Fins for use with a drysuit: Power Plana vs. Seawing Nova Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great responses. It is clear that there are many good fins to choose from and that a person typically would accumulate multiple different fins to optimize different diving scenarios. So I'll just have to choose one and continue testing and refining my kit. There's no substitute for personal trial and error. But luckily there are a limited number of fin names that seem to come up repeatedly in scubaboard posts. I'm leaning towards starting with a fin that is not too negative. Because at this point I don't feel that "floaty feet"is a big problem for me. I'm currently using scubapro jet sport fins with spring straps but am looking to upgrade. They are negative, but less so than a rubber fin I'm guessing. So maybe a pair of diverite XT or Avanti Quattro fins would be a good place to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great responses. It is clear that there are many good fins to choose from and that a person typically would accumulate multiple different fins to optimize different diving scenarios. So I'll just have to choose one and continue testing and refining my kit. There's no substitute for personal trial and error. But luckily there are a limited number of fin names that seem to come up repeatedly in scubaboard posts. I'm leaning towards starting with a fin that is not too negative. Because at this point I don't feel that "floaty feet"is a big problem for me. I'm currently using scubapro jet sport fins with spring straps but am looking to upgrade. They are negative, but less so than a rubber fin I'm guessing. So maybe a pair of diverite XT or Avanti Quattro fins would be a good place to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the Imelda Marcos of fins. FWIW I prefer the XTs to the Quattros, I find the Quattros, plus version anyway, have a tendency to twist when frog kicking or back kicking, it annoys me somewhat. I'm hard to please.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 10:30 PM ----------

The XTs now come in Ninja black. They have changesd the metal buckle to a skeleton version which I don't like from a purely aesthetic perspective.

The quattro+ are more floppy that the non-plus version. But, then again I recently witnessed a friend having a hard time learning to frog kick with the stiffer Quattros, also because of flopping/folding. So I guess I f you already have a decent frog kick, they're very good (and also good and not hard on your body when flutter kicking), while if you're just learning there may be a bit of a learning curve to get it just right. Frog kick in the DR fins is pretty easy on day one, but you'll want to take flutters slow at first so you don't hurt your feet. They're both well acclaimed as powerful fins and used in tech and sport settings because of this.

I'm the Imelda Marcos of fins. FWIW I prefer the XTs to the Quattros, I find the Quattros, plus version anyway, have a tendency to twist when frog kicking or back kicking, it annoys me somewhat. I'm hard to please.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 10:30 PM ----------

The XTs now come in Ninja black. They have changesd the metal buckle to a skeleton version which I don't like from a purely aesthetic perspective.

It is definitely great to hear you point out relevant differences between those two fins. I was hoping you would chime in on the conversation when I first posted, as it was apparent to me from reading your previous posts that you have owned or currently own most of my top contenders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome, looking around my house I think I must own most fins on the market lol...

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 12:34 AM ----------

I learned. :wink:

The small pair I wear wetsuit diving make my left foot go numb after around 70mins, very strange, I put on a longer spring (27.5cm) so they definitely are not too tight. Maybe I'm pregnant and suffering water retention in my left foot. I'll take a test.

I'm jealous of the new ninja black version. I don't like brand names or brand-distinguishing features on my gear, unless the gear was supplied by the company - no free advertising on me! The grey and black DR fins are really easy to spot, especially in FL caves. Maybe I'll get creative with some paint to break up the pattern. I also need to figure out how to hide the pinnacle-ness of my drysuit.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and order a pair of the black XTs. Looking at the design of the foot box, I'm hesitating a little wondering if the comfort level will be satisfactory. It doesn't look to be as contoured and form fitting as the Power Planas. It looks like they have some sort of insert in most of the marketing photos. What is that? Also I'm guessing the XTs would work for drysuit and wetsuit diving, while the Planas might be unnecessarily negative for a wetsuit. I can pick up the Planas up for about $24 less than the black XTs. I'm sort of stuck between those two options currently.

Oh no, They's super comfy. with thin booties in a drysuit and thick boots/socks in a drysuit they're always comfy. Once I even had to dive them barefoot....not recommended, but my feet were ok. the top of the pocket is soft rubber, allowing for flexion of the ankle without hurting your foot (even in people with very high arches, like myself). The inserts you've seen come with most fins, just to keep the pocket from being smashed during transport (pull them out before use).

if you're concerned at all about the price, Cave Adventurers usually has the best deals: Cave Adventurers - Fins - Mask, Fins and Snorkels - Essentials - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

call them though, for best deals, and to be sure they have the black ones if that's what you want.

Oh no, They's super comfy. with thin booties in a drysuit and thick boots/socks in a drysuit they're always comfy. Once I even had to dive them barefoot....not recommended, but my feet were ok. the top of the pocket is soft rubber, allowing for flexion of the ankle without hurting your foot (even in people with very high arches, like myself). The inserts you've seen come with most fins, just to keep the pocket from being smashed during transport (pull them out before use).

if you're concerned at all about the price, Cave Adventurers usually has the best deals: Cave Adventurers - Fins - Mask, Fins and Snorkels - Essentials - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

call them though, for best deals, and to be sure they have the black ones if that's what you want.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I was pretty sure the inserts were not part of the fin, but without actually laying hands on it couldn't be sure. It is good to hear that you find them to be so comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom