Fire at Alegro August 1, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From that link: “Our group of 7 was in one of the palapas that burned. There was no fire alarm. We were not alerted. We smelled smoke, walked outside our room and saw the massive fire three palapas from us."

Visitors do really need to bring their own Smoke & CO alarms. So many hotel rooms don't have them or they're not maintained. If this had been a late night fire, many may have perished.

From that link: “Our group of 7 was in one of the palapas that burned. There was no fire alarm. We were not alerted. We smelled smoke, walked outside our room and saw the massive fire three palapas from us."

Visitors do really need to bring their own Smoke & CO alarms. So many hotel rooms don't have them or they're not maintained. If this had been a late night fire, many may have perished.
Absolutely. No fire alarms, the hotel staff was useless and the fire hydrant was empty. Fire crew members had to pump water out of the swimming pool. Dive shop burned with all my dive equipment - $3500 in gear. I will never stay in a hotel that has straw roofs. Some time ago, Allegro was warned by fire officials about fire code violations and DID NOTHING TO FIX THEM.

Absolutely. No fire alarms
I have one packed in my luggage for flying to Cozumel tomorrow.
I will never stay in a hotel that has straw roofs
They do seem like fire hazards.
Dive shop burned with all my dive equipment - $3500 in gear.
I hope that you are covered by good trip insurance, or that your homeowners will cover the loss. If not, I'd go after the corporation that may be willing to help to protect their name. DAN is actually offering good trip insurance underwritten by General, but then General offers good trip insurance for less. https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/ I always take it primarily for the nondiving medical insurance, but it covers property too.

I don't know if it will help but there is a Facebook group dedicated to the fire & ways to recover losses etc.

I don't know why the link came out like that but it seems to work but the group page is listed as Allegro Fire 2022.

Absolutely. No fire alarms, the hotel staff was useless and the fire hydrant was empty. Fire crew members had to pump water out of the swimming pool. Dive shop burned with all my dive equipment - $3500 in gear. I will never stay in a hotel that has straw roofs. Some time ago, Allegro was warned by fire officials about fire code violations and DID NOTHING TO FIX THEM.

WOWWWWW!!!!

Question... My sister were having a debate he other day, she thinks the Allegro used to be the original Wyndham but I didnt think so, I thought the original Wyndham was further north near El Presidente

Anyone remember?

I don't know why the link came out like that but it seems to work but the group page is listed as Allegro Fire 2022.

I've been following it out of curiousity, partly because I had a vacay messed up when our LOB caught fire in Egypt a few years back. Sounds like Allegro didn't handle it in a very customer-centric way and sounds like most people had a nightmare experience the following days. I know one of the hardest parts of that is not knowing what comes next and what is the right move to make.

The Allegro was originally known as The Diamond and I believe it opened in early 96. It was the first resort to be built in the southern hotel zone (as it's now called) followed by The Reef Club (AKA Club Isla) which opened very late in 97 or in early 98. It is now the Secrets / Residencias Reef etc complex. Back when it opened up until hurricane Wilma hit it had a very nice beach area. I stayed at the Reef Club in Feb of 98 and although it was open it wasn't actually fully finished.

I have one packed in my luggage for flying to Cozumel tomorrow.

They do seem like fire hazards.

I hope that you are covered by good trip insurance, or that your homeowners will cover the loss. If not, I'd go after the corporation that may be willing to help to protect their name. DAN is actually offering good trip insurance underwritten by General, but then General offers good trip insurance for less. https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/ I always take it primarily for the nondiving medical insurance, but it covers property too.
DandyDon: I was looking at the 3 levels of travel insurance offered by General, Standard, Preferred, and Premium. Do you know which one offers the primary medical?

The Allegro was originally known as The Diamond and I believe it opened in early 96. It was the first resort to be built in the southern hotel zone (as it's now called) followed by The Reef Club (AKA Club Isla) which opened very late in 97 or in early 98. It is now the Secrets / Residencias Reef etc complex. Back when it opened up until hurricane Wilma hit it had a very nice beach area. I stayed at the Reef Club in Feb of 98 and although it was open it wasn't actually fully finished.

Cool - so do you remember what the original Wyndham became?

Back
Top Bottom