computer wasn't calling for a stop at 12 m as you and I could not find anything in the manual. Per Dody's attachment above in post #231 it looks like the instructor called for the 12 m stop.

The instructor was not on the dive so he didn't call anything. He was doing his first 40m training dive with a DM.

Dody wrote a few times it was his computer that notified him of the 12m 2 minute stop.

Then the computer said: 12 meters - 2 minutes stop

I will sort that out after the vacations. I confirm that my computer « advised » stops at 20, 12 then 5. 2 minutes each time. The mystery remains on the 12 m stop. Once I have the dive profile, we will have more intelligence.
Now, I am diving with a rent computer, rent wetsuit, a rent BCD and it is a pain. Can’t find the purge valves in time, took 2 days to find out I needed to go from 5kg weight to 3, cylinder moving and upsetting my balance... Pain but gain (experience).

The stops could be pyle stops right?
I am not too familiar with them. But i remember the depth calculation is: (maxDepth + firstDecoStop) / 2
First stop is probably 5m for saftystop, or 0m because not real stop is required.
Next pyle stop is: (lastStop +firstDecoStop) /2

So( 20 +5 )/2 =12

I could be totally wrong, but that could be the reason for the stops.

The stops could be pyle stops right?
I am not too familiar with them. But i remember the depth calculation is: (maxDepth + firstDecoStop) / 2
First stop is probably 5m for saftystop, or 0m because not real stop is required.
Next pyle stop is: (lastStop +firstDecoStop) /2

So( 20 +5 )/2 =12 I could be totally wrong, but that could be the reason for the stops.

I mentioned that very early on in the thread and I don't think Dody understood what they are.

Ah ok didnt saw that.

He is new to diving, so yes he probably doesnt know.

If is computer is really doing pyle stops he should read about them and make a decision if he wants them or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom