Fins For Current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried those. Not very comfortable on my foot. YMMV.

How do they compare as far as how quickly the inside dries out?

I don't know. I never got the Poseidon's wet.

Gotcha. I just wonder if the Poseidon internal construction is like a normal scuba bootie, or if it's like a regular CT. I would expect a scuba bootie to dry out faster than a regular (even neoprene outer) CT. But who knows.

How long do the metal eyelets on the neoprene CTs last when diving in salt water?

I've dived several fins over the last 20 years and landed on the Dive Rite XTs. I'm a strong swimmer, mostly frog kick. I've not been able to maximize the power of this fin due to my own shortcoming, though I have given it a good try. I find it very good for alternative kicks.

How long do the metal eyelets on the neoprene CTs last when diving in salt water?
I don't know. I'm at about 6 months, mostly salt water, no signs of rust. Maybe they are plastic?

I know you said open heel, so I'm just throwing this out there in case you haven't thought about it.

I went to Hawaii in April. I took my Atomic Blade fins (which are great!) and my Mako Competition Freediving fins.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

I used the Mako fins for shore dives (Ho'okena, which has a lot of rocks in the water as you're wading in), and boat dives. I never did use the Atomic fins.

The Mako fins work better for me than my Atomics or my Hollis F1 fins - and that is for every kind of kick including frog kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks.

And the Mako fins turned out to be surprisingly travel friendly - as long you take the foot pockets off from the blade portion. The blades are very thin and flat and easily pack in the bottom of any bag or suitcase (that is long enough, of course). Once the blade are removed, the foot pockets are a lot smaller than any complete fin and also pack easily. And the total weight of the fins is still pretty light.

Originally, I was concerned about how easy/hard they would be to put on. But, then I saw instructions for donning on the Mako site. It says to turn the heel of the fins inside out first. Then slide your foot all the way in, then just grab the tab on the heel and pull it over your heel. That really did the trick for me. Even on a shore dive, I would just wade out, carrying my fins. Get into waist-chest deep water or so, and slip each fin on and pull the heel cup over. It was no problem, even on a shore entry with 2 to 3 foot waves coming in. I've also done the same thing on a boat out of West Palm Beach, FL. Carry them and walk up to the boat's egress point. Put them on at the egress point and then giant stride in. No muss, no fuss.

If I'm diving warm water and not planning any kind of wreck penetration, my freediving fins are my absolute favorites!

Great to hear that our "freedive" fins are working so well for you on scuba. We are beginning to see more and more scuba divers order our fins.

Thanks for the positive comments; as some people may know, we ONLY sell direct to the consumer - no dive shops - so it is unlikely a diver will ever hear MAKO recommended at their local shop.

Dive Safe!
dano

Back
Top Bottom