Fine Dining on Maui ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Maui last Friday. Stayed at the Hale Pau Hana in Kihei (Across from Denny's) for 10 days. They soft slosed the beach due to a few people having bad experiences with box jellyfish, and hard closed it when a tiger shark was sited at the Kihei boat launch.

Another vote for Mama's. Very pricey, but well worth it. Call ahead (several days) for reservations.

Went to Ruth's Chris in Makena. Excellent steaks, great service.

Ate at Dave's/Moose's. Very good mexican food, and cool bar. They have some 85 kinds of tequila available. Read the walls...it's very interesting.

We have gone to the greek restaraunt (I forgot the name) behind Dave's in the past. It is always very good.

If you have a BBQ, pick up Azeka's ribs. They are awesome!

As for diving, we went with B&B Scuba (also located in the Azeka's center). Brad and Blessi are AWESOME! We dove with Blessi, and she had this increadible knack to know where to look to find the hard to spot critters. Bill, the boat captain was always there to pick up the divers when they surfaced, and Dave, the Dive Master, was super helpful (he does this stealth tank swap in betreen dives). Lots of groups will take you to Molokini and Turtle town - it's the treatment on the boat that makes the difference. Between dives, there are fresh chocolate chip cookies and pineapple available, and after the dives, there are sandwiches. Several types of drinks are also available. This was well worth the money, and if you book 2 dive days with them, you get a discount.

Once we did our boat dives, we decided to do some shore dives. For about $20, you can do 2 shore dives. Go to any of the dive shops and ask for a map and reccomendation - they will be happy to help out. The first one we did at Makena Landing (5 graves). This is the shore name for Turtle Town. It's an easy entry location. It's best if you stay to the right side after you get in, as there are some caves down there that are very cool. If you go towards the left, you end up in sand with nothing to see. We also did a shore dive from Kamaole 3. Lots of coral out there, but not lots of fish (except the Black tip Reef shark we saw).

Enjoy Maui - there's a lot to see and do!
-Rishidian

How's dining at the Kula Lodge these days? It used to be very nice, but my information's dated by about 30 years :)

Roak

Ps. Don't forget Komoda Store & Bakery in Makawao! Used to walk from my High School down there -- Makawao was a ghost town in the 70s, now it looks like Santa Fe, New Mexico!

Ate at Dave's/Moose's. Very good mexican food, and cool bar. They have some 85 kinds of tequila available. Read the walls...it's very interesting.

Dave's -- don't you mean "Fred's" ?

That's a different restaurant from Moose McGillicuddy's (the Kihei branch).

This is the shore name for Turtle Town.

Well... *one* of the Turtle Towns! :D

David Paul's in Lahaina.....

Kimo's (???torches, nice bar?)

roakey:
How's dining at the Kula Lodge these days? It used to be very nice, but my information's dated by about 30 years :)

Roak

Nice atmosphere and the Hot chocolate is pretty good... but that's all I've ever had there :wink:

kidspot:
Nice atmosphere and the Hot chocolate is pretty good... but that's all I've ever had there :wink:
Are you implying there's more to life than chocolate? You must be kidding! :)

Roak

(certified chocoholic)

roakey:
Are you implying there's more to life than chocolate? You must be kidding! :)

Roak

(certified chocoholic)
Well... aside from hot chocolate, there's chocolate souffles, chocolate cake and chocolate pudding, too! I think that's what he's implying! :D

If you want chocolate, try the "Hula Pie" at Leilani's (sp?), the oceanfront restaurant and cafe in Whaler's Village, Kaanapali, just across from the Hula Grill. As the menu says, "it's what the whalers swam ashore for".

I didn't list either Hula Grill or Leilani's in my list of fine dining, since they aren't in that category, and even the Rusty Harpoon, just above the Hula Grill doesn't quite get into that category. All 3 are fine restaurants though.

Before we bought a condo in Kihei and were staying in Kaanapali, the Rusty Harpoon was a favorite leisurely breakfast and whale watching spot for my non-diving wife while I was off on the boats.

I've always like the open air cafe section of Leilani's. Great place to kick back, have a nice lunch, and watch people.

The special feature of the Hula Grill is that 1/2 of the place is sand instead of floor. For cheap amusement, pick a spot where you can watch people's faces as they suddenly and unexpectedly find themselves walking on beach sand. :)

KrisB:
Dave's -- don't you mean "Fred's" ?

That's a different restaurant from Moose McGillicuddy's (the Kihei branch).

Well... *one* of the Turtle Towns! :D

Yep - It was Fred's. Good food, anyway.

-Rishidian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom