First class upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the gate when I'm checking us in, that's when I ask if there's upgrades available? I can do that!

The only flying I'll be doing in the forseable future is to Roatan on TACA. I think I'll learn to say first class upgrade in spanish! LOL

Bottom line...

Unless you are a senior status Frequent Flyer on their program, it ain't likely to happen.

As an example with Delta:
Platinum members can pay coach & reserve 1st when they book.
Gold can upgrage 72 hours before flight time,
Silver is 24 hours before (I think).
Then at the gate any FF is ahead of non FF's.

Good Luck...

But there's a reason for it. I've logged a lot of miles as a member ot Continental's frequent flyer program. My first class upgrades are the reward I get for choosing to fly Continetal rather than save $20 here or there by flying on another carrier.

I often see people approach Continental gata agents and ask, "Are there any upgrades available?" The agent always answers, "Only if you have elite status in the Onepass program."

Some airlines will let you pay a nominal fee for an upgrade if they have unsold tickets in first class and you have paid for a full fare ticket. That's not really a bargain, though, because the full fare tickets are not cheap by any means.

You rarely get something for nothing.

As Raviepoo pointed out, Continental offers the best upgrade policies of any of the major airlines for its Elite members (along with its partner Northwest). And it is the best and most convienent airline out of Texas for getting to Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean. That's why I fly it everywhere I go (except Bonaire), as they will match anyone's fares, including SW.

As an elite in Onepass, I am eligible for no cost upgrade on any paid flight on Continental or Northwest in the US, Mexico and Caribbean when a first class seat is available. This includes the deeply discounted fares to match SW and the specials they were running to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but not hotwire or priceline. I've flown Austin to Las Vegas in FC for $95 round trip and SA to FLL for $116.

While I have dropped from Gold to Silver last year, I still get upgraded on over 80% of the flights because I choose planes that have the most number of first class seats to improve my chances when there is a choice of flights at the same price.

It only takes 30 segments in a year to get Silver Elite in Onepass. And with the frequent flyer miles we've collected, we will be going to Hawaii in FC for the second year in a row this January. ($3000 tickets each) and swapped enough points with my in-laws to go to Bonaire on American for Christmas.

;-0 But there's no free lunch...

I'm not going to book "Full Coach" to upgrade at booking as a Platinum Delta FF member, as I'm paying for the cheapest ticket I can find on my favorite airline. Therefore, I have to wait until 24 hours before the first flight going or returning, then call in for a Courtesy Upgrade. They'll give it to me, not knowing that I'm going to be dressed like a dive bum. :gjoker: I do try to be clean and smelling good.

But then, Delta only offers First Class on Real Delta, not their partner airlines or Express. Lubbock to DFW to Raliegh is all a partner airline, unless I want to take an extra plane change in Atlanta. :bleh:

With any other airline, it's going to be a :$: money thing. "How much would it cost me to upgrade?" I ask (1) when I book or call to select seats (which I do even if a group sponsor does booking), (2) again when I call the day before travel to confirm, (3) again when I check in at the front counter (you're best bet), and (4) once more at the gate counter. $25 and up, usually a lot more, if available, which usually not.

Mostly I make a point of being ready for a nap when I board.

:cheers: D-Don

Dee, most of the staff at TACA probably speak English, (I love that airline), but if not, you can ask "Tienen ustedes asientos en primera clase?" (do you have any seats in first class?)
I have had pretty good luck with that. I always ask if there are upgrades available when I check in. Sometimes, they give me one, gratis. Sometimes, they say "Sure. It'll be $40". Most of the time, though, they either say no, (especially of the flight is not full), or that it would cost me a gajillion dollars. Once, I was gabbing with a flight attendant before I got on the plane, and after we took off, she poked her head through the curtain and pointed at me, and gestured for me to come up. She handed me a glass of champagne and a menu. :mean: That was a rare case, but it's always a good policy to be nice to people.
To increase your chances, arrive at the gate early. They like it when you do that. I have been handed the most free upgrades that way, including the last flight I took home from Europe last month, that was awesome!

Back
Top Bottom