Fins for Cavern and possibly beyond?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scblade27

Contributor
Reaction score
I have Avanti Quattro fins right now. I have been diving with them for a year, they have worked great and really held up well. My fiancee and I will be signing up for a cavern class soon and although my fins would suffice for the class I am taking, I was wondering if it would be benificial to pick up some jets.

My question about the jets is this. As I dont have a lot of extra money, if I end up going past cavern into intro or full cave, I will defiantly be acquiring some new equipment. I would prefer to buy equipment that will work with my current setup, as well as future setups. Can the jets be worn with wetsuit dive boots as well as drysuit boots? If so I assume I would need to get a fairly large size (i wear an 11 shoe). Would getting a large size for a drysuit in the future make it uncomfortable for a wetsuit now?

The reason I am even considering different fins is because it is difficult for me to do some of the kicking styles required for close quarters/silty areas.

My only other issue with the jets is that from what i have read they are pretty heavy, which is good for diving dry. The problem I have now however is i already have heavy legs with my current setup and have to slide my steel tank pretty far up to get proper trim. I assume if I got the heavier fins it would amplify this problem. Again, if i decided to go on i would swap to a bp/w which would probably help, right now i have a rear inflation bc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I do a fair bit of wreck diving and find Force Fins Pros work well. Can kick any style I want...mostly frog kick with minimal silt up. They are fairly short so turning in a tight space is a lot easier, less chance of damaging sea life. Also really lightweight. Cant speak for cave diving...but can't imagine there is much difference.

Good luck

most people need different sizes for booties and rock boots. and if you get further than cavern, believe me that two sets of jets will be the least of your expenses, even if you buy them new!

so my thoughts would be check here & thedecostop.com for folks getting out of diving as well as ebay for some used ones. you'll likely need size xl wet (but you can check kidspot's website for sizing). try moving some of your weight to your tank valve with ankle weights, but when you're frog kicking with bent knees, you're not usually as 'foot heavy' as when your legs are straight. then if cave isn't for you, you can re-bay them if you like!

i don't know about buying force fins used, but new they are hella expensive. used jets can be had in the $30-40 range.

SP Jets in foot sizes appropriate for wetsuits actually have a much shorter blade than the ones with larger foot pockets for dryboots.

You will not notice the weight underwater, but they are slightly negative. I use Mediums with my wetsuit, and X-Larges for my drysuit. The blades are significantly different in size. There is typically not one size of Jet that will fit you for both wet and dry.

They are awesome fins, and allow for maximum control in currents, flows, high drag situations. They are, IMHO, the best fins for sculling, frog kicking, and rotating on your vertical axis while in a confined space.

They are not the best fin for flutter kicking in a speed race, but that is not what they were designed for. Think torque vs speed gearing.

Here is a comparison of Jet fin length from dry to wet suit. In pic one, I am dry with XL Jets. In pic two, I am holding my Med Jets for wet.

Attachments

• SCRUB DIVE 113007 (46).jpg
    SCRUB DIVE 113007 (46).jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 1453326988_21bdb1ef5d_b.jpg
    1453326988_21bdb1ef5d_b.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 93
Are the rock boots pretty typical for the dry suits? It seems like a few people I know just had a sock style bottom to theirs. I assume the rock boots are more comfortable out of the water?

I also know that getting cave equipment is crazy expensive. I'm just looking to see if there is a good order to purchase stuff so i dont end up buying twice. Thanks for all the advice.

DUI Rock Boots fit over drysuit socks. They are canvas and protect the suit socks while out of the water. They also provide a more rigid sole for interfacing with the fin. Several companies make versions that have more or less features. You can't go wrong with this type of setup.

I have built in boots on my Otter/Zeagle suit. I think they are warmer than Rock Boots for me since I can put more insulation inside them. That is subjective though.

The other suit I use, pictured above, has socks. I just slide a large pair of wet boots over them. This works well also, but is probably not as durable as the Rock Boots.

You can find the Jets on eBay and they seem to hold their value at about 50% of new. If you can find a set with spring straps, go for it. If you don't get spring straps and want a cheap, just as good solution, look at mine. The parts from McMaster-Carr were about $12. They work great and have lasted many years. This beats $75 and up for nicely manufactured spring straps.

I have heard the SP jets described "like a good woman"...very easy to handle, and always get what you expect... no surprises...and did I mention inexpensive...that would be a good woman.

Yeah, Force Fins Pros can be a bit pricey 250 new...but they are like an expensive woman...a hell of a good time :wink:

I did pick up a pair on Ebay for $100 Canadian pesos. I am looking at the adjustables so I only need one pair for my dry and wet diving.

Try em before you buy em...some people don't like them because you cant feel the torque, you just move. But those that like em...like em alot.

Sometimes I wish there wasn't so many options int his sport, but then we wouldn't be able to tell our buddy's apart.

Great thanks. Thats the problem I am running into, too many options. It seems like DUI makes the top quality dry suits. I am a believer in buying right the first time instead of buying twice. Hopefully as we get into the cavern stuff I can find people to let me try out their different gear. It seems no matter how much you read, there are still just tons of options.

Back
Top Bottom