Fins for Cavern and possibly beyond?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The blades are the biggest difference in size. The boot size does make a big difference.
This is why, whenever I get a drysuit custom cut, it will have turbosoles. Don't want to use anything but my XL Jets. :wink: The attached boots on a 905 for the "11-12" size boot (if I remember correctly) fit nicely in my XL Jets.

mempilot:
There is a big difference between a size 8 foot and a size 12 foot. I wouldn't expect you to be able to get into a Medium. I'm only 5'8" tall. I'm guessing you are about 6'2" or taller??
I managed to get the medium about 1/3 the way up my foot, with the strap at the very limit. :wink:

I'm actually ~5'9"...I just have big feet. :11:

Another option would be the aqua lung rockets. They are also lighter than the jets. It has worked well for me to dive the rocket when diving wet and the super rocket when diving dry.

Or OMS Slipstreams, or Turtles, or Rockets, or Jets... They are all pretty much the same with some small difference in the density of the rubber used. All good fins. I guess the patent ran out or SP sold the mold many years back. :)

hee hee! charles is a hobbit! the pointy ears were the giveaway...

to the force fin guy - you can back kick in them? i've heard that as a limitation.

Holy schnikes! What the hell are you? A hobbit?

Well, I do have hairy feet...:eyebrow:

I tried turtles awhile ago but hated them. THey don't quite have the 'snap' that Jets provide while kicking.

I dive an Otter/Zeagle, made in the UK but distributed from FL for the US market. I'll be replacing it soon with either a DR 905, a Viking/Trelleborg X-Treme, or I'm checking out a Pinnacle as well.

I just met up with my cavern instructor yesterday. He seems like a really cool guy and was really sold on the Pinnacle dry suits. He said he did not like the 905 because the molded seams appear to leak more than the stitched. He also knows several people in the industry as to be expected, and seems to think far less repairs come in on the crushed neophrene Pinnacles than other suits. He was also not thrilled with all the pinhole leaks he has experienced in his DUI 350. I am having a hard time finding people opinions and reviews on the Pinnacles, plenty on the 905 though.

Or OMS Slipstreams, or Turtles, or Rockets, or Jets... They are all pretty much the same with some small difference in the density of the rubber used. All good fins. I guess the patent ran out or SP sold the mold many years back. :)

Actually, didn't the original mold belong to Beuchat and SP was just the US dealer?

to the force fin guy - you can back kick in them? i've heard that as a limitation.

you can back kick in them quite effectively, it feels a bit different, but then again, all fins feel different.
The limitation of the Pros is not backing, its true frog kicking that they don't do so well with, however they will do a modified frog kick nicely.

if you only want one pair of fins to use with a drysuit and then a wetsuit there is no other fin that can beat the Force Models with comfort insteps
Comfort Instep: Force Fin
. For real closed enviroments again Force Fin should be your choice just on size of the blade - ie turning around etc.

Back
Top Bottom