Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
First, if I don't, I'll need to carry weight. Extra air is more useful than extra lead. Second, its good practice to dive in the same gear that I use for more challenging dives so that I can practice my skills.

The air vs. weight issue is why I tend to use steel 120's in my recreational set-up instead of AL 80's.

I also believe in the second issue. Buoyancy control is more difficult at shallower depths anyways. If I can practice there, I do far better at depth. Also, certain skills can cause buoyancy issues (for instance, shooting a lift bag). I would rather do my practice at 30' when I don't need that bag and perfect the skill than screw it up at 120' with a deco obligation when I need the upline. If doing it for that reason, I feel that I should be in the rig where I am most likely to have to do it. That would be my doubles.

diverbrian once bubbled...

The air vs. weight issue is why I tend to use steel 120's in my recreational set-up instead of AL 80's.

I have a couple of HP 120's that I would use if I were to use a single tank. Since buying the doubles, however, I haven't used them in the water much at all.

I recently purchased a fill whip. Now, I jack the 120's and bring them along when I'm doing two deep dives in a row. I can top off between dives.

Diverbrian, your posts were really courteous and thoughtful, which was surprising given the way Lawman made fun of you and your gear and called you names. :)

In DIR, the gear is what most people see, but a diver's attitude in and out of the water is equally important. Humility, a willingness to question, an awareness of and sensitivity to others, and an ability to respond thoughtfully to a situation without giving in to emotion, impulse or instinct, these are all great qualities in a diver. DIR teaches these qualities. Sometimes they only appear underwater. It's nice to see it out of the water as well.

I dive DIR and I'd dive with you any day.

Margaret

Are you allowed to dive with him ? Do your rules not say that you cannot dive with someone, who is essentially, a stroke !

No insult intended diverbrian.

Why do you consider him a stroke (your choice of words)?

DIZZY once bubbled...
Are you allowed to dive with him ? Do your rules not say that you cannot dive with someone, who is essentially, a stroke !

No insult intended diverbrian.

How can anyone Do It Right if ya can't agree what is the right "Right" to be doing?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom