finally got some time ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks Bob. My expectations are for bad pictures on the first n outings. As long as n is not an infinity, I think I'll be able to grin through it :wink:

like uw photography, I imagine it will be a long while before I have the kind of bouyancy control that some of you here have... I'm not too bad in my dry suit now that I'm getting used to it, but then I haven't tried hovering two inches from the bottom and taking a picture at the same time :)

haze diver:
thanks Bob. My expectations are for bad pictures on the first n outings. As long as n is not an infinity, I think I'll be able to grin through it :wink:
in addition to the number of outings (like bob mentioned earlier), you should definitely
factor in that the more pictures you take, the more likely you are to get a good one.
for example, here are just a few pics i took of one octopus on a night dive last month:

200612071570octopuskn4.th.jpg
200612071572octopusre7.th.jpg
200612071571octopustl7.th.jpg

pretty nice, eh? :( i have at least 20 more shots of similar "quality" and even though
i took nearly 30 photos, i only ended up with one that was okay in terms of getting
the whole octopus and not being entirely blurry:

319721896_92a0d8bf87_m.jpg

i hope i will someday be able to take photos as good as bob's ... or even partway
close to as good. those squid shots are amazing!!! i can't even manage to see a squid -
they always swim away too fast; i don't know how he manages to get a picture of any!

anyway, just be patient, try not to get frustrated, and take lots and lots of photos,
and you're bound to eventually end up with some shots you like. :D

Thelawgoddess has a point. Anybody who has dived with Bob since he took up the camera knows that, for every lovely photo he posts, he took probably 50. There's a reason I've had time to perfect my back kick :)

haze diver:

like uw photography, I imagine it will be a long while before I have the kind of bouyancy control that some of you here have... I'm not too bad in my dry suit now that I'm getting used to it, but then I haven't tried hovering two inches from the bottom and taking a picture at the same time :)

Buoyancy/lung control are the keys IMO. When you have those "down", you will be essentially still and be able to hover and hold that two inches for long periods of time. This will assist you in getting pics like the tree worms in the cornucopia pic (as I call it). Most people can't get 3 or 4 inches from Christmas Tree worm without scaring it into its hole. When my patience is in tact :wink: and I am not watching over others, I like to just hover and wait until the wildlife starts behaving as though I am not there.

Well, I sure enjoyed trying out the camera last weekend. The visibility wasn't great, so I tried hard to get close.

I've uploaded a couple of the pics that I took to spaces: http://jerryhiggins.spaces.live.com
I can definitely see that this is going to make my dive hobby even more addictive than it already is :)

As you can see, I have a long ways to go... but it's a start.

I appreciate all the good advice from folks here, it definitely helped on my first couple of dives with the camera!

Another small piece of advice that I would give to new uw camera peeps is: remember to check your RBT once in a while :wink: time flies when your snapping pics.

thelawgoddess... what kind of octopus (and where) is that.. very cool!

Leopard.JPG

leopardcropped.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

The viz was terrible this weekend. I did get some shots of this Leopard Toadfish. I put this one up because it was one I had to hover and wait for for quite some time.

Nice pics missdirected... freaky eyes on that dude :wink:

haze diver:
thelawgoddess... what kind of octopus (and where) is that.. very cool!
yeah; he was cool ... and very patient, letting me follow him all over the place to take pictures. unfortunately i was shallow and stuck in a surge, so it was super extra-challenging. i believe it is a "common atlantic octopus" - they are actually very good at hiding themselves, and often look green in photos because of how they react to camera flashes. the photo was taken during a night shore dive in cozumel.

missdirected, that toadfish is cool! where did you find him???

Back
Top Bottom