Fins and manoeuvrability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will be very happy with the Mako's. For most divers that try my DiveR's, and like them, they are going to decide on something like Mako or Cressi, because they are great fins, and the pricing is excellent.
DiveR's are going after the Lamborghini market of freedivers. In car speak....better than a Corvette or Mustang in mountains or curvy roads....but unless you have a very special "mission" with this car, few are going to decide the Lambo is worth the extra dough.....Some will...and it's cool when you see them :)
Same for Mako versus DiveR, in all probability.... But the Slipsream and the Jetfins, they are NOT like Corvettes or Shelby Mustangs..the Slips and the Jets are more like the 3 wheeled 2 cycle motorcycle trucks some workers drive around inn Itally...
View attachment 217393
Kind of slow and low tech, but they can turn on a dime, and maneuver in much smaller areas than can be done with the super cars :)
Kind of cool to have one, if you have a place to keep it :) Just like with my Jetfins :)

The Cressi ARA EBS is the 2015 improvement to the Master Frog's. If this is a high end quality fin (Never tried one) it comes with a price tag of about $160 which seems very reasonable. As far as the freediving/spearfishing fins, its not so easy to say that the DiveR is the Lambo and the Mako and Cressi's are the Mustangs and Vette's. In reality the differences between these autos are easily measured. Things like acceleration, top speed, horsepower, and cornering is all made up of hard data that is easily seen on paper and translates well in the physical realm. A carbon fiber mako or cressi vs a carbon fiber DiveR has basically the same components, fin shape, foot pockets, and are all traditional looking freediving/spearo fins. Much of the difference between them will be perceptions from the wearer and not statistical data.

The Cressi ARA EBS is the 2015 improvement to the Master Frog's. If this is a high end quality fin (Never tried one) it comes with a price tag of about $160 which seems very reasonable. As far as the freediving/spearfishing fins, its not so easy to say that the DiveR is the Lambo and the Mako and Cressi's are the Mustangs and Vette's. In reality the differences between these autos are easily measured. Things like acceleration, top speed, horsepower, and cornering is all made up of hard data that is easily seen on paper and translates well in the physical realm. A carbon fiber mako or cressi vs a carbon fiber DiveR has basically the same components, fin shape, foot pockets, and are all traditional looking freediving/spearo fins. Much of the difference between them will be perceptions from the wearer and not statistical data.

I'm not sure I (or you) have enough hands on experience to come to those (bolded) conclusions... but if you are moving into the more expensive freedive fins - you have more options. These options may provide considerable value to a freediver who kicks for 5 hours per day (and maybe not so much for a typical scuba diver).

One issue is foot comfort. If you feet are getting beat up, abraded, sore, cramped etc. (from the footpocket) then it really doesn't matter much at all if the blade is great. So one important issue is footpocket fit/comfort.

Another issue, pertains to the footpocket and the associated fin rails and their stiffness. There can be considerable difference in the stiffness of various brands of footpockets. For example, a stiff blade in a very soft pocket, may feel much softer than when a stiffer pocket is used.

So the idea that things are all the "same" and it is only perception which distinguishes them is not true.

Another issue with footpockets and fin blades is the angle of the blade. Most all blades are bent, some have a more radical angle than others. I personally don't seem to be able to feel a big difference, but other people seem to have strong opinions about the optimum blade angle. If you do a lot of surface swimming, then a sharper angle should place the blade lower in the water and make it better for surface kicking.

Another VERY important distinguishing feature (which Dan) already mentioned, is the fin stiffness. If you are looking for optimum performance, it is almost certainly MORE important to get the right blade stiffness rather than which BRAND of blade you select. Most freedivers who weigh less than around 200 lbs are recommended to select a "soft" fiberglass or CF blade. If you are buying an inexpensive freedive fin with a plastic blade you don't have an option - most of those fins are going to fall into the medium range (this is a big generalization).

If I am snorkeling in 20 -40 ft depths in the Bahamas (all day)and i am literally swimming and drifting for miles, I am going to be happier with a softer blade. If I am diving in cold water, with a thick suit that compresses and looses a lot of buoyancy and I am coming off the bottom being 12 lbs (or more lbs negative) - you can be pretty sure I will NOT want to have some soft blades "noodling" on me as I try to get off the bottom.

Also, to further confuse the issue, some divers will mix and match footpockets from one brand with the pockets of another brand

For scuba, I suspect that a medium stiffness blade might be popular with people who are somewhat less than 200 lbs, because they probably are not kicking as long as a freediver. Again a scuba diver might swim for 2- 3 45-minute dives. A freediver might swim, more or less all day.

There are lots of other issues with freedive fins.. I am sure.. but those are just a few characteristics that freedivers might argue or worry about. These are not simply perception issues. And of course, things like comfort ARE hard to quantify with hard data. Even if you buy the "best" most expensive carbon fiber freedive fin, you may be making a compromise and trying to select the best fins for your particular size, strength, kick style, dive depths etc. etc...

that post hits the nail on the head with where i'm coming from... there are so many different things to consider as a freediver that you just don't need to consider as a scuba diver as far as fins go. Those seemingly little improvements can make a huge difference for a freediver going hours in the water, meanwhile we scuba dive maybe 1 hour at a time (non technical)... and that's where the diminishing returns come in in terms of cost for fins

Freediving fins have nowhere near the diversity of selection that scuba fins do, so I think perception is a large component of it. They are all specialized fins designed to do one thing: move "mostly" in a straight line through the water for extended periods utilizing maximum efficiency. Scuba fins have to be the jack of all trades or at least most of them to be effective. Speed, power, control, and other factors need to be considered when choosing a scuba fin. I dont think a spearo needs to be concerned with doing a helicopter or a back kick. Blade stiffness and footpocket selection on fins that are very closely identical seems like more of a variable of the same technology or personal preference rather than substantial change. Just as you said, even if you buy the "best" most expensive carbon fiber freedive fin you may be making a compromise. So in essence it isn't really the best, just the most expensive. The best is going to be the fin that is properly tailored to the individual. One of my friends who I just went to Bonaire with dove with freediving fins. He covered more reef than anyone on the boat but probably "saw" the least out of all of us.

You don't decide to drive or buy a Gallardo from paper test results. It is the raw experiential differences in driving this car, that drives a decision like this...along with an awful lot of money :)

I have never seen testing for fins that was not absurd, as they attempted to make measurements in a system where they were most likely missing 80 percent of the most important measurements, and did not even know what they were.

If you looked at the test a few posts back, you will see that with all the attempts to appear scientific, they failed to deal with the reality that in this small group of testers, the likelihood was that few if any had any idea of what the best kick shape was for each fin--meaning they would attempt to use the same defective kick shape for each fin....For some fins, the defective shape would be less problematic, and sometimes this would effect some better testing results. The test also fails to consider the power and aerobic potential of each tester, as this relates to how effectively the "gearing" of each fin will be, to utilize the potential leverage each fin is capable of. If I remember correctly, these testers were mostly between 30 and 100 dives in their lifetimes....that makes them rank novices. It would be like going to a ski slope like Vail, and pulling 10 guys off a bunny slope ( or even intermediate slope) to test 10 racing skis. They don't have any shot at being able to properly represent what is good or bad about a racing ski..or in this case, a fin. At least not in something that is supposed to pass for a scientific study.
We are not talking about "racing fins", but we are talking about fins that react very differently to different user inputs...different coordinations and power potentials make completely different fin responses.....Some divers will find a fin is well tuned to their own natural kick, before they even attempt to figure out what the proper kick shape for the fin is....others will find some fins geared to high for them, others to low. The individual needs to be paired to the right fin, and no one fin is going to be best for everyone. Certainly not DiveR's, and not Force Fins either.
But you can't waste time with tests that were never decent tests to begin with.

Someone is going to say that my demo idea has the same flaw as testing.....
But there are a few key differences. If this was a ski slope, I'd be trying to get skiers from the green slopes, the blues, the blacks, and the double diamonds. I would be going for hundreds or thousands, and each person trying the fin, would be making their own determination, from their own experience---not some failed attempt of measurement by a group that would not know a good fin from a bad fin, it they were wearing the fins themselves.

Why should I have an opinion worth noting?
In my case, I have many more adventure dives behind me than most, and you have to know that I have been trying to figure out performance differences in fins since the early 80's. I test every fin I can, to see what kick shapes work best with it, and because of my cycling, I have far more power than any fins are designed for, so I never run into a fin that is too big a gear for me.... (In other words, someone with great coordination and the same ability I have to discover optimal kick shape for a fin, but that is not a cyclist, and therefore can not generate enough power to efficiently handle a stiff bladed DiveR...is going to say the fin moves through the water like a two by four, and they may not be able to make it do much of anything...and of this of course, is why there are close to 8 levels of stiffness you could go with in DiveR's...but the test protocols of the pseudo-scientific testers, would never try to match the right stiffness blade, to the tester, for a given make and model).
I am always trying to get divers on charter boats to try extra fins I have brought along, and I have seen first hand what the results are.

Also know that for many divers, I do NOT want them to go with freedive fins, because I can see that the way they kick, is highly unlikely to work at all for a freedive fin....and they don't appear motivated to completely relearn their fin kicks. The demos would let divers try all the major fins with merits, and even some of the horrific ones :)
Divers need to feel the differences for themselves.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 09:03 PM ----------

Freediving fins have nowhere near the diversity of selection that scuba fins do, so I think perception is a large component of it. They are all specialized fins designed to do one thing: move "mostly" in a straight line through the water for extended periods utilizing maximum efficiency. Scuba fins have to be the jack of all trades or at least most of them to be effective. Speed, power, control, and other factors need to be considered when choosing a scuba fin. I dont think a spearo needs to be concerned with doing a helicopter or a back kick. Blade stiffness and footpocket selection on fins that are very closely identical seems like more of a variable of the same technology or personal preference rather than substantial change. Just as you said, even if you buy the "best" most expensive carbon fiber freedive fin you may be making a compromise. So in essence it isn't really the best, just the most expensive. The best is going to be the fin that is properly tailored to the individual. One of my friends who I just went to Bonaire with dove with freediving fins. He covered more reef than anyone on the boat but probably "saw" the least out of all of us.

You can mis-use any fin, including a good freedive fin.
But good freedive fins are very precise for turning, for helicopter turns, for frog kicks, modified flutters, and unlike most scuba fins, great at dolphin kicks also.
My DiveR's will reverse kick just fine in a video or photography setting. They would not be the fins I would choose to swim 50 feet into a 4 foot in diameter pipe 100 feet long, and then decide to reverse kick out of....that would be jets or excellerating force fins....but getting yourself into places like this narrow pipe, is not what I consider fun diving.

Gkrane, why are you making pronouncements about the freediving fins, prior to your getting 20 or 30 hours on some good ones, and having the chance to develop some real expertise from your experiences?

You need to do some demos....I see you don't want to waste the money to fly to Florida for demoing fins....but the thing is, we have some pretty awesome diving also, and this is equally about getting very cool diving experiences.

I think a lot of people decide to drive a Gallardo because of paper test results. If it was published that the vehicle did 0-60 in 25 seconds the allure of driving a Gallardo would diminish significantly. Secondly, although someone may purchase a Gallardo the chances of them actually being able to drive it the way it was designed to be driven will be few and far between. Unless of course you have a private race track, which I suppose you might if you can afford a Gallardo. There is no speed limit underwater so if DiveR's are "X" amount faster and more efficient than Mako's you would be able to enjoy this on each and every dive, which may or may not justify the cost provided the data or marketing is true. I have never seen anyone surpass their athletic ability, jump higher and dunk just because they had on Jordan's.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

Gkrane, why are you making pronouncements about the freediving fins, prior to your getting 20 or 30 hours on some good ones, and having the chance to develop some real expertise from your experiences?

You need to do some demos....I see you don't want to waste the money to fly to Florida for demoing fins....but the thing is, we have some pretty awesome diving also, and this is equally about getting very cool diving experiences.

LOL, I wouldn't call it a pronouncement, more of a train of thought. Or "Giving it the old college try" if you prefer. I would love to demo some fins, and I know FL has great diving but trying to justify a trip to the family to test drive fins and dive without them would be futile. To include them would cause me to have to reschedule a big upcoming dive trip as time off is valuable and hard to come by. This thread really has me wanting to try:

1) A quality (Not expensive) pair of freediving fins for a good amount of time. Especially spearing. I think they look angelic in the water motion wise.
2) the Cressi ANA EBA Stiff Fins
3)Dan V's Suex

I think a lot of people decide to drive a Gallardo because of paper test results. If it was published that the vehicle did 0-60 in 25 seconds the allure of driving a Gallardo would diminish significantly. Secondly, although someone may purchase a Gallardo the chances of them actually being able to drive it the way it was designed to be driven will be few and far between. Unless of course you have a private race track, which I suppose you might if you can afford a Gallardo. There is no speed limit underwater so if DiveR's are "X" amount faster and more efficient than Mako's you would be able to enjoy this on each and every dive, which may or may not justify the cost provided the data or marketing is true. I have never seen anyone surpass their athletic ability, jump higher and dunk just because they had on Jordan's.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

LOL, I wouldn't call it a pronouncement, more of a train of thought. Or "Giving it the old college try" if you prefer. I would love to demo some fins, and I know FL has great diving but trying to justify a trip to the family to test drive fins and dive without them would be futile. To include them would cause me to have to reschedule a big upcoming dive trip as time off is valuable and hard to come by. This thread really has me wanting to try:

1) A quality (Not expensive) pair of freediving fins for a good amount of time. Especially spearing. I think they look angelic in the water motion wise.
2) the Cressi ANA EBA Stiff Fins
3)Dan V's Suex

Well, if you do find a way to make it to Florida, you can try Makos, DiveR's, and many others.....including the Cressis....as far as the scooter, I have a Gavin, Matt Cain has the Suex :)

Please pardon a one post hijack, but:

Looking for suggestions/advice as to what ~18# wing pairs well with a wetsuit, Freedom Plate, and Mako's fixed-blade freedive fins?
The slimmest least bloated one I know of is the Oxycheq Mach V 18 lb.
It's long and very narrow.
Next, I've seen pics of the newer Apeks single tank wing and it also looks to be very narrow, almost like the Oxy. It kind of makes me wonder if it's a rebranded Oxy Mach V..?

The slimmest least bloated one I know of is the Oxycheq Mach V 18 lb.
It's long and very narrow.
Next, I've seen pics of the newer Apeks single tank wing and it also looks to be very narrow, almost like the Oxy. It kind of makes me wonder if it's a rebranded Oxy Mach V..?
I am still toying around with ideas on the slick set up for uw video....what I plan on trying, is mounting the camera to the scuba tank, and "pushing" it ahead of the diver --positionally much like a scooter....with no bp or wing, the diver would be slick with just a slick wetsuit on.

Biggest problems for me are how to use my Canon 5 d mark II in aquatica housing---this thing is huge and not hydrodynamic. The slickest way would be to have it mounted directly in front of the scuba tank, but then there would be no chance of seeing the framing or focus of shots....maybe, if i shelled out for an optional extenal video screen that could point upwards ....
A go pro could be easily mounted on the tank in full hydrodynamic blissfulness, but this is going to do only fractional video quality compared to the Canon.

Pushing the tank in superman position, you are extremely aero, and good freediving fins should allow a massive increase to efficient long range travel on a single 80 al tank--or steel 72. This would be poor with a steel 100 or 120, due to negative charicteristics of the tank, and the objective of being able to avoid having to counter ballance the weight of the tank with a stinking bc/wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom