Firefox 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you enable color management in FF 3, you will see some images that look all wrong, amongst them
the ScubaBoard masthead, which looks very purple with color mgt enabled.

Checking with photoshop showed that it wasn't color managed, so it looks like FF 3 color mgt.
has a problem with non-color managed images.

At Firefox Color Management - Canon Digital Photography Forums I found the
fix:

In about:config, set gfx.color_management.display_profile
to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\srgb color space profile.icm

Note that the first part may vary -- on my desktop machine it would be
c:\WINNT (That machine started as an NT machine, and has been upgraded several times).

A nifty way to do it without messing with about:config, is to download the
Color Management add-on.

Here's a screen capture of the lower-left corner of the Scubaboard home page.
I'm using Firefox 3.0 on a mac running Leopard 10.5.3.

The misalignment of the thread bullets with the blue border has been happening with FF2 since the site layout changed a couple of months ago. I just decided it wasn't worth mentioning.

I upgraded to FF3 recently and now the overlap of the "Latest Threads" and "Latest Articles" links with the "Advertise | Privacy | TOS ..." line shows up, didn't have that with FF2. It's still possible to pick "Latest Thread" but I have to be a more careful mouse marksman, which takes time. Could you look at this, please?

Attachments

• scubabord_screen.jpg
    scubabord_screen.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
Bump...
OK, I've politely waited a week and seen no reply or response of any kind. Firefox is a mainstream browser. Do other Firefox 3 users not have this problem?

No love for Firefox on Scubaboard?

I do some of that at times, on various sites. Sometimes it's so irritating that I got to Explorer; usually only a minor irritation. I do think it's Firefor more than the sites, but we knew there'd be bugs with anything new.

I do opt for larger fonts by used CTRL+ and maybe that causes some of it, but I've seen it on regular size.

Screen shots of FF & IE pages attached; little problem at the moment...

Attachments

• Screen03.JPG
    Screen03.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen04.JPG
    Screen04.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 18
Only trouble I have on FF is gmail crashes it ... every time.

I do keep FF, IE, and AOL on my Desktop and Start Menu. A few sites just don't work as well on FF, and I like AOL email as it does not include my IP info when I send - but gawd is it slow....!

BTW, I only have 14 icons on my Desktop. I've read that too many can slow the computer down, but I did it mostly for organization. All 12 of my photo & video programs are in that folder, etc. No one suggested that to me; had to think of that one on my own altho I'm sure it's been done by many others. I placed a Desktop shortcut on my Taskbar so I can click it, then go to my Photo/Video folder, my Computer/Security folder (where I keep anti-virus, all anti-spy, Disk Clean, DeFrag, shortcut to System Restore and a few optimizing programs). :cool: Not bad for an untrained dirt & cow farmer.

I do some of that at times, on various sites. Sometimes it's so irritating that I got to Explorer; usually only a minor irritation. I do think it's Firefor more than the sites, but we knew there'd be bugs with anything new.

I do opt for larger fonts by used CTRL+ and maybe that causes some of it, but I've seen it on regular size.

Screen shots of FF & IE pages attached; little problem at the moment...

Aha. Yeah, it's the fonts. And it's not FF, it's the site, I'm pretty sure.
First, I note that while you don't have the awful overlap I reported above, your text and the blue box have similar misalignment to what I had been seeing.

So I cranked up safari, Apple's native browser (I can't and won't run IE). It has the same border alignment problem as you show. So, using your hint on fonts, I went into FF preferences and increased the minimum font size to 15. How do you like this screen (below)?

I believe the problem is that the home page in the new site graphics introduced a couple of months ago is ignoring the possibility that the user might change the font size. Maybe IE, standards-ignoring as it's well known to be, doesn't have this capability, so the developers didn't allow for it, and mixed some fixed-sized elements with some elements that per www standards can be variably sized. Just a guess, but between the new web page and (both FF and safari) I'll bet it's not both browsers having the same problem.

I've temporarily set my preferences so the default font is 34 point, with the minimum 15. Interesting, all the vBulletin pages render sensibly, even though they look odd at these sizes. Just the SB home page gets mangled.

I'm not enough of an html etc. geek to troubleshoot it any further. I don't believe the problem is FF or safari, I think it's the SB home page, with the likely excuse that IE can't expose the problem so the designer doesn't see it. Fortunately, it's not critical, I can either ignore it or mess with font sizes so it's readable.

Attachments

• grabmin15.jpg
    grabmin15.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 14
I decided to spend a few minutes in google to see if I could identify this as a well-known problem. It's pretty much as I had guessed: Web standards (Worldwide Web Consortium : CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), see About the W3C CSS Validation Service) allow for specifying a minimum font size. IE does not support it, so is not standards-compliant in this, as in many other ways, and naive web designers often ignore it.

References: See for example
accessibility - minimum font size - Gunlaug's homepages
... Opera, Mozilla/Firefox and Safari are the most well known standard-compliant browsers around at the moment, and they all have this 'minimum font size' option.
Internet Explorer (windows) doesn't have a 'minimum font size' option. It does however have an 'ignore font-sizes in page' option that "web designers" often find it convenient to "forget" about – with disastrous results at times....

Also
Font sizing
Setting font size in pixels | 456 Berea Street
among dozens of others.

Scubaboard isn't the only site with problems like this. I'm not going to push this any further, the owners of Scubaboard need to decide the pros and cons of their website being WWWC standards-compliant. But having broached the appearance problem initially and hearing a response that it's a FF problem, I wanted to chase that down. Nope. It's a site problem.

BTW, IE8 is planned to be standards-compliant by default. If you think the end of analog TV broadcast in Feb 09 is going to be fun, you'll want to stock up on popcorn for that transition ... Reference:
Dear Computerworld, there's a reason why IE8 breaks the web

Back
Top Bottom