Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I’ve aged, the shallow sites appeal more and more to me. Just saying…
Yo tambien. Punta Sur Cathedral was my favorite for many years but the way most ops dive it it is a max depth of ~110', and I have always been into deco at the end. It's not for me any more, but there are other Cozumel dives that are IMO just as good without the depth and deco.

I'd also like to see (not suggesting you take on another project!) a list of top fave dive sites among S-board members...
Such a poll would be meaningless because most divers who have been to Cozumel have only sampled a few of the myriad dive op choices on the island. Many of us have formed relationships with specific ops (I know I have) and are not all that interested in trying others.

The good news is that with all the competition for business between dive ops, an op that provides substandard service will not survive for long, so even if you select one at random the odds are very good that you will have a great experience. Also, a preponderance of the dives are at the same dive sites, so a lot of the differences between ops is more about the boat ride than the diving itself.

Punta Sur Cathedral was my favorite for many years but the way most ops dive it it is a max depth of ~110', and I have always been into deco at the end.
I enjoy 150 foot dives and don't mind a little deco, but I'm a worse air hog than ever nowadays so don't request it anymore.
Such a poll would be meaningless because most divers who have been to Cozumel have only sampled a few of the myriad dive op choices on the island.
I misread it too and gave a long reply, which I deleted. He asked about sites.

Perusing that fabuous chart, and I admit to a bit of overwhelm. I've seen Scuba Tony mentioned numerous times on the Cozumel threads. How easy is boat entry from the water? Any glitches or limitations with them?

Perusing that fabuous chart, and I admit to a bit of overwhelm. I've seen Scuba Tony mentioned numerous times on the Cozumel threads. How easy is boat entry from the water? Any glitches or limitations with them?
You see that the maximum divers is six? That means he uses a panga boat, a small skiff, so you do a backroll entry when you get the signal. Is a well disciplined dive world, everyone would go at once so as to not rock the boat, but it never works that way. Just be prepared and go when told. On surfacing, the boat will come to you, you catch a rope along side it and pass your fins up (camera first, but I hope you don't take one as I hate to see divers with less than a hundred dives carry one*), then climb the ladder. The skipper will assist you as needed.

* If you do take a camera, it will distract you, and you'll probably lose it. Be sure your name and contact info are in a protected first shot on every card so if someone happens to find it, they might find you. State Farm has an excellent Personal Articles Policy | State Farm® you should get unless you get Trip insurance that covers losses, and don't forget to get a copy of the police report.

You see that the maximum divers is six? That means he uses a panga boat, a small skiff, so you do a backroll entry when you get the signal. Is a well disciplined dive world, everyone would go at once so as to not rock the boat, but it never works that way. Just be prepared and go when told. On surfacing, the boat will come to you, you catch a rope along side it and pass your fins up (camera first, but I hope you don't take one as I hate to see divers with less than a hundred dives carry one*), then climb the ladder. The skipper will assist you as needed.

* If you do take a camera, it will distract you, and you'll probably lose it. Be sure your name and contact info are in a protected first shot on every card so if someone happens to find it, they might find you. State Farm has an excellent Personal Articles Policy | State Farm® you should get unless you get Trip insurance that covers losses, and don't forget to get a copy of the police report.
Thanks, DD. Yes, the 6 max and panga was why I asked. And thanks for the advice, but I've been using a camera for most of the last 50 or so of my 99 dives. Which I realize is still just a toe in the water.

Yes, the 6 max and panga was why I asked.
Ok, well, it's the basic backroll, stay with your assigned buddy and the group, and on surfacing wait for the boat and ladder. There will be a briefing before every dive you should listed to carefully.
And thanks for the advice, but I've been using a camera for most of the last 50 or so of my 99 dives. Which I realize is still just a toe in the water.
Nah, it's much more than a start. You should know what you're doing by now. Do put your info in the first shot and protect it so it can't be erased, and pass it to the skipper before your fins. I assume that you have DAN Dive insurance - essential, but comprehensive Trip insurance is a good idea still as you are leaving the US, your medical insurance is probably not valid there, and bad things happen at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom