Finger spool with dry gloves. lost dexterity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just started diving with a drysuit and dry gloves. After a few dives just getting used to diving dry and figuring out my undergarment needs and buoyancy I tried some basic drills today. I found that the dry gloves, which I love for their fantastic thermal protection, made everything extremely difficult.
I tried deploying the SMB from 10 meters (33 feet). First problem was that I couldn't open the duck bill bottom of the smb. The bottom just stuck together and it took me several minutes of patiently trying to finally get the thing open so that I can put some air inside. Once this challenge was overcome, I realized that my gloved finger did not fit inside my finger spool... I tried to hold it while filling it up but had to let it go as I couldn't keep it unspooling while holding it. Luckily there was no current and very light wind so the spool just came rolling back into my hand.
Do any of you dry glove users use a finger spool? Are my gloves just too big? or spool too small? Is there any technique to make this work properly?
Any other tips to keep dexterity with dry gloves?

Thanks!

It might not be ideal, but you could get a 2 nuts, 2 washers big enough for the hole in the spool. Some red locktite, and a bolt and make a small handle to hold on to. Wouldn't add much weight, and you could hold it on one side.

It's just practice, I found. Welcome to dry gloves.

I don't put my finger in the spool, rather I hold my hand like an open claw around the spool so it can rotate without catching on the vinyl of the gloves.

you are not supposed to put your finger in the hole... what if something ( boat) snagged it and your finger was in it... bye bye finger

Mimic this. Instead of pumping your SMB full, fill it enough so expansion makes it full on the surface.
Hold your spool and bottom of your SMB in one hand, fill with the other using your reg (I assume). Then hold the spool in one hand, SMB in the other, clear your line and release.

You can also fill the SMB with your exhaust bubbles, but I personally never like to keep my head and regs that close where it can snag.
Also never stick your finger through the spool hole. Fine way to break your finger should the line snag, or if the SMB get's dragged horizontally.

[video=youtube;mfcEcCoIvKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcEcCoIvKs[/video]

I just gently hold the spool between my thumb and index finger, with light pressure on the hole but without putting my fingers in it. The spool will rotate freely and you won't lose it. If there is no current and no significant wind, you can let a Delrin spool go altogether -- it will go up a few feet, and then when the bag reaches the surface, it will fall right back to you.

You can do everything with dry gloves that you could with wet; it just takes practice, and the other thing that is important is to have the right SIZE dry gloves. If the glove fingers are too long and you have empty glove at the ends of them, you will be horribly clumsy.

Definitely some good ideas here. I need to practice some more. I might try a bolt with a flat head cap nut just so I don't subject the vinyl gloves to all that friction of a spinning spool.

Also, in regards to dexterity issues, putting a bead in the loop holds the line in a manner that makes rigging easier.

Please excuse the hijack, but as I think about this more and more, why not keep the spool and SMB rigged at all times? Spools are so inexpensive and small to stow, if you really wanted a line for "just in case...", a un-rigged jump spool, or even a 100' spare on you seems plausible.

Thoughts or experiences?

p.s. - the "cold water spools" like the DSS (yes, I know stainless seem costly) are just a joy with the over sized center hole.

Also, in regards to dexterity issues, putting a bead in the loop holds the line in a manner that makes rigging easier.

Please excuse the hijack, but as I think about this more and more, why not keep the spool and SMB rigged at all times? Spools are so inexpensive and small to stow, if you really wanted a line for "just in case...", a un-rigged jump spool, or even a 100' spare on you seems plausible.

Thoughts or experiences?

p.s. - the "cold water spools" like the DSS (yes, I know stainless seem costly) are just a joy with the over sized center hole.

It's another thing to deal with. I used to keep 2 knives on me, one for self defence, and another that's more public friendly to pull out. Then there was a swiss army knife for little utility tasks, a flashlight, wallet etc etc.

I ended up dumping one of the knives because I couldn't bother carrying two all the time. It was easy enough, it's just why carry two when one can do the job of both?

The day I finished Fundies, I hooked my spool up to my SMB, and it hasn't come off since :) There is no reason not to carry a pre-rigged bag and spool, unless you think for some weird reason you might need the spool for something else, in which case you can carry two. (We carry more than that on cave dives!)

Back
Top Bottom