Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This person would have no other duties but this? I wondering if that is the case typically. How would someone do other activities during the day and then stay up all night?

one crew member sleeps 6pm to midnight , or 6 am to noon. Or make it 8 hours but it can be done and worked around. Would costs increase? probably.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

While we respect and encourage candor, I have removed a number of off topic posts about how natives from another continent are treated. Please stay on topic, which is the tragedy of the Red Sea Aggressor I burning and fatality.

With all this talk of SEOs and spreading the word about tragedies such as this, I feel I should add my perspective. ScubaBoard is the premier forum dedicated to divers that is owned, run and moderated by divers. Accidents and Incidents is our busiest sub-forum and is dedicated to discussing all scuba related accidents and incidents in a manner that will give the reader ideas and strategies to possibly prevent any future injuries and deaths. All of our moderators are passionate volunteers and are separated from the business side of ScubaBoad, so that they will make decisions based not on profits, but rather on keeping content on topic, civil and fair. This is the beauty of user generated content. All perspectives are welcome and we won't stick you with a one sided editorial that is carefully written to promote a website to potential subscribers. No other website presents you with such a diversity of experts' opinions, first hand accounts as well as candid insights from so many divers. No, we don't vet for truth. That's for our readers and participants to figure out. However, whatever happens in diving gets talked about right here and that's why so many dive professionals rely on us.

fd7151345c90b6ad57412ecdc7808f0b.jpg

If you haven't already noticed:

You're living in a fishbowl, so you might as well get used to us talking about you!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

While we respect and encourage candor, I have removed a number of off topic posts about how natives from another continent are treated. Please stay on topic, which is the tragedy of the Red Sea Aggressor I burning and fatality.

With all this talk of SEOs and spreading the word about tragedies such as this, I feel I should add my perspective. ScubaBoard is the premier forum dedicated to divers that is owned, run and moderated by divers. This is our busiest forum and is dedicated to discussing all scuba related accidents and incidents in a manner that will give the reader ideas and strategies to possibly prevent any future injuries and deaths. All of our moderators are passionate volunteers and are separated from the business side of ScubaBoad, so that they will make decisions based not on profits, but rather on keeping content on topic, civil and fair. This is the beauty of user generated content. All perspectives are welcome and we won't stick you with a one sided editorial that is carefully written to promote a website to potential subscribers. No other website presents you with such a diversity of experts' opinions, first hand accounts as well as candid insights from so many divers. No, we don't vet for truth. That's for our readers and participants to figure out. Whatever happens in diving gets talked about right here and that's why so many dive professionals rely on us.

View attachment 549229

If you haven't already noticed:
You're living in a fishbowl, so you might as well get used to us talking about you!

This site provides an important resource and as we see from this thread a method for people to get in contact with each other that were a part of a trajedy. Pretty good public service.

So...what was the cause of the fire, why did none of the smoke alarms work, why was there a mattress over the emergency exit hatch, was there a watch or not? Since the wreck is within reach of a day boat mooring, will it be raised for examination, will it be examined underwater for clues, will the body of the dead passenger be searched for and returned to family if possible?...

That's generally the way it's done now and IMHO that's part of the problem. You have people who have worked a full day, are tired from that, and now they pull the 2-4AM watch? Recipe for falling asleep on watch. Either have a dedicated - only job - night watch, or have a mandated rest period before a night watch added to daytime duties, or max # hours you can work in a 24-hour period, or something like that.

There's quite a bit of research on the military side (sub and surface fleets) on optimal watch lengths and splits. Obviously even a small military vessel would have significantly more crew, but the dive boats don't have ops going on all night either. It's a start in any case.

There's quite a bit of research on the military side (sub and surface fleets) on optimal watch lengths and splits. Obviously even a small military vessel would have significantly more crew, but the dive boats don't have ops going on all night either. It's a start in any case.

Some liveaboards do overnight crossings. Some never do, some do them going out and then returning, some do them almost every night...It just depends. Watches are obviously more easily executed when there are crossings as someone has to be on the bridge and an engineer needs to be awake for the engine room and generators. These boats operate on different shift schedules so something similar could be done for watches even if no crossing is being done..essentially, a graveyard shift.

The next 6 months to 1 year will be the safest time ever to travel on Aggressor boats.

I said something along those lines after Malaysia Airlines 370. Oops.

Back
Top Bottom