Fins For Current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. It sounds like either the XTs or the Eddys would be suitable. The Eddys may be worth a try as they are on sale right now for $75 (half the price of the XTs).

If it makes a difference, I am a lightweight with stick legs, but they are strong as I run quite a bit.:)
The Eddy footpocket is pretty big. Buying a fin depends on your foot and the bootie you'll be wearing.

I'll add my support for XTs. I brought a set of Apex RX 3 with the intention of using them as my travel fin, but they just don't have the power of my XTs

For the record, I'm a 50 year old, not seen the inside of a gym for a while, but with my XT,s I can drag an Al 80 side sling I. Addition to my back gas, and myself through decent current and out pace a fit Indonesian 20 something dive guide

You could take my car, my wife - certainly the children, but if you try to take my XT's then you'll need to prise them from my cold dead hands...

Last edited:
I started with the original Aqualung Blades, and they worked ok in a current. Still do. They are on the light side for travel, and you can often find them on Ebay for 25 bucks. I used them until I got the prototypes for the Hollis F-1's in January of 2008 to test. Had them in Bonaire end of January and a week later under the ice in Indiana. They became my go to fin for everything. Until I got my first set of HOG fins I used those prototypes and the set of yellow tip prototypes for all situations. They are still my go to for diving in any kind of strong(er) current. They are heavy and not as good for travel as the HOG's but they give me the same amount of control as the shorter fin in OW situations.
Other fins I have tried for diving in current and for one reason or another did not care for them over the F1's:
Aeris Excel
ScubaPro Jets
Aqualung Rockets and Rocket 2's
Dive Rite XT's
Atomic Splits
Apollo Bio Fins
ScubaPro Twin Jets

The F1s would have been a favourite of mine DS diving but the foot pocket was just too big. The Mares Power Planas are my favourite DS fin, suitably heavy but more importantly come in small and fit very well. If I was only allowed 2 pairs for the rest of my life it would be the DR XTs for wetsuit and the Mares Power Planas for dry, they are very nice fins. If I didn't need the weight DS diving I'd settle on the XTs for both, just wish they'd hurry up and release them in white.I've owned a lot of fins.

I am looking for recommendations for an open heel, warm water travel fin that would work well in current.

The fins I use right now in warm water are some old beat up plastic Scubapro fins. I have no idea what model they are. The fins I use in cold water are the DGX Classic fins. There is a HUGE difference in the amount of power that the DGX fins will generate.

On a recent trip to Cozumel, when trying to swim back a few feet against a mild current to look at something the DM pointed out, I found it very tough going. My finning skills are far from perfect, but there is a distinct lack of power from my old
Scubapros.

The Deep 6 Eddy fins have got my attention since they look like a travel friendly version of the DGX fins. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I'll just point out that the right fins for current is relative. As you mentioned finning technique can win you a lot.

When I was younger I played trumpet in a jazz band and one of the other guys in the band complained a lot about having a bad quality instrument...... until we played at a jazz festival and a well know trumpeter joined us for a practice session and asked if he could borrow someone's trumpet. All 3 of us offered up our instruments but he chose the "low quality" one and blew that baby like he had made a personal connection to the thing. Needless to say, the owner of said instrument realized (perhaps for the first time) that it wasn't the horn that was the problem he was having..... but that's another story

It's like that in diving too. I hear a lot of threads about how you need this or that kind of gear to dive well. I'd like to point out that this isn't true. I've often said on this board that I could look absolutely sorted using old milk jugs for a BCD and I think that's true. Fins are actually less forgiving than BCD's but even relatively crappy fins will do ok in current if you don't dive in too heavy of a current *for the fins you have*. If you work on your technique then you will gain ground regardless of any changes you make and if you don't work on technique then you may find that new fins disappoint you because you are expecting to solve a skills problem by buying gear.

But ok. That's not the question you asked so aside from that wisdom you're looking for product advice. Personally I think that Mares makes some really good fins. I picked up a pair of Avanti Quattro full foot fins online that I use in the pool while I'm giving lessons. I was quite surprised how much more thrust they gave than my old fins. I also find it relatively straightforward to swim backwards in them, which I find to be beneficial when I'm giving lessons but may not be a consideration for most people.

Aside from that I don't have a lot of experience with different fins so I know the Mares fins are good but I'm sure there are other fins on the market that will also make you happy.

good luck.

R..

If I didn't need the weight DS diving I'd settle on the XTs for both, just wish they'd hurry up and release them in white.I've owned a lot of fins.

I think I am going to go with the XTs. I just found out they are going to be available in red, probably later this month.

For coolness and admiring comments from others, the orange Eddys win hands down, especially when worn with my Chuck Taylor Converse neoprene-upper All Stars with bright orange laces.

I will need some Chuck Taylors with red laces.:)

Cool, like I say I've tried a lot of fins but finally settled on the XTs. They are a great all round fine, great for all kicks although a little hard fluttering as they are quite stiff.

I am looking for recommendations for an open heel, warm water travel fin that would work well in current.!

I know you said open heel, so I'm just throwing this out there in case you haven't thought about it.

I went to Hawaii in April. I took my Atomic Blade fins (which are great!) and my Mako Competition Freediving fins.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

I used the Mako fins for shore dives (Ho'okena, which has a lot of rocks in the water as you're wading in), and boat dives. I never did use the Atomic fins.

The Mako fins work better for me than my Atomics or my Hollis F1 fins - and that is for every kind of kick including frog kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks.

And the Mako fins turned out to be surprisingly travel friendly - as long you take the foot pockets off from the blade portion. The blades are very thin and flat and easily pack in the bottom of any bag or suitcase (that is long enough, of course). Once the blade are removed, the foot pockets are a lot smaller than any complete fin and also pack easily. And the total weight of the fins is still pretty light.

Originally, I was concerned about how easy/hard they would be to put on. But, then I saw instructions for donning on the Mako site. It says to turn the heel of the fins inside out first. Then slide your foot all the way in, then just grab the tab on the heel and pull it over your heel. That really did the trick for me. Even on a shore dive, I would just wade out, carrying my fins. Get into waist-chest deep water or so, and slip each fin on and pull the heel cup over. It was no problem, even on a shore entry with 2 to 3 foot waves coming in. I've also done the same thing on a boat out of West Palm Beach, FL. Carry them and walk up to the boat's egress point. Put them on at the egress point and then giant stride in. No muss, no fuss.

If I'm diving warm water and not planning any kind of wreck penetration, my freediving fins are my absolute favorites!

I am looking for recommendations for an open heel, warm water travel fin that would work well in current.

ScubaPro's Sea Wing Nova fin works well in currents, including mountain streams.

I'll just point out that the right fins for current is relative. As you mentioned finning technique can win you a lot.

I agree with this statement. I prefer Jet Fins regardless where I am diving. With that being stated I do like the Seawing Nova's in mountains rivers with swift currents. While the Jet fin works well, the Nova's don't tire my leg as much while swimming up river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom