Finger spool with dry gloves. lost dexterity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The day I finished Fundies, I hooked my spool up to my SMB, and it hasn't come off since :) There is no reason not to carry a pre-rigged bag and spool, unless you think for some weird reason you might need the spool for something else, in which case you can carry two. (We carry more than that on cave dives!)

Did the same thing

I'd like to share a somewhat different idea. I carry a ten foot SMB in a Dive Rite lift bag sleeve slung under the backplate of my BC, like a fanny pack. This keeps it tucked away but easily accessible. No room in the bag for the thumb reel, but it has several spots for hooking on a reel. I keep the reel on a brass trailer coupler safety lock pin - Trailer Coupler Safety Lock Pin - 5/16" Husky Hitch Accessories 80235 - easy to use regardless of what gloves I'm wearing.

Practice.... After while you'll no longer feel like the dry gloves hinder you....

Had another opportunity to practice today with my spool and dry gloves and it worked much better. I just pinched it lightly between thumb and index finger and was able to control it while it unfurled. I guess in the end it is just a matter of practice.
I do think however that my dry gloves are too big for my hands. I have a bit of a gap between the tip of my fingers and the tip of the glove. I guess the next step would be to go to the shop and try to find a better fit.

Had another opportunity to practice today with my spool and dry gloves and it worked much better. I just pinched it lightly between thumb and index finger and was able to control it while it unfurled. I guess in the end it is just a matter of practice.
I do think however that my dry gloves are too big for my hands. I have a bit of a gap between the tip of my fingers and the tip of the glove. I guess the next step would be to go to the shop and try to find a better fit.

Practice good. What gloves are you using now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom