Fins for use with a drysuit: Power Plana vs. Seawing Nova Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, the foot pocket is comfortable, well I find it to be so anyway, the rubber centre strip contours somewhat to the top of your foot. I did find the pull tabs uncomfortable as they are hard plastic type material, DR if you're reading this any chance of changing them?, and promptly took them off both sets. On one set I replaced with Hollis pull tabs (DS diving with thick dry gloves) and the other set I used pieces of garden hose. You can't buy Hollis pull tabs separately but must buy spring set, IIRC around $36. I took mine off my F2s as I don't use them. You can buy Apollo pull tabs separately, over here they are about $6 each. Having said that if you don't need the actual pull tabs garden hose works perfectly. I got blue and white which kind of matches the fins with the added bonus of being more visible to those following me in low viz or at night. I can post pictures if anyone's interested.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 08:45 PM ----------

I'd personally give the nod to the PPs over the DRs but if you don't need heavy fins then the DRs are a very nice fin. I'm guessing you're a large so you'll get a nice long fun as opposed to my stumpy smalls.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 08:55 PM ----------

I used my medium DRs drysuit diving but have floaty feet and the PPs are more suited accordingly. I did notice yesterday when playing around that if I wear neo socks with my wetsuit boots the medium DRs seem to fit so will try them next time I'm out. The blade on the smalls is quite a bit shorter than the mediums.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 08:57 PM ----------

I just realized Scubaboard is my FaceBook, I don't do FB. In fact SB is my only foray into social media. I apologize for the irrelevant info.

Last edited:
My wife dive's the power planas both wet and dry and really likes them. I normally dive Hollis F1's and ScubaPro jets but I just ordered a set of the new XT's to try out. I am thinking they might be my warm/cold fins of future as well. I like my F1's but I got a new dry suit and the boots are smaller than my previous dry suit boots so that's when I got the ScubaPro jets. I got them off of Craigslist for $40 so I couldn't pass them up but they are a bit heavy for travel. I also know several people that have the DR XT's in both the current and previous version and swear by them.

Good luck with your choice and safe diving!

I had a similar issue with the F1s, I bought them based on the drysuit boot I was given to aid my new fin search. Bought the F1s based on the boot, when my new DS arrived it had a different smaller boot attached and the F1s were now too big. I was more than a little annoyed, another set of fins sold at a loss. I liked the F1s.

I'm bored, have a cold so can't dive so may as well "talk" about diving instead...As you can see the medium XTs are quite a bit bigger than the smalls, the Power Planas are small.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80
What happened to your pull tabs again? I just looked at a pair of XT's on Dive Gear Express' website and the spring straps have built pull tabs.

I cut mine off. Not for comfort, but because they would catch the line sometimes in small passages. Looking at the images above, my versions tabs may have been a bit more amenable to a seemless removal.

Well...I will be leaving mine on because I am not going to go into any caves. My instinct for self preservation prevents that. Call me chicken but I don't envy you guys that cave dive. Nope, not in the least. I do love to watch your really cool videos thought...:D

Well...I will be leaving mine on because I am not going to go into any caves. My instinct for self preservation prevents that. Call me chicken but I don't envy you guys that cave dive. Nope, not in the least. I do love to watch your really cool videos thought...:D

Totally agree, I love watching cave diving videos too, living vicariously through the dangerous exploits of others from the safety of my couch. Like that one when the guy (brave or stupid I'm not sure) had to take off "all" his gear including fins to climb through a hole just big enough for his body, freaked me out just watching. I don't have the mental fortitude to cave dive, I know my limits. Cave divers are a whole other bread. Respect.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

I cut mine off. Not for comfort, but because they would catch the line sometimes in small passages. Looking at the images above, my versions tabs may have been a bit more amenable to a seemless removal.

The pull tabs haven't changed in many years, mine too could be cut off but I found the heel part dug into my ankles.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 10:15 PM ----------

What happened to your pull tabs again? I just looked at a pair of XT's on Dive Gear Express' website and the spring straps have built pull tabs.

See post #21.

The pull tabs haven't changed in many years, mine too could be cut off but I found the heel part dug into my ankles.

Mine were definitely different than those in the pictures above.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the discussion. I am planning to get a pair the DR XTs and hopefully use them wet and dry. I too prefer a scubaboard discussion to facebook any day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom