Fins for use with a drysuit: Power Plana vs. Seawing Nova Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPSI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the process of shopping for a pair of fins to use with my drysuit. I am looking for relatively rigid fins that are either neutrally buoyant or negatively buoyant. I don't do technical diving. I would like a fin that works well for both frog and flutter kicking. I am not particularly concerned with moving quickly. I am concerned with high efficiency and plenty of power when needed. I will be using them with size 9 DUI Rock Boots, and would like a shape that is snug yet comfortable. I am particularly interested in feedback or comments from anyone who has used both Power Plana and Seawing Nova fins and could help compare them. Thanks in advance.

Except DiveRite fins are negative buoyant. They are more of a neutral fins

OP said neutral or negative. Dive rights are slightly negative, nearly neutral but with the "snap" that adds a little more push than some more rigid paddle find. A neutral fin means the weight is more centrally positioned, leading to greater stability and consistency in trim while kicking. If the OP really wants a negative fin, I have some F1s I'll give up for cheap. My post was meant to offer the OP the link with more info that should help weed through some of the claims that don't match up with actual performance. If efficiency is the goal, diverite is king. I'll admit that these, like most paddle find, are not for the weak in the foot/ankle/calf/knee IF you intend to flutter a lot. If you're strong, they can do the job. Like all paddles, they are better for frog.

If you really want BOTH frog and flutter, you might be better off with Avanti Quattros (not the new ones).

I am in the process of shopping for a pair of fins to use with my drysuit. I am looking for relatively rigid fins that are either neutrally buoyant or negatively buoyant. I don't do technical diving. I would like a fin that works well for both frog and flutter kicking. I am not particularly concerned with moving quickly. I am concerned with high efficiency and plenty of power when needed. I will be using them with size 9 DUI Rock Boots, and would like a shape that is snug yet comfortable. I am particularly interested in feedback or comments from anyone who has used both Power Plana and Seawing Nova fins and could help compare them. Thanks in advance.

I own the Power Planas and owned the Gorillas and Novas. I'd recommend the Power Planas over the Novas without a doubt. The Gorillas are neutral, not the best at frog kicking although much better than the Novas. The Seawings are line traps. The Seawings are a very comfortable fin. The Power Planas are also very comfortable, negative which I need in my DS. They are not as heavy as the F1s (I've also owned) and not quite as stiff but I can generate similar power out of the PPs with less effort. I found the F1s require some muscle power to flutter due to stiffness whereas the PP flutter with less effort. I predominantly frog kick so take my flutter kick comment with a grain of salt. They are my favourite fin currently and if the small size was small enough for me to wear wetsuit diving they'd likely be the last set of fins I own. Nah, who I am I kidding I have a fin addiction. I don't like Jets, the L size has a very small blade surface as compared to a small PP and I find the Jet foot pocket to be rather uncomfortable.

Dive Rite's if you're wearing a wetsuit. Since the OP said he's diving dry, I'd go for some old school Jet's or similar, OMS Slipstreams, XS Classics, Hog Tech II's. The Dive Rite's just aren't negative enough if your feet get floaty.

I'd like to try a pair of F1's but they're way too proud of them. $170 for a pair of rubber fins is a little much. At least they're not Force Fins....

I also own the DR XTs in small and medium. The small are quite short length wise as compared to the mediums, although this won't be an issue for OP. I prefer the PPs over the XTs for DS diving more due to weight than anything. But they are IMO a very nice fin. They are one of my favourite wet suit fins, I just wish the small was a little longer. They are certainly worth consideration.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

Dive Rite's if you're wearing a wetsuit. Since the OP said he's diving dry, I'd go for some old school Jet's or similar, OMS Slipstreams, XS Classics, Hog Tech II's. The Dive Rite's just aren't negative enough if your feet get floaty.

I'd like to try a pair of F1's but they're way too proud of them. $170 for a pair of rubber fins is a little much. At least they're not Force Fins....

I liked the F1s, a very powerful fin but unfortunately they were just too big, the foot pocket is very generous and my foot slopped around in them too much. But again, for the OP this is unlikely to be an issue. I'm not a big guy and did find they required more effort to use than the DRs or PPs.

I have found Power Planas to meet my needs very well. Plenty of power, though a little more flex than my Slipstreams. In fact they are the first fins I was able to get a decent back fin. I also like the rubber straps for don/doff.

OP said neutral or negative. Dive rights are slightly negative, nearly neutral but with the "snap" that adds a little more push than some more rigid paddle find. A neutral fin means the weight is more centrally positioned, leading to greater stability and consistency in trim while kicking. If the OP really wants a negative fin, I have some F1s I'll give up for cheap. My post was meant to offer the OP the link with more info that should help weed through some of the claims that don't match up with actual performance. If efficiency is the goal, diverite is king. I'll admit that these, like most paddle find, are not for the weak in the foot/ankle/calf/knee IF you intend to flutter a lot. If you're strong, they can do the job. Like all paddles, they are better for frog.

If you really want BOTH frog and flutter, you might be better off with Avanti Quattros (not the new ones).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...ions-ow-cave-crossover-fins-replacements.html

So you ended up keeping them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom