Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony once bubbled...

Personally I think knowing your gear is far more important than the gear configuration you wear....along with excellent bouyancy control and buddy awareness.

tony

Gear configuration is just as important. If your hose gets snagged and ripped out of your mouth and you cant find your octo (speaking recreationally) you are in a world of hurt.

If you venture into an overhead environment and you have a long bc hose extending way up and it comes in contact with the overhead environment and you puncture it you destroyed your only air source.

Just 2 examples of why gear configuration is important.

I have 5 hoses total coming off 2 first stage regulaters. 2 regs, bp inflater, ds inflater and pressure guage. I carry a canister light as well. I am always getting the comment on how I have to many hoses. Maybe its that really long dangerous one I have wrapped around my neck. Considering a recreation style rig has 4 hoses on it and 5 if they dive a drysuit. not much different .

I don't think that the guys Lawman saw were DIR divers.

They may have appeared to be, but they were not.

There is a lot more to DIR than just buying a bunch of cool gear.

double125's once bubbled...

Gear configuration is just as important. If your hose gets snagged and ripped out of your mouth and you cant find your octo (speaking recreationally) you are in a world of hurt.

If you venture into an overhead environment and you have a long bc hose extending way up and it comes in contact with the overhead environment and you puncture it you destroyed your only air source.

Just 2 examples of why gear configuration is important.

I have 5 hoses total coming off 2 first stage regulaters. 2 regs, bp inflater, ds inflater and pressure guage. I carry a canister light as well. I am always getting the comment on how I have to many hoses. Maybe its that really long dangerous one I have wrapped around my neck. Considering a recreation style rig has 4 hoses on it and 5 if they dive a drysuit. not much different .

Exactly what I said....knowing your gear.... Rec gear, tech gear...you should know not to have dangling hoses/guages/computers/lights, (reguardless of the number), and you damn sure need to know where your back up is. (BTW, isn't that your buddy too?)

tony

cornfed once bubbled...

I'm in a rather cranky mode today so I'll just say that you don't get it and leave it at that.

Cornfed.

Try decaff. I get it, I just chose to dive for fun, rather than take it all serious with a stick up my keister.

I got my canine juxtaposition a little skewed there...as a native Texan I should know better.

Ok, back to bashing the trollmonger...

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I don't think that the guys Lawman saw were DIR divers.

They may have appeared to be, but they were not.

There is a lot more to DIR than just buying a bunch of cool gear.

None of the group is DIR, nor do we claim to be. I will admit to some similarity in rigs and advanced work in trim and buoyancy with those rigs. Beyond that, we are not talking anything like the DIRF classes that I read about. I wouldn't want to make either the DIR crowd or the great group of divers that I was with upset by claiming that we are DIR. That would be unfair and inaccurate.

Lawman was apparently under the impression that the Group was DIR...The title of his post is "Finially dove with DIR divers."

His conclusions about DIR came from observing a group that is not DIR...I think he would change his mind if he saw a group of real DIR divers.

boomx5 once bubbled...

Also, one of the key points in the DIR philosophy is to take only what you need, and leave behind anything you don't. Sometimes people (and I'm not saying this is the case with your friends Lawman) will buy all the "DIR" gear because they think it's "Doing It Right", when in reality it's not needed for the type of diving they do. You don't need doubles and a deco bottle for a 20' dive.

Again, as I was one of the people that Lawman is referring to I will point out why it was observed that doubles were being used for a 20' dive (or 70' for that matter).

It is about a seven or eight hour drive from Midland, MI to Tobermory, ONT. Unlike me, many of the divers using doubles opted to cut their gear by bringing only their doubles. The doubles allowed the users to get all four planned dives off of one fill.

I would have done this, but I don't have oxygen clean tanks (excepting my deco bottle). The LDS has EAN36 pre-mix which they cut down to make leaner mixes, so I typically don't need my tanks to be oxygen cleaned. The others did it solely to dive Tobermory and have nitrox fills available. They brought their rigs and two sets of doubles. While we were diving that day, the set of doubles that weren't on the boat were being filled at the shop.

So, for the shallow dives at the end of the day, many of us WERE using doubles or large singles in recreational rigs (me on Saturday). It may have seemed to be overkill, but by the time we got to those dives, those large tanks had been used on deep dives already. For the record, my deco bottle didn't go with me on the dives above 90' :) .

Dear in mind that Lawman is (1) simply attempting to troll; and (2) the same person who, a few months ago, defended his habit of kicking the sh*t out of Mexican reefs based upon his claim that he didn't dive often enough to be a competant diver. Lawman has defended his mediocre dive performance by citing to his lack of experience and his poor physical conditioning.

So I wouldn't exactly worry about him now.

I dive my double 104's for shallow dives for several reasons. First, if I don't, I'll need to carry weight. Extra air is more useful than extra lead. Second, its good practice to dive in the same gear that I use for more challenging dives so that I can practice my skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom