Fins: most power, least effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I want to buy my first pair of fins, and am looking for a couple suggestions. I don't have a LOT of leg power, so I am looking for fins that will give me the most power for the least amount of effort (in my OW class, I was stuck with some huge fins that just tired my poor lil legs out). I would like ones with straps, not full foot fins, and money isn't really an issue...I would rather spend more money now on a good pair of fins than have to buy better fins at some point in the near future. (Of course, if i can get some really good fins for cheaper, by all means, i will!). And one more quick question. Once I purchase fins and use them a couple times, what if I decide i don't like them? Should I be able to return the fins to my LDS no problem? I suppose I could just ask them that question though. :05: But yes, any suggestions for a good fin that will give me the most power for the least effort would be wonderful...those fins that have the split up the middle, is that along the lines that I should be looking for for my concerns?

I have Tusa X-pert zoom fins that I bought because of the reasons you mentioned above. I really like them. I get plenty of speed to "catch up" when needed by using short rapid strokes. I even added a set of spring straps to mine for easy removal in the water and it's great.

Diving around here you will not be able to return fins as they'll be pretty chewed up after any shore dives (think of the entries at Porteau or Whytecliff and all those rocks).

I would go to the LDS that you prefer and talk to them. Especially if you took the class from there and are familiar with the fins you were using.

It could also be that with some work your kicks will become more efficient :)

Bjorn

creamofwheat:
... I don't have a LOT of leg power, so I am looking for fins that will give me the most power for the least amount of effort (in my OW class, I was stuck with some huge fins that just tired my poor lil legs out). ...

Apollo Bio Fins. If they are not at your local shop, try giving Larry at ScubaToys a call (be sure to mention ScubaBoard). If they are at local shop, try giving Larry at ScubaToys a call anyway (be sure to mention ScubaBoard). See what the price difference is.

If you are interested in split fins, you could check for the apollo biofins, I really like mine (over 50 dives later they are still great).

If you are not to far from Vancouver, you could visit a lds by the name of Divetank, this is where I've ordered mine, my wet suit, and also my computer(amazing price).

For Lotsa speed with minimal kick ( from knee down), I have a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins, small fast kicks with these turn you into a torpedo. I've heard of and had trouble with them manuevering and in a current, but that could just be my inexperience at diving. For overall precision, power and performance, I have Aqualung Blade IIs. It all depends on your environment and expected diving condition too. I've been using my Blades the most and they are getting a bit scraped up due to the rocky New England coast ( and my being a new diver :) ).
My splits were ~$165.00
My Blades were ~$125.00

I agree with Manta - for power, blade type fins are the way to go. I have used Aqualung Blades, but find the shorter and wider ScubaPro Jetfins even better.... Using a frog kick you give one kick, then gliiiiiiiiiide. Another kick and gliiiiiiiiiide. They are great for small maneuvering and even if I'm moving forward, a back kick or two is an effective way to apply the brakes. You can even use this kick and glide technique with a standard flutter kick, but it's not quite as efficient and is more likely to stir up the bottom, resulting in the ever abominable silt cloud :frown:

I used the slit Apollo Biofins for my first 100 or so dives and liked them. Once I switched to and learned how to use the Jets, I liked those even better for (As Uncle Pug says) their 'traction'. I found that I have more maneuverablity with a whole lot less effort, with the payoff of using a whole lot less breathing gas :D

I started out with Scubapro Twinjets, and although I have stopped using them for the most part, I don't think it was the wrong initial choice. They minimize leg effort, and I have never had a cramp with them. They generated enough power for anything I needed to do (remember that scuba is not a speed sport!) and I gained leg strength as I kept diving.

I bought Jets over the weekend, and when I first put them on, I thought the Mafia had tied concrete blocks to my feet to drown me :) They did make frog kicks, etc., possible, where they had not been before, but I think I'm glad I didn't start out with them.

Manta Aria:
For Lotsa speed with minimal kick ( from knee down), I have a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins, small fast kicks with these turn you into a torpedo. I've heard of and had trouble with them manuevering and in a current, but that could just be my inexperience at diving. For overall precision, power and performance, I have Aqualung Blade IIs. It all depends on your environment and expected diving condition too. I've been using my Blades the most and they are getting a bit scraped up due to the rocky New England coast ( and my being a new diver :) ).
My splits were ~$165.00
My Blades were ~$125.00

Atomic Aquatic Splitfins are the best fin for what you are looking for I too have a pair but for all around performance and quality I would also have to suggest the Scuba Pro Splitfin they are both very good long lasting fins...

Check out the Scubadiving.com reviews. Apollo bio-fins have basically been #1 in every catagory for years. I dive with them, and yes, they kick rear.

I also dive with Mares Quattros, which are one of the better rated paddle fins.... let me tell you, while I need to dive more with the Mares (my drysuit fins) so far the Bio-Fins KICK their tail in for EVERYTHING including backing, and frog kicks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom