Fine Dining on Maui ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver:
Ditto, on Mama's. If I only had one place that I could eat on Maui and maybe all of the Islands it would be Mama's. Call early for reservations the place is always busy and it is unlikely you can get in without one.

Enjoy Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Dave

This place IS so truly unique, people who haven't been there have no clue. I'd driven by it numerous times on a previous trip and saw the little boat by the parking lot and thought "Hmmm, maybe a high end Skipper's fish and chips". I never expected the private gardens, private beach, high end tiki bar decor and food and service to match.

We've got 1 great restaurant in South Kona (Keei Cafe) that can beat most or all the restaurants at the resorts here, but it doesn't compare to Mama's.

If there are other spots around the islands that can even compare, I want to know about it for future planning.

Well here is Negative vote for Mama's (but I don't eat seafood).

Must do place -- Haili Maili (spelling) General Store up country -- and the fabulous restaurent that TSandM mentioned in a strip mall south of Azeka's place -- on the 2nd floor of the mall. The food was VERY good -- an Asian-fusion cuisine. You won't find a place like it. And of course, there is always Maui Taco -- Best burritos around.

There's also Humu's in the Grand Wailea; Five Palms in the Mana Kai (Kihei); and Sorrento's (Kihei).

cra2:
What about Spago's in Wailea?
Spago's at the 4 Seasons has the name brand recognition, but after my wife and I tried it once, we continue to go back to the open air dining at 4 Seasons. I forget what they call it during the evening hours --- something Italian ---, but it has great service, good food, and awesome views of the ocean and sunset.

5 Palms, just a short distance south of the Kihei boat ramp is another of our favorites. Good classy operation with excellent service, food, and nice view of Molokini in the distance.

We are not so fond of Sorrentos, which is next door. Noiser, more closed in feeling with the much lower ceilings, and in a limited sampling of 3 or 4 times, the food just hasn't been as good as 5 Palms.

For Japanese try Sansei. On S. Kihei Rd (isn't everything in Kihei?) just across from Kalama park. My specific recommendation is the set dinner-for-two on the back page of the menu. Ordering this brings out a seemingly endless stream of tasty tidbits. We lost track of courses somewhere around the 8th set. They have both classic Japanese items and ones that have slight Hawaiian or Italian touches. Good quality ingredients and excellent preparation and presentation. Just a normal restaurant atmosphere with no outside seating or view.

Mama's Fish House on Hana Road just E of Paia has a great reputation and has continued to expand to take advantage of it. It's a "tourist trap" that is well worth going to and paying the premium charged. Very fresh fish, served in a sprawling, seemingly homebuilt restaurant that,while protected from rain, has the typical Maui "open to the breeze" sort of arrangement.

For Lahaina my preference is Pacific-O in 505 Front Street (south of the main downtown area, next to Lahaina Shores condo, the tallest building in town). IAO, right next door is another good bet.

----------------

There are lots of other restaurants that are nice, but aren't "fine dining" ---- BJ, Moose McGillicuddy's, Cooler's, Bubba Shrimps and many others in Lahaina. I particularly like 2nd floor seating at the Cheeseburger in Paradise on Front Street in Lahaina.

In Kihei there are places like Lulu's (bar/restaurant on 2nd floor in Kalama Village) and the Big Wave Cafe (in Long's Plaza at S. Kihei Rd and Pi'ikea. In the restaurant that used to be Stella Blues,which is now across the street).

Many of the golf courses also have good restaurants. SeaWatch, on Wailea's Gold Golf Course, is a good example.

Charlie99:
For Japanese try Sansei. On S. Kihei Rd (isn't everything in Kihei?) just across from Kalama park. My specific recommendation is the set dinner-for-two on the back page of the menu. Ordering this brings out a seemingly endless stream of tasty tidbits. We lost track of courses somewhere around the 8th set. They have both classic Japanese items and ones that have slight Hawaiian or Italian touches. Good quality ingredients and excellent preparation and presentation. Just a normal restaurant atmosphere with no outside seating or view.

I love Sansei - fabulous (non-traditional) sushi.

I second Sansei, great sushi. I really Alexander's in Kehei for a quick fish and chips lunch. I also like Da Kitchen, not exactly fine dining but GOOD!

I just got back from Maui two days ago, ate out every meal for 10 days.

Favorite place: Mama's Fish House - Pricey, but by far the best seafood I've ever had. I made reservations a few weeks ahead of time and got a 7:00 pm table on the night we wanted. Great place to go hang out before your dinner, walking the grounds/beach when the sun's going down is incredible. I still drool when thinking about the $19- ahi sashimi appetizer my wife and I shared, the maui onion soup was to die for.

Another winner, but not fancy: Kahuna Kabobs (Kitty-corner from Cheeseburger in Paradise, Lahaina): Inexpensive kabobs (steak, chicken, fish, tofu) and quite a few vegetarian items. Not fancy by any means, no sit in, you order through one window and pick up at another, but it's a great place to grab a quick lunch while shopping in Lahaina.

Least favorite place: Hula Grill (Whaler's Village, Kaanapali): The atmosphere is great, right on the beach, the place is hopping at night. THe problem is the food, overpriced and not very good, plus we waited 1 1/2 hours for a table and with a couple hungry kids, that didn't go over too well.

Sansei has a place next to the Foodland in Kihei; the owner, Dave Kodama, is a classmate. Further back in the same parking lot is a place called Aroma D'Italia-something. They had a chicken thing which was pretty good.

...question for Maui-ites: Now that IHOP is gone from Azeka's, where's a good place for breakfast?

Back
Top Bottom