First class upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I keep hearing people talk about upgrading to first class when it's available. How do you do that? Do you have to pay anything extra? I feel lucky if I can get Beast and I exit isle seats!

One reason we don't fly any more than we do is coach seats just don't fit our wide, tall bodies!

I've got four First class upgrades that were issued me almost two years ago, due to frequent flier miles....

I've tried to get an upgrade issued more than seven times, only to find out each time that an upgrade is only issuable at the gate on boarding. So, anyone who wants to pay for an upgrade, and anyone who obviously paid for a seat in First class, is ahead of me...And all seven times, First class was full....LOL

I gave up.

Sean

is a BA cabin director and she says that they will not upgrade if an airline exec is travelling on the plane....

You can always ask (but the only time I got one I didn't ask :D ). One of the problems now is that we so many flights cancelled/merged the planes always seem to be full these days..

35 days to go - we'll see :)

The best way to get upgrades is to have a frequent flyer card for that airline. Then if coach is full, and there's room in business, you will be high on the list to get bumped up. Also, if you're travelling with work and use their preferred airline with whom they have a deal, you can also be on the priority list for upgrading.

Looking smart at check in can help get you on the bump up list if none of the above apply. And travelling alone also increases your chances, because they don't need to sit you with anyone.

But that's all upgrading without asking... some airlines won't upgrade people who request it, others might.

Try to orthodox methods first (like frequent flyer points).

or

Complain about the cramped seating arrangements (this one doesn't work for me as I'm 155cm and 50kg).

or

Say you are a travel writer working for a major publication (I know this one works occassionally)

or

Give hints that you are someone famous or a dignitary. My friend's dad was often mistaken for Henry Kissinger and upgraded.

Some airlines, Delta does it on long hauls, will sell upgrades before boarding if the class isn't full. On the LA/NY, you can usually buy them for $75.

I like the Henry Kissinger idea.

I'd say you and Beast could pass for JLo and Ben. Try it. You'll have as good of chance as any others mentioned!

i ahve been bumped only two times, but they were on the same trip!! that was when i was traveling to key west to get my OW. on the way down from boston to orlando my dad and i didn't have seats next to each other i was in the middle seat and he was like 10 rows back, we asked to gate agent if she could put us together and she put us in first class. on the way back they had oversold coach and they called us up to the desk and gave us another first class ticket. i cant belive how lucky i was on that trip.
first class i VERY nice~!:D

Yikes, I looked into a first class upgrade coming back from Coz this year and was informed that they (Contential) would be more than happy to upgrade me, for a mere $750. I would have considered a more economical price, but not a chance at that price.

Back
Top Bottom